Are breaking news media photographers exempt from model release forms?

11 years 8 months ago #241910 by KZAM
I've been watching in horror what has happened in Colorado and looking at photos of victims and families online. Some of the photos posted on Yahoo, MSN and other news sites have me wondering. When a photographer takes a photo of a victim in tears (as example) of a tragedy like this, are they able to use that photo legally or are they getting that person to sign release? I can't imagine they are getting people to sign these.

How does that work?

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241921 by icepics
Covering a news event would be considered editorial use (journalism); the photographers would be working for a newspaper, magazine, etc. I think the photos belong to the publication, it may depend on the terms of the contracts with their photographers. No, they wouldn't be getting photo releases under these circumstances, but then the usage wouldn't be for commercial or retail use.

Here are some guidelines - asmp.org/tutorials/licensing-guide.html .

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241924 by Stanly
Which bring up a good point about paparazzi, now how does that work with them?

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241925 by hghlndr6
Paparazzi get around the so-called "right to privacy" by shooting celebrities. There's a body of case law establishing that celebrities and public figures have far less expectation of privacy. They're fair game.
11 years 8 months ago #241939 by geoffellis

hghlndr6 wrote: Paparazzi get around the so-called "right to privacy" by shooting celebrities. There's a body of case law establishing that celebrities and public figures have far less expectation of privacy. They're fair game.

Generally when celebrities are photographed it is in public. There is no right to privacy in public spaces, aside from places generally accepted to be places where privacy is expected (bathrooms, change rooms, etc). So there is nothing illegal about it

The only potential legal issues i can see are stalking and harassment charges... not so much privacy issues.
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #241940 by hghlndr6
Okay ... maybe it's the Canada/USA thing. :) And it's not unusual for common, or common sense, definitions to differ from a legal definition. "Privacy" is one of those.

What we're really talking about here is "appropriation." Appropriation of ones name or photograph for commercial purposes without one's consent is considered to be an invasion of privacy under the common laws of certain states and has also found its way into certain US Supreme Court decisions concerning "privacy."

So yeah, it's a privacy issue, at least as far as the courts are concerned. And a non-celebrity, non-public person does indeed enjoy protection against such an invasion (appropriation) in a public place. That's the reason we get signed releases.
11 years 8 months ago #241941 by geoffellis

hghlndr6 wrote: Okay ... here's the Canada/USA thing again. :)

What we're really talking about here is "appropriation." Appropriation of ones name or photograph for commercial purposes without one's consent is considered to be an invasion of privacy under the common laws of certain states and has also found its way into certain US Supreme Court decisions concerning "privacy."

So yeah, it's a privacy issue, at least as far as the courts are concerned. And a non-celebrity, non-public person does indeed enjoy protection against such an invasion (appropriation) in a public place. That's the whole reason we get signed releases.

we're not talking about commercial purposes however. these images are used in "journalism"/publications/editorials. These people are deemed newsworthy. Same goes if you are joe-nobody who happened to be kissing in the middle of a riot. model releases are not needed. If they use the image to promote their perfume then its a liable/defamation issue

And from all the research i can gather, using ones name and likeness is a liable/defamation issue. Not a privacy one.

Eg... From the Stanford Uni Website

fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_.../chapter12/12-a.html

However, it is not an invasion of privacy to photograph someone in a public place or at any event where the public is invited. Such photos can be used freely for informational purposes, provided that the use does not defame or hold the individual up to a false light.

So... its generally not a privacy issue. and its not a Canadian thing.
11 years 8 months ago #241979 by icepics
The photo release is for usage, whether it's editorial, commercial, or retail. I don't think that covers how or where pictures are taken.

I believe the reasonable expectation of privacy in a publc place relates as mentioned to restrooms, locker rooms, etc. as well as to personal body space.

I guess it's up to the photographer in a situation like this if photos covering a news event are taken in a respectful way or not. Usually photographers at a crime scene would be taking photos for editorial use; if someone happened to be there with access to the incident and wanted to use their photos for retail or commercial use they'd need to first get photo releases.

asmp.org/articles/business-and-legal-faq.html

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #241993 by Joves

icepics wrote: The photo release is for usage, whether it's editorial, commercial, or retail. I don't think that covers how or where pictures are taken.

I believe the reasonable expectation of privacy in a publc place relates as mentioned to restrooms, locker rooms, etc. as well as to personal body space.

I guess it's up to the photographer in a situation like this if photos covering a news event are taken in a respectful way or not. Usually photographers at a crime scene would be taking photos for editorial use; if someone happened to be there with access to the incident and wanted to use their photos for retail or commercial use they'd need to first get photo releases.

Exactly!
Expectation of privacy is only for private places, that are not viewable from a public area, is a more accurate definition. For anyone shooting in public they can do so without restriction, so long as they are not using the photos for commercial purposes, if you want to use them for that then you have to retain a signed release. If you sell your images to a paper or publication you do not. Now to more define public and private, public places are those that are commons areas that are government/people owned, private places are those which are held by individuals, or corporate entities. So if you are in somebodies parking lot you can be restricted as well as any sidewalk that is on their direct property. Stores and malls are private property with limited public access for the purpose of doing business. This is where many people get into trouble when taking photos and thinking somebody is violating their rights, and they are wrong to think so. But shooting on city streets and sidewalks is fair game even if you are photographing into a private area that is viewable from it. This is where the other side gets it wrong. You have zero expectation of privacy when in public, people need to get over this personal space crap when they are out and about in public.

11 years 8 months ago #242004 by Gene.Culley
Well this was interesting to read B)

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #242010 by hghlndr6

geoffellis wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote: Okay ... here's the Canada/USA thing again. :)

So yeah, it's a privacy issue, at least as far as the courts are concerned. And a non-celebrity, non-public person does indeed enjoy protection against such an invasion (appropriation) in a public place. That's the whole reason we get signed releases.

we're not talking about commercial purposes however. these images are used in "journalism"/publications/editorials. These people are deemed newsworthy. Same goes if you are joe-nobody who happened to be kissing in the middle of a riot. model releases are not needed. If they use the image to promote their perfume then its a liable/defamation issue

And from all the research i can gather, using ones name and likeness is a liable/defamation issue. Not a privacy one.

Eg... From the Stanford Uni Website

fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_.../chapter12/12-a.html

However, it is not an invasion of privacy to photograph someone in a public place or at any event where the public is invited. Such photos can be used freely for informational purposes, provided that the use does not defame or hold the individual up to a false light.

So... its generally not a privacy issue. and its not a Canadian thing.

I don't disagree with anything in that Stanford link ... as far as it goes. It's a superficial treatment of a complicated subject.

My source was/is Mass Communication Law, Cases and Comment, 3rd edition; Gillmor & Barron; pp 311-359. (Yeah, I know it's an old edition). Can't provide a link; it's a big, heavy book.:)
11 years 8 months ago #242054 by Rawley Photos

geoffellis wrote:

hghlndr6 wrote: Paparazzi get around the so-called "right to privacy" by shooting celebrities. There's a body of case law establishing that celebrities and public figures have far less expectation of privacy. They're fair game.

Generally when celebrities are photographed it is in public. There is no right to privacy in public spaces, aside from places generally accepted to be places where privacy is expected (bathrooms, change rooms, etc). So there is nothing illegal about it

The only potential legal issues i can see are stalking and harassment charges... not so much privacy issues.

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #242093 by Scott Grant

icepics wrote: The photo release is for usage, whether it's editorial, commercial, or retail. I don't think that covers how or where pictures are taken.

:agree:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024