Is there a way around light pollution when shooting stars near city?

11 years 7 months ago #250084 by Justin
I think I know the answer to this, but you never no so I'm going to ask. Are there any special filters that cut down on light pollution when you are shooting stars near city lights?

I'm really beginning to think this is a dumb question, but I'm going to hit submit anyway.

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250096 by effron
Other than filters, a couple possibilities are get out of town, or wait for the certain grid crash....... :P
www.knoxvilleobservers.org/dsonline/tips/lprfilters.html
www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/FILTERS.HTM

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250106 by MajorMagee

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #250111 by bluehouse
I think in night there are less pollution and there are some places where there are less pollution.

11 years 7 months ago #250145 by KCook
I wouldn't count much on filters. But, if you can't achieve much distance from the city, at least try to find a high hill or ridge that will block some of the light from the city center. Plunk yourself down behind this hill, not on top of it! Plus, get as far away from any lit ball fields as you can, those places really kick out the light.

dim Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago #250146 by Nod
Would using a lens hood help? I would think it would block light from the sides. I live far enough out in the country so I don't have this problem.

11 years 7 months ago #250147 by effron

Nod wrote: Would using a lens hood help? I would think it would block light from the sides. I live far enough out in the country so I don't have this problem.

No. The problem is the light bouncing around the moisture and particles(pollutants) in the air.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250159 by Joves
Pretty much no. For telescopes they make a Light Pollution Filter, but they do not really work. Well for long exposures they do not, they are more for observational astronomy. But still the LP kills off the magnitude/brightness of the stars. For you going to the Keys is better but that is only true for pointing South, the problem is for those lovely circular trails you need to point North.

11 years 7 months ago #250346 by Wyrick Photography
:agree: distance from the city and elevation is going to be your best friend. That is why all the big telescopes are in remote area's of the planet as high up as they can get.

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250361 by KCook
Actually, observatories are sited on high mountains to reduce the water vapor content in the lightpath, not so much to defeat city light pollution.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago #250378 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Actually, observatories are sited on high mountains to reduce the water vapor content in the lightpath, not so much to defeat city light pollution.

Kelly

I did not know that. Fascinating.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250385 by KCook
By the same reasoning arid regions are preferred for observatories. Such as a deserts of Arizona and Chile. The very highest elevations in the Hawaiian Islands are also arid.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #250488 by Baydream

KCook wrote: By the same reasoning arid regions are preferred for observatories. Such as a deserts of Arizona and Chile. The very highest elevations in the Hawaiian Islands are also arid.

Kelly

:agree: The ideal is for altitude (less deflection) and less humid areas. That said, I have gotten some excellent star shots (meteor showers) by the side of the bay in a bit of a valley. That is one sot of light pollution toward the northeast by some trees help hide it. I usually have to boost the contrast to darker the sky and brighten the stars/meteors a bit (plus convert to B&W to get rid of a reddish cast).

This summer has been humid so less opportunities have been available.

Not sure where you are located but a local astronomy club may have some site recommendations.

I just checked on your location, Daytona Beach could be tough because of humidity and congestion but you may fine some areas around state parks and wildlife areas there are acceptable. Just do not end being alligator bait.
Shooting over the oceam does raise some addl humidity that could cause distortion,

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250496 by KCook
The nice thing about FL is that going all the way down to the Keys would give you a nice view of the Milky Way. Just be sure to schedule that for a new Moon! What part of the year will make a big difference too.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 7 months ago #250568 by MYoung
There are good reasons why NASA has Hubble telescope in space

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024