Do you feel the need to head out the door with everything you own in your camera bag?

11 years 10 months ago #232821 by NikkiG
Strange question of the day. How do you head out door with out feeling the need to bring all your camera gear with you? My husband jokes with me all the time, regardless where we are going, I'll always have my camera with me, but also totting behind me is my Think Tank roller with every piece of equipment I own. Most of the time, I never even open that up other than to grab my camera. I would say a solid 80% of the time, everything else stays in the bag.

11 years 10 months ago #232841 by Misti Tracy
I feel the same way sometimes. That's why I purposely bought a smaller bag...to force myself to bring only what's necessary for the situation. I often still feel like I'm forgetting something though. I just know if I don't bring a particular lens, I know I'm going to wish I had it!
11 years 10 months ago #232859 by Stealthy Ninja
Nope. I like have a pain free back.
11 years 10 months ago #232861 by geoffellis
no. most of my adventures are on foot... so i only bring what i can comfortably carry. More if i think ill need it, but im not going to say, bring an 50mm lens if my plan is only to shoot birds or other wildlife. nor will i bring my 18-135 kit lens if im bringing my 18-55 and 55-200mm telephotos, and so on... or my flash on a walk down the beach in the middle of the after noon. weight adds up on your shoulder if you are walking a few miles/km, or holding it on your back as you shoot all day. (i go to a lot of festivals... cant exactly safely put it down next to you).
11 years 10 months ago #232879 by chasrich
I find myself often times just carrying the camera with what ever lens I put on it. I have a few memory cards on the strap and sometimes a spare battery in my pocket. The bag will come along but is usually in the car or boat. :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 10 months ago #232888 by Baydream
If I need to go light, I take my 18-200 with one body. Depending on where I am heading, I may add a macro or tubes and/or an additional body. The destination/route will determine whether I carry my regular bag, messenger bag or backpack.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #232889 by Henry Peach
I try to keep it simple and light when I can. Hauling too much stuff wears me out physically, and I even find that worrying about a bunch of different tool options can distract me from getting photographs created. If I only have one lens I spend more time thinking about how to use that lens. If I have 8 lenses I spend a lot of time switching lenses.
11 years 10 months ago #232954 by Ruby Grace
I use to be in the same boat, now when I head out when casual photography might be on the horizon, I'll just bring camera and a good everyday (24-70mm) lens.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #232961 by John37
My main mode of transpo is a motorcycle. So I'm not able to take everything. During the week I have to bring my laptop. My backpack allows space for my laptop, the camera, the flash and two lenses. If I'm not needing to take my laptop I have a Canon backpack that holds all the gear, with the exception of my stands, umbrella and shade. I have my camera is with me 99.9% of the time.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 10 months ago #233101 by Janos
Most times, I just have my camera with me with only one lens.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233104 by CWphotos
Very seldom do I take more than one camera & lens...and ( depending which lens ) one tripod. If I know I'm shooting landscape, I have my 50mm on, and in a holster. If I'm after birds, or shooting an airshow, I have my 100-400mm on and in my backpack, but take everything out of the BP except camera, lens, remote switch and one of those pocket type rain ponchos ( and a bottle of water, of course ) before walking out the door ( and my heavier tripod ). Depending on where I'm hiking, I might take along my Pentax K10D, with a wide zoom lens, in another holster...if I do that, I usually have my husband carry the Pentax. :rofl:

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 10 months ago #233156 by Janos

CWphotos wrote: Very seldom do I take more than one camera & lens...and ( depending which lens ) one tripod. If I know I'm shooting landscape, I have my 50mm on, and in a holster. If I'm after birds, or shooting an airshow, I have my 100-400mm on and in my backpack, but take everything out of the BP except camera, lens, remote switch and one of those pocket type rain ponchos ( and a bottle of water, of course ) before walking out the door ( and my heavier tripod ). Depending on where I'm hiking, I might take along my Pentax K10D, with a wide zoom lens, in another holster...if I do that, I usually have my husband carry the Pentax. :rofl:

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233360 by Tsoto
I don't have all that much, so when I'm leaving the house. I do have nearly all my gear with me.

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #233364 by Dori
:agree:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 10 months ago #233390 by Screamin Scott
A bag wouldn't cut it.....I'd need a steamer trunk !!Seriously, rarely do I pack a bag, but when I do, 3 addtional lenses would be tops. Most of the time it's just my camera & the lens I have on it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024