How are you deleting photos from the card?

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241135 by John37
I know HOW to do it. But what is your method? For example, when I push my SD card into my laptop LR3 opens automatically. I import them then delete them right there. Sometimes I'll go straight to the card from "My Computer" and select the ones I want deleted, then delete away. How about you?'

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 9 months ago #241141 by KCook
Once in a while in the field with the camera controls. But mostly with My Computer and my card reader.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 9 months ago #241143 by Darrell
I transfer pics from card to pc, than format card in the camera. I will sometimes delete during a shoot if 100% sure it is garbage.

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 9 months ago #241148 by effron
I rarely delete in camera. You can't judge a pic until its on computer. I transfer photos to comp via reader, then format card in camera....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #241149 by chasrich
Normally I delay erasing the images from the card until after there is a backup copy on a second hard drive - I then format the card in camera. At any given moment I might have three cards nearly full with a few more in reserve. After a backup (did this yesterday) I wipe them clean. My camera is having a problem so I am deleting memory cards with the computer currently.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 9 months ago #241152 by Vespista
Copy the keepers from the card to my desktop, then format in the camera.

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #241160 by Henry Peach
I don't delete off the card very often. I copy to my computer (via card reader), and keep the cards separate from the rest until I'm sure the pics are backed up. When I put the card in the camera I check to make sure that I recognize that the pics have been downloaded, and then format. Regular formatting is good mem card maintenance. Formatting identifies and isolates any parts of the mem card that aren't up to snuff.
11 years 9 months ago #241182 by CWphotos

Henry Peach wrote: I don't delete off the card very often. I copy to my computer (via card reader), and keep the cards separate from the rest until I'm sure the pics are backed up. When I put the card in the camera I check to make sure that I recognize that the pics have been downloaded, and then format. Regular formatting is good mem card maintenance. Formatting identifies and isolates any parts of the mem card that aren't up to snuff.

Almost exactly what I do. Copy to PC, copy to external hard drive from PC, then format in camera. The only time I delete in camera is if I'm shooting small birds ( for example ), and movement of any kind would scare the birds away, and I see that I might need card space. There will always be a few shots that I was certain about missing.

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 9 months ago #241186 by Baydream
I follow the transfer and backup process. If I get a shot that is OBVIOUSLY blown out, I will delete it right away. After the transfer ad backup, I always delete using the camera to format the card. It knows better than the PC how it needs it formatted.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #241205 by John37
I'm surprized more people aren't deleting on the field. I'm (proudly) a chimp'er! I'll delete the obvious OOF shots right then and there. I know some frown on chimping. But at this point I'd rather look like an amateur and chimp, then not check my screen and get home to find all my shots suck! :lol:
I'm just not confident enough yet to not look at my screen after every couple of shots.

11 years 9 months ago #241209 by shelland

Darrell wrote: I transfer pics from card to pc, than format card in the camera. I will sometimes delete during a shoot if 100% sure it is garbage.

Ditto.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

11 years 9 months ago #241212 by tattoodjay
I seldom delete on camera, but do delete after I import them to my PC as I have it also make a backup copy on another external drive

11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #241214 by Henry Peach

John37 wrote: I'm surprized more people aren't deleting on the field. I'm (proudly) a chimp'er! I'll delete the obvious OOF shots right then and there. I know some frown on chimping. But at this point I'd rather look like an amateur and chimp, then not check my screen and get home to find all my shots suck! :lol:
I'm just not confident enough yet to not look at my screen after every couple of shots.

I use my eyeballs in the process of creating visual art all the time. It works well for me when I am drawing, painting, and sculpting. I am thrilled that I can do it with photography now too.

Chimping has no bearing on how I edit photos or manage data. I always have plenty of memory with me, so space is never an issue. I don't delete in the field because I want to do my editing on a monitor. My current cameras have nice LCDs, but they aren't good enough for me to determine if something is slightly OOF or not. I have to look at it on the big screen. Also I've had more than a few shots that I didn't think were working out when I first viewed them on the LCD screen. Later they turned out to be the main ones I went with. I'm a better editor when I give myself time and a big screen.

As for obvious screw-ups, they already took up too much of my valuable shooting time. I'm not going to lose even a second more to them. :)

It's been common advice from my mentors and teachers in creative fields from writing to art to not make snap judgements about my work. Put it away for a while (sometimes years). Give it some time. Revisit it later. Your own opinion can change. It's easy to delete whenever. It can be hard or impossible to recover deleted files if you change your mind. I also find there is at least a little educational value in looking at my old photos even if I now I'm thinking "Peeeee-yoooooo! This stinks!" :)
11 years 9 months ago #241224 by John37
Very good point! :thumbsup:

11 years 9 months ago #241225 by aldyn
I delete the obvious stinkers in camera and otherwise, I format my cards in camera often.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024