Sticky situation here regarding boudoir photo shoot with 18 year old girl

11 years 9 months ago #231077 by Todd Knight
Boy I could really use some advice here. I'm on the fence leaning towards no on this, but wanted to see what others would do. I've been contacted by a potential client who saw some photos I shot from another client. I've photographed 2 woman (in their 30's) last year for some boudoir photos. Personally it's not my thing, but money is money. They liked my work and have recommended this 18 year old high school girl to me. So she reached out to me and I've indicated I would need to check my schedule and get back with her.

Even though she is 18 years old, it still seems more on the wrong side. Plus I'm not sure what sort of legal issues could be lurking around.

I would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231080 by Sandy Smith Photos
Technically she is legal, but I see your point. I would walk on this one. Let someone else have that liability.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #231083 by McBeth Photography

Todd Knight wrote: Boy I could really use some advice here. I'm on the fence leaning towards no on this, but wanted to see what others would do. I've been contacted by a potential client who saw some photos I shot from another client. I've photographed 2 woman (in their 30's) last year for some boudoir photos. Personally it's not my thing, but money is money. They liked my work and have recommended this 18 year old high school girl to me. So she reached out to me and I've indicated I would need to check my schedule and get back with her.

Even though she is 18 years old, it still seems more on the wrong side. Plus I'm not sure what sort of legal issues could be lurking around.

I would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Card her. Anyone can say that they are 18, even me. It would be a whole lot easier for me to turn her down either way though ...

It is what it is.
11 years 9 months ago #231097 by Rich Beaumont
I'd have her call me in a few years. Legal and 18 or not, personally I wouldn't photograph that type of work till she was 21. These days you can't be safe enough with all the crazies out there.

Life's to short, SMILE!
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231122 by Rob pix4u2
unless you are shooting nudes there should be no problems if you card her and keep a copy of the age documentation. It is also wise to have a chaperone of your choosing on the shoot anyway for your safety no matter the clients age.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 9 months ago #231128 by geoffellis
if shes legal... then i dont really see a difference between 18, 40, and 60... ?
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #231153 by Henry Peach
If you are uncomfortable don't take the job, but she's an adult woman, and I say treat her like you'd treat any adult woman. For solo boudoir sessions I like a chaperone; I ask them to bring a friend or I hire a female assistant.
11 years 9 months ago #231154 by robbie

Henry Peach wrote: If you are uncomfortable don't take the job, but she's an adult woman, and I say treat her like you'd treat any adult woman. For solo boudoir sessions I like a chaperone; I ask them to bring a friend or I hire a female assistant.

Can count on you for some great advise!

11 years 9 months ago #231156 by Baydream

robbie wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: If you are uncomfortable don't take the job, but she's an adult woman, and I say treat her like you'd treat any adult woman. For solo boudoir sessions I like a chaperone; I ask them to bring a friend or I hire a female assistant.

:agree: Even doctors have another person in the room when examining someone of the other gender.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231171 by No Show

:agree: good advice

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231191 by Joves

Baydream wrote:

robbie wrote:

:agree: Even doctors have another person in the room when examining someone of the other gender.

:agree: :goodpost: s
I have to agree. I would card her and document it, and have her bring a friend or you have one to sign a Model Release with the age verification. Since Boudoir is dressed shot albeit revealing and sexy it is not close to nudes, which I would shoot if the client wanted that as well. It is not anything that I have not done before, granted now you have to cover you tail end more. Whether there is a problem is up to you, and you are the one who has to draw that line, what I would do is irrelevant.

11 years 9 months ago #231193 by effron

Rob pix4u2 wrote: unless you are shooting nudes there should be no problems if you card her and keep a copy of the age documentation. It is also wise to have a chaperone of your choosing on the shoot anyway for your safety no matter the clients age.

Make sure of her age, and a come along would be ok as long as its NOT her "boyfriend".......;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231201 by rmeyer7
Legally there's no difference between this client and the 30-something clients you've done similar work for. But if your own comfort or conscience tells you not to do it, that's the "law" that I would follow. Personally, I think this girl might look back in a few years and realize she was pretty immature at 18 and this wasn't her best idea. 18 may be old enough to be legally considered an adult, but go to any spring break destination and tell me if the college students there are all really functioning at an adult maturity level... So for me, better not to be part of something a client may later regret.

11 years 9 months ago #231209 by icepics
I agree, if you decide to do this, have a female assistant/chaperone present and verify her age.

Maybe something is telling you this is iffy, perhaps you picked up on some comment or inference that is making you question this, or then again maybe it's just that the age is young as an adult and that's causing you to wonder about doing this.

Trust your instincts.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #231259 by MYoung

icepics wrote: I agree, if you decide to do this, have a female assistant/chaperone present and verify her age.

Maybe something is telling you this is iffy, perhaps you picked up on some comment or inference that is making you question this, or then again maybe it's just that the age is young as an adult and that's causing you to wonder about doing this.

Trust your instincts.

Exactly. :agree:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024