Changing lenses with high humidity? Heading to Amazon jungle for tour!

11 years 7 months ago #248339 by Monster
Hey everyone. A few friends and I are putting some serious thought into an Amazon jungle tour this fall. ( www.amazonbraziljungletours.com/index.ph...d=36:tours&Itemid=68 )

I'm thinking about just bringing one camera body and 2 or 3 lenses at most. My question is about changing a lens while in such humid conditions. Do I have anything to worry about when changing out lens at normal speed in the jungle with high humid conditions? I know the camera has all the weather seals to keep moisture out when all locked up, but just not sure how photographers are swapping out lenses or if this is something I need to even worry about.

Thanks for the help.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #248377 by effron
Maybe concern if not worry. I'd pack some 30/33 gallon trash bags, and maybe use those if it gets real humid, dusty or buggy. They double nicely for stuffing whole a camera bag into it when it rains....which is possible in the "rain" forest.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248382 by Meskill
What an adventure! As stated, I'd just bring some trash bags and don't forget to get your shots!

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248419 by Jim Photo

Meskill wrote: What an adventure! As stated, I'd just bring some trash bags and don't forget to get your shots!

:agree: literally!

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248421 by Joves
Well you could get some silica gel packs to stuff in your bag to suck up moisture. Changing lenses is better in the humid air generally because there is less dust. You have more problems with dust than moisture.

11 years 7 months ago #248457 by Moossmann
I was just looking at that Amazon tour site, that looks like such a good time. How are you going to charge your batteries in the jungle?

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248595 by Village Clown
I'm jealous! Sounds like you got some good advice here. Enjoy yourself and hope to see some photos from the trip.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248668 by Uplander
Toss in some silica gel packs into you camera bag and just swap out your glass in a plastic bag, you'll be fine.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248724 by Boydster
7 Day survival one looks cool too. It's funny that that say bring a swim suit. There is NO way I would be jumping in that water down there. :rofl: Unless I can clearly see 20 feet of water, I'm not going in. :whistle:

Canon 7D, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Tokina 12-24
11 years 7 months ago #248825 by Jeffster

Boydster wrote: 7 Day survival one looks cool too. It's funny that that say bring a swim suit. There is NO way I would be jumping in that water down there. :rofl: Unless I can clearly see 20 feet of water, I'm not going in. :whistle:

:agree:

You ever watch that show with that Jeremy (forgot his last time) Monster fish or something like that :huh: Anyway he shows some huge and crazy looking fish pulled out of the Amazon.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #248948 by Solstar
I live in Costa Rica and swap lenses all the time, you should be fine unless it's raining.
I wrote an article on a challenging moisture laden gig. It's not quite that deep in the jungle but it's close. Good luck, have fun.

foto.cr/2012/02/13/osa-peninsula-in-costa-rica-go-there-now/

11 years 7 months ago #249227 by Carlos

Solstar wrote: I live in Costa Rica and swap lenses all the time, you should be fine unless it's raining.
I wrote an article on a challenging moisture laden gig. It's not quite that deep in the jungle but it's close. Good luck, have fun.

Must be a tough life living down there. How long have you been there?

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #249303 by Stealthy Ninja

Solstar wrote: I live in Costa Rica and swap lenses all the time, you should be fine unless it's raining.

Yeh so long as you don't go from air conditioning to outside (your cold camera will condense the water really fast) you should be fine swapping lenses. You should be doing it as fast as possible anyway (keep dust out).
11 years 1 month ago #274330 by KimonSwarts

://foto.cr/2012/02/13/osa-peninsula-in-costa-rica-go-there-now/

I agree..Ideal season for photography in Costa Rica verano.Which starts from December to May,and it is also consider to be the ideal time for tourists also.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024