I just realized I've broken 5 lenses! How about you?

11 years 8 months ago #246477 by mlotziii

NikaTraveler wrote: 1. Left my camera on my tripod, legs all the way down and on carpet.

Our two year old daughter did this to us and the lens body completely broke away from the mount. Fortunately the camera body was ok and our local repair shop had it back to us in 2 days for only $150. A small price to pay for a $750 lens.

CAP GORILLA - Camera Lens Cap Holder
Order NOW: www.CapGorilla.com/order

11 years 8 months ago #246478 by Screamin Scott
What lens was it?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 8 months ago #246481 by mlotziii
It was the Canon 18-200mm a week after it came out.

So far it has actually been broken twice and fixed twice ... so I've got over $1k in a lens that is now under $600 :(

I think it is time to buy a replacement.

11 years 8 months ago #246515 by KZAM

mlotziii wrote: It was the Canon 18-200mm a week after it came out.

So far it has actually been broken twice and fixed twice ... so I've got over $1k in a lens that is now under $600 :(

I think it is time to buy a replacement.

18-200mm is a good focal range and nice all around lens. :thumbsup:

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #247760 by NikaTraveler

Joves wrote: In my 40+ years shooting I have broken a few, I never kept count except for the first one. Which was an old Pentax smc 35mm, that was broken at a Sex Pistols show. Someone slammed into me hard ripping my strap and it landed lens first, with the guy on top of it. After that I lost a few others either rock climbing, missing the bags when I was 3 sheets, a few of them tossed at the bag and a miss. I have been rough on myself and my equipment in my earlier years, but hell as I look at it being totally safe in life is no fun.

YES! :judge:

I think you beat me. :P That's the funniest part for me is that all of mine were just dumb luck. It's not that I've never used my camera when I was 3 sheets or rock climbing... I think I just get more careful actually because I THINK I'm gunna do something dumb in those sort of more high risk situations.

changetheverb.com ~Learning to Live Differently
11 years 7 months ago #247761 by NikaTraveler

mlotziii wrote:

NikaTraveler wrote: 1. Left my camera on my tripod, legs all the way down and on carpet.

Our two year old daughter did this to us and the lens body completely broke away from the mount. Fortunately the camera body was ok and our local repair shop had it back to us in 2 days for only $150. A small price to pay for a $750 lens.

And yet by your photo, she got to shoot another day! :) hehe. I would always let my little cousins use my camera and my family would freak out, worry warts. They were at least 5 and 8 though and took some pretty decent family snaps. I was very pleased. I think we gotta trust kids more... after they leave the terrible twos.

I guess with my kindergarteners though usually not so sharing, cus there were 20 of them and if one got to hold it, there would have been a mad rush by the rest. No bueno! :)

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #247773 by icepics
I've used cameras with the 'terrible' twos & threes, and never had one broken. Of course they were Fisher Price cameras (which I still have and one is usable - and 110 film is back, will have to get that out!!). Or I let them use disposables, or plastic point 'n shoots. Kids learn how to push a button pretty young - use a remote! - so they seemed to have fun taking pictures.

What'd you do Dennis, let SId Vicious borrow your camera??!!!

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #247777 by mlotziii

NikaTraveler wrote: And yet by your photo, she got to shoot another day! :)

One word: Epoxy!

On Saturday I sat down with some epoxy and a small syringe. I took out all the screws that were stripped and put some epoxy in the sockets (added a little extra for good measure) and then installed the screws again.

Still holding

11 years 7 months ago #247843 by digishutterbug
I broke my first lens recently and bought a Canon ef 28-35mm. Used it for the first time yesterday and it looks as if I might like it.

11 years 7 months ago #248704 by NikaTraveler

mlotziii wrote:

NikaTraveler wrote: And yet by your photo, she got to shoot another day! :)

One word: Epoxy!

On Saturday I sat down with some epoxy and a small syringe. I took out all the screws that were stripped and put some epoxy in the sockets (added a little extra for good measure) and then installed the screws again.

Still holding

Macgyver! Nicely done. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024