How often are you backing up your photos?

11 years 8 months ago #239600 by Prago
Personally I'm the type that will back up my photos when I get around to it. More like when I finally think about it. :rofl: :rofl:

I have friends that back up pretty much any time they add new photos, then I know people who rarely back up photos.

Which are you?

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #239617 by Frost Photography
I'm pretty much backing things up every couple weeks or so. I need to look into that software that does it automatically when ever something changes on computer.

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #239626 by hghlndr6
"Time Machine" backs up my Mac HD every hour. But w/photos, that's not good enough for me. I'll run backup as soon as I load anything new. Suffer an irreparable mechanical hard drive failure once and you tend to get paranoid 'bout such things. :-)
11 years 8 months ago #239675 by Henry Peach
Constantly. Client work is backed up immediately upon upload. I'm sometimes a bit more casual with personal work, but I don't see any point in waiting.
11 years 8 months ago #239676 by shelland
I have one automated backup that runs I believe every 3 hours and another that is once per day or so. And I'm not a professional - just personal files.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 8 months ago #239692 by effron
Every three years, whether I need to or not....B)
Honestly, if I were doing it professionally, I would do it with every action..i.e. when I download files to computer, also to a external HD.
I now back up images when I feel like it, being retired and just an enthusiast gives me a license to be lazy...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #239693 by Shutter Buddies
We back ours up weekly.

Check out my Kickstarter Project!
www.kickstarter.com/projects/2081896432/...se-to-shutterbuddies

www.shutterbuddies.com
www.etsy.com/shop/shutterbuddies
www.facebook.com/shutterbuddiespage

***PhotographyTalk users get 15% off their entire purchase with coupon code TALK15***

11 years 8 months ago #239767 by holdenmonty
I have a seagate 1tb hard drive and it has the program that I was able to tell it to backup the hard drive and it tells me if there are new files that are on my computer that haven't been backed up yet and I usually plug the hard drive into my computer once a week or so and it automatically keeps everything backed up

I love landscape photography because it captures the beauty of God's creation
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #239942 by hghlndr6
As I said previously, "Time Machine" backs me up automatically at a set interval. Today I experienced the real value of that. Nothing to do with a hardware malfunction; I simply screwed up. I saw a possibly interesting image in a very tight crop of a photo that I had already edited. So I edited the edit ... and liked what i saw ... and, without thinking, saved it ...WITH THE SAME FILE NAME. :( So of course my original xxxx-edited-1 is gone.

But wait, it's not really gone; I've got back-up. Launched "Time Machine," went back about 1-1/2 hours, found the original file, clicked "restore," clicked "yes I really do want to save both files with the same name." And bingo, xxxx-edited-1(original) is back!

Back-up often guys. It can save you from being your own worst enemy. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny
11 years 8 months ago #239961 by MYoung
Every time I upload new photos

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #240084 by chasrich
I keep the originals on my memory cards and a copy on my HDD. When I get low on memory cards I backup the hard drive to an external. I can then format the memory cards while still having redundant copies of everything. Once a month or so seems to be the cycle. Be fore purging anything off the computer drive I run a second backup on my other external drive which goes in the safe.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 8 months ago #240112 by Joves
Whenever the spirit moves me to do so. I have to 1 tb drives, so I back up on the slave. Then every once in awhile I back up on my 500 gig removable drive which is stored in a fire proof safe rated for electronic storage, and ammunition as well.

11 years 8 months ago #240140 by Joiemagic
One thing I do is store everything on external hard drives now... unfortunately, I did have one EHD that crashed on my completely... That was my original back-up drive that did back-ups automatically and when it crashed, I actually lost a few years worth of photos and videos.

I have not brought it anywhere to see if anything can be recovered... One of these days,I will try that.

Like I said, everything I download off the camera goes direct to an EHD. May start to do back-ups to the Cloud just to be safe.

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #240165 by FedererPhoto
I copy my files from the memory cards to the computer's 'main' drive when I get back from a gig. Then the cards get labeled go into a safe place where they are not touched again until the job is done and delivered.
After the copy onto the 'main' drive is done, I do another copy to the 'working' drive on the same computer. I then do a copy to external hard drive (EHD) A and an additional copy to EHD 'B'. The active externals contain roughly my last 15 commissions,or however many fit with plenty of room to spare (once I no longer have room, the oldest get moved to an archive dataset on it's own set of EHD's). I then go to bed with one of the external drives in my bedroom.

The following day I take both external hard drives to off-site location Y and Z where I drop off EHD A at Y and EHD B at Z... while there I pick up EHD C and EHD D. I then head back and make a copy of the gig to EHD C and D and put them on my shelf (NOT connected to anything - lightening will fry a EHD just as easily as your main computer! I dont' believe that a hard drive connected to your computer is really a 'backup'...no matter how many copies you have on it (ie: time machine) ). I then start work on the commission using the files on the 'working' drive, with nightly backups of the lightroom catalog (one catalog per gig) and any PSD's generated (that wouldn't have been in the intial backup of the RAWs) to the 'main' drive.

When the images are done I export the JPGs to the jobs directory (which contains everything about the job - RAWs, LRCAT, JPGs, webAlbum, etc). When done the full-resolution JPGs get uploaded to the cloud and the entire job folder gets moved off the working (wicked fast, but small) drives and replaces what was on the 'main' drive. From there, the folder gets copied to the 2 local externals (and to the two off-site ones next time they come back). The job then gets shown and delivered to the client. When I get back the "A-okay" I then go to the CF cards, format them, and put them back into the rotation for use.

Roughly a year later, I go back and delete all RAW images that didn't make the cut (I hold onto them in case something happens and the client goes "Do you have a shot of....").

It is unacceptable to lose a wedding image. I might lose a few days of work, but I'll be damned sure I'm not going to lose an irreplaceable image.

11 years 8 months ago #240181 by Alex
I have it set up to back up daily

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024