How long did it take you to figure out your style?

11 years 8 months ago #240628 by KCook
Well, my preference in subject matter is still evolving, going on a half century now. Subject matter that is of zero interest to me came much quicker.

old crank

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 8 months ago #240631 by Joves

TheNissanMan wrote: From reading this thread it appears that people are talking about area's of photography rather than styles ie People, nature, sports with the exception of Dori who mentioned shallow DOF etc...

I would interpret a style as a type of shot within a Genre, for example when shooting drifting I try and get as slow a shutter as possible whereas others will try and freeze the action.

In terms of style I guess it depends on what you are shooting for.

My style, it depends on what I am shooting and what I have learnt so far, I have a hell of a lot to learn so until I comfortable shooting in all the genre's I would like to shoot there is no way I could apply a style to my shooting...

But I still have no style in particular. Style is a repeating type of shooting where you have a certain look to your work. That I do not have, I only have a perspective that I see that makes the subject appear as I want it. Which varies with the conditions and the subject. Unless I post a photo in here, you would never see one of my photos and say Joves shot that if you were in a gallery.

11 years 8 months ago #240674 by TheNissanMan
That is a different question :)

I bought my camera in Feb 2010 with the aim of shooting motorsport but ended up shooting wildlife, it was only september of last year where I got real access to my first motorsport event and now attend events where ever I can :)

11 years 8 months ago #240686 by Rob pix4u2
My preference in subjects is primarily ice hockey , which I shoot most, then american football, baseball, and landscape/cityscape. I don't get enough sunrise/sunset work or portrait work.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 8 months ago #240763 by icepics
How long did it take? - I have no idea. But I think as you go along you're drawn to whatever interests you, and as you learn and try different things you figure out what you're good at.

I had planned to go into journalism til I worked at a summer camp and decided to become a special ed. teacher, but maybe my interest in writing and journalism helped develop a somewhat journalistic style. And my style probably developed because of my way of seeing something to photograph, and capturing it as it happens, and with practice over time getting better at framing and composing pictures pretty quickly.

I don't do wildlife and landscapes because by the time a photographer who's good at that would be still setting up the tripod, viewing the scene, etc. I'd have shot a roll of film and be in the car ready to go. Everybody has their own ways of taking pictures I think, and for you John you're already figuring out you're good at working with people and at capturing a moment, whether it's at an event or during a portrait session - you're seeing it and learning when to release the shutter just at the right time and getting better at capturing the moment consisitently.

And Joves I think you do have a style, look at how many of your photos show some pattern or texture - pattern in clouds or a snow covered creekbed, or equipment and the shadows made, or texture in a stack of wood or a flower. It may not be easy to name or define the style, but there's a recurring use of pattern and texture in your photos that shows what you see in what you're photographing.

Rob I think photos like the one you posted are portraits of a sort, I think of them as in-game or event portraits I guess you could call them - to me they're portraits captured as a moment in time in a real-life setting. Some of your photos may not be considered landscapes but yet a river scene with fireworks is a landscape of sorts, just captured as part of an event.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #240768 by Scotty

icepics wrote: How long did it take? - I have no idea. But I think as you go along you're drawn to whatever interests you, and as you learn and try different things you figure out what you're good at.

I had planned to go into journalism til I worked at a summer camp and decided to become a special ed. teacher, but maybe my interest in writing and journalism helped develop a somewhat journalistic style. And my style probably developed because of my way of seeing something to photograph, and capturing it as it happens, and with practice over time getting better at framing and composing pictures pretty quickly.

I don't do wildlife and landscapes because by the time a photographer who's good at that would be still setting up the tripod, viewing the scene, etc. I'd have shot a roll of film and be in the car ready to go. Everybody has their own ways of taking pictures I think, and for you John you're already figuring out you're good at working with people and at capturing a moment, whether it's at an event or during a portrait session - you're seeing it and learning when to release the shutter just at the right time and getting better at capturing the moment consisitently.

And Joves I think you do have a style, look at how many of your photos show some pattern or texture - pattern in clouds or a snow covered creekbed, or equipment and the shadows made, or texture in a stack of wood or a flower. It may not be easy to name or define the style, but there's a recurring use of pattern and texture in your photos that shows what you see in what you're photographing.

Rob I think photos like the one you posted are portraits of a sort, I think of them as in-game or event portraits I guess you could call them - to me they're portraits captured as a moment in time in a real-life setting. Some of your photos may not be considered landscapes but yet a river scene with fireworks is a landscape of sorts, just captured as part of an event.

Do me next.:cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #240971 by crystal
From the start many years ago I knew I loved shooting nature. I only decided to shoot portraits/weddings/events just to make some money, but I really do not like shooting that field....so I stopped. Nature is what I love, and with some exploring I have found ways to sell my photos and it's working for me. I enjoy shooting all aspects of nature... landscapes, wildlife, flowers/macro. What that style is, I have no idea, I just shoot what I love.
11 years 8 months ago #240995 by John37
Very cool that it's working out so well for you. I wish I had an eye for nature and landscapes. But in those areas I seem to lose any spark of inspiration I may have. I have the will, but not the imagination to back it up. Perhaps I will develop a better sense for it as I progress. :)

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 8 months ago #241004 by Scotty

crystal wrote: From the start many years ago I knew I loved shooting nature. I only decided to shoot portraits/weddings/events just to make some money, but I really do not like shooting that field....so I stopped. Nature is what I love, and with some exploring I have found ways to sell my photos and it's working for me. I enjoy shooting all aspects of nature... landscapes, wildlife, flowers/macro. What that style is, I have no idea, I just shoot what I love.

So where's your shots from your last trip? :X

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241021 by Baydream
I seem to like wildlife best, then landscape. But while doing this, I see people doing interesting things, including taking photos. I still like to experiment with most other subjects except formal portraits and weddings. Tried those a bit and just didn't "feel it".
My interest evolve all the time and recently did some experiment with changing lights, like LEDs and glow sticks. Some fun.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241051 by Joves

icepics wrote: And Joves I think you do have a style, look at how many of your photos show some pattern or texture - pattern in clouds or a snow covered creekbed, or equipment and the shadows made, or texture in a stack of wood or a flower. It may not be easy to name or define the style, but there's a recurring use of pattern and texture in your photos that shows what you see in what you're photographing.

Well I do not really consider it so much a style some may though but Thank-You for noticing a pattern. Now I feel like Im in a rut. :rofl:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024