WOW! This Pro photographer makes a big mistake with Groupon!

11 years 10 months ago #232785 by ThatNikonGuy
A friend just emailed me this link and read the first handful of comments, then scroll down and see how progressively things go bad for this photographer.

"$65 for a One-Hour Photo Shoot, a DVD of the Images, an 8”x10” Print, and 20% Off Additional Prints at Dana Dawes Photography (Up to $500 Value)"

www.groupon.com/deals/dana-dawes-photogr...tlanta/posts#c321807

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #232835 by KZAM
Big screw up that was. No single photographer can do that amount of work in a years time. Let alone the price that was listed for :blink:

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #232836 by geoffellis

ThatNikonGuy wrote: A friend just emailed me this link and read the first handful of comments, then scroll down and see how progressively things go bad for this photographer.

"$65 for a One-Hour Photo Shoot, a DVD of the Images, an 8”x10” Print, and 20% Off Additional Prints at Dana Dawes Photography (Up to $500 Value)"

www.groupon.com/deals/dana-dawes-photogr...tlanta/posts#c321807

mistake? looks to me like her mistake was being a thief and a fake.
11 years 10 months ago #232839 by NikkiG
I don't think that was her intent, I think things got out of hand because enough thought wasn't put into this plan.

11 years 10 months ago #232872 by geoffellis

NikkiG wrote: I don't think that was her intent, I think things got out of hand because enough thought wasn't put into this plan.

So you believe she had permission to use all those other photographers images to promote her business?? Even IF she did i still consider that fraudulent advertising. People are buying her service based on her portfolio... that doesnt even consist of her photos

Unless you believe a hacker really did hack into her web hosting and facebook accounts simply to discredit her. but it looks like the hacker went t o the trouble to disguise the stolen photos (cropping, etc) so that doesnt really make sense. Then i saw an excuse about how the webmaster/site designer screwed up... but that means the designer went looking for photos that were not hers? again having done web design... if a client sends me photos... i dont go and ignore her own and go looking for someone elses. doesnt make sense. she also says she shoots all over the country so thats why other people had her photos. but that doesnt make sense either... cause why would other photography companies have her photos... especially when you can view their sets.

even if it wasnt an outright scam to get peoples money... there is still no way this woman is legit.
11 years 10 months ago #232892 by Henry Peach
Glad she got busted, but of course a good con-woman won't let this keep her down long. She'll be back with another name and another scam. Getting busted is just part of the con business. There are always plenty of suckers ready to be fleeced.
11 years 10 months ago #232897 by Baydream
Let's be civil in our comments. We do not know all the facts but only those posted by others. Calling people liars and thieves without proof can lead to liabilities for the commenter and possibly this forum.
Read the Terms of Use if you have any questions.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #232991 by PhotographyTalk
Thanks for the heads up Baydream and all the emails regarding this thread. I'm opening this thread with a thought of caution, to close if things get out of control. We can exercise freedom of speech and still make our point and share our opinions with out having to go over the line. From taking a quick look (a really quick look), it looks like this person tried to leverage Groupon's massive reach to generate some revenue with out considering all "what if scenarios". Things got out of control and looks like the eject button was pressed leaving many people not thrilled with what happened. I'd be ticked off too... I'm purely speculating here. I didn't read all the post (just a few), and doubtful that I know all the facts... just putting my 2 cents in from a very high level.

So, let's keep things respectful considering I doubt to many have all the concrete facts. You can voice colorful opinions with out being offensive. Thanks for your understand!

Much respect,

Alex

11 years 10 months ago #233003 by Stanly
Good post Alex, I'm going to also take the high road on this one. Horrible planning and a couple honest mistakes can trigger a chain of events & circumstances that can make an angel look like a devil. I too don't know the facts but regardless what happened, those that paid money and didn't receive what was intended to them should get a full refund.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233017 by chasrich
That thread gave me a massive headache and now my eyes are crossed from the tension this has created. I'm giving my lawyer the go ahead and am going to sue everyone that has posted to that thread as well as everyone that has read it. I might even open up a class action suit - I need to call my lawyer back. :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching: :watching:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 10 months ago #233021 by Dori
:agree:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 10 months ago #233033 by Scotty
I am glad this fraud got caught before more people lost their money.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233034 by geoffellis

PhotographyTalk wrote: From taking a quick look (a really quick look), it looks like this person tried to leverage Groupon's massive reach to generate some revenue with out considering all "what if scenarios". Things got out of control and looks like the eject button was pressed leaving many people not thrilled with what happened. I'd be ticked off too... I'm purely speculating here. I didn't read all the post (just a few), and doubtful that I know all the facts... just putting my 2 cents in from a very high level.

Long before the issue of her ability to provide the service was in question... was her portfolio. Ill just provide some examples... pictures of her website, vs the actual website.

www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/49930...t-72157624962971022/
www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/50084...4962971022/lightbox/
www.tanyashields.com/2010/03/picture-per...ernity-photographer/

www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/49931...t-72157624962971022/
www.catherineclayphotography.com/blog/2008/09/fashion/

there are more... at least 8 photographers have claimed theft. but many have switched to flash websites and i either could not link to the images, or i could not find them on the new sites. Wasnt about to go through web archives/caches to prove this point.

anyways im not randomly calling names here... i believe there is more than adequate proof to substantiate my previous statements.
11 years 10 months ago #233035 by Scotty

geoffellis wrote:

PhotographyTalk wrote: From taking a quick look (a really quick look), it looks like this person tried to leverage Groupon's massive reach to generate some revenue with out considering all "what if scenarios". Things got out of control and looks like the eject button was pressed leaving many people not thrilled with what happened. I'd be ticked off too... I'm purely speculating here. I didn't read all the post (just a few), and doubtful that I know all the facts... just putting my 2 cents in from a very high level.

Long before the issue of her ability to provide the service was in question... was her portfolio. Ill just provide some examples... pictures of her website, vs the actual website.

www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/49930...t-72157624962971022/
www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/50084...4962971022/lightbox/
www.tanyashields.com/2010/03/picture-per...ernity-photographer/

www.flickr.com/photos/53954517@N05/49931...t-72157624962971022/
www.catherineclayphotography.com/blog/2008/09/fashion/

there are more... at least 8 photographers have claimed theft. but many have switched to flash websites and i either could not link to the images, or i could not find them on the new sites. Wasnt about to go through web archives/caches to prove this point.

anyways im not randomly calling names here... i believe there is more than adequate proof to substantiate my previous statements.

I saw the flickr as well. I completely agree with you. She lied and is a fraud. Groupon even issued refunds to everybody and banned her. The proof is overwhelming.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233041 by Stealthy Ninja
People lie on the Internet?!?! :blink:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024