How often are you backing up your photos?

11 years 9 months ago #240340 by The Man
Are you guys making back ups on external hard drives?

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #240379 by Joves

Joiemagic wrote: One thing I do is store everything on external hard drives now... unfortunately, I did have one EHD that crashed on my completely... That was my original back-up drive that did back-ups automatically and when it crashed, I actually lost a few years worth of photos and videos.

I have not brought it anywhere to see if anything can be recovered... One of these days,I will try that.

Like I said, everything I download off the camera goes direct to an EHD. May start to do back-ups to the Cloud just to be safe.

Are you leaving the external running the same as your main computer? If that is the case then do not because this will lead to premature drive failure. I know many people leave it hooked up and running, that is not what they are made for, they are strictly a backup tool.

The Man wrote: Are you guys making back ups on external hard drives?

Yes I have been using externals for years as strictly a backup. But you must have stored so it is safe from damage like a fire proof safe rated for electronic media. I lost all of my film negatives in a fire years ago at the storage place I had them in. The beauty of digital is that now you do not need a lot of space to store the images.

11 years 9 months ago #240438 by Boydster
Another time machine user, I want to say mine get's backed up daily as well. I need to check to see.

Canon 7D, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Tokina 12-24
11 years 9 months ago #240612 by fotozone
I use Carbonite it backs everything up online. When I down load new photos or add any new file it is automatically backed up. I do like the fact that it keeps any file you delete for 30 days unless you manually delete it from Carbonite. I was terrible about doing back-ups and only signed up for Carbonite when I thought my computer had died along with ALL of my photos. Now I know that will never happen.
11 years 9 months ago #240983 by crystal
I back up weekly automatically to a 2nd drive on my computer, and to a server we have in our home.
11 years 9 months ago #240993 by rtenny
Lots of great idea and infos, I backup my (non photo) work each time before I work on it. But with my personal photos I am rather slack. I have to get that sorted asap.

11 years 9 months ago #241063 by prophotodeals
My studio does about 500 portrait sessions and 50 weddings a year, so backup is SUPER SUPER SUPER important.

Here is how our setup works in a nutshell.

1) Images dumped from CF cards to computer. Images remain on CF cards until images are 100% finished.
2) During the dump the images go to essentially 6 locations. 4 internal HD's (raid 5), and 2 external drives. This is done instantly.
3) After 6 months a DVD copy is made of the JPEG files (that way we fit a ton of shoots onto as few of discs as possible).
4) The images stay on all 6 drives until 6 months after the shoot at which time they are removed from the main raid 5 array, and are kept on just the 2 external drives, and the DVD copy.

There are other small steps in there like delivering to clients, uploading online, etc. etc. but that's the main stuff. Never lost an image yet :) knock on wood :)

11 years 9 months ago #241129 by John37
Lightroom 3 asks me to back up the files about every week. I need to start thinking a little more seriously about backing up my images at this point.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 6 months ago #255153 by FedererPhoto
Those of you that say you are using 'time machine'...

Are you actually doing backups (to something that isn't connected to your computer after you are done) or are you just doing it to another internal drive, the system drive, or an always-connected external?

None of the latter is really a reasonable backup. A single bolt of lightening will take everything you have. A virus - ditto. A fire - all gone. etc etc etc..

11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #255164 by hghlndr6
Time machine backup to external HD connected via USB. I'll leave it connected while working and disconnect it when done.

Good point though ... while connected it's vulnerable.
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #255272 by garyrhook

John37 wrote: Lightroom 3 asks me to back up the files about every week. I need to start thinking a little more seriously about backing up my images at this point.

That's not a backup of the files, that's a backup of the LR information only. You need an additional solution for the images proper.

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #255291 by butterflygirl921
I back up all my photos on 2 computers and an external hard drive

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024