Highest paying photography jobs

11 years 7 months ago #250838 by Ben Howen
What are the highest paying photography jobs out there?

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 7 months ago #250859 by P2CDude
I don't really think there are any high paying photography JOBS out there. People are not going to pay you big bux as an employee....(essentially the definition of a job)

Now...on the other hand, if you get really good, practice quite a bit, understand marketing and promotion, excell at customer service and the sales process... Then yes, you can make a good living off of photography. But learning to master all of those elements on top of your photography skills takes time, hard work, and just a weee bit of luck as well.

Good luck. Photography is many times like mining for gold. Most people don't get into it because of a desire to be rich...some achieve it, but you have to love the journey as much as having a desire for the destination.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
11 years 7 months ago #250872 by Scotty
Commercial photography is probably the highest paying.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #250882 by Vahrenkamp

Scotty wrote: Commercial photography is probably the highest paying.

:agree: successful commercial photographers or it's all determined by level of success

Photo Comments
11 years 7 months ago #251016 by Soccer Mom
If you have the skill and right marketing wedding photographers or commercial photographers.

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #265396 by Preston
About the the fine art photographers who sell their prints for over $500,000 (like that tricycle!)

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 55-250 IS
11 years 3 months ago #265453 by Superman
All dependent on how experienced you are.

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #265501 by Joves

Preston wrote: About the the fine art photographers who sell their prints for over $500,000 (like that tricycle!)

But the catch here is you have to get noticed by the right people in the art world. For regular steady work it is as Scotty said, commercial, and then wedding as Mom said. Though the second is much like getting art gallery gigs compared to the commercial. And you better know someone to get into that, or get lucky. Which is why most photogs free lance more than anything, this includes for rags like Nat Geo. Then in that case you need to be a writer as well.

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #265547 by Stealthy Ninja
Like Joves suggested in his post. Nat Geo guys do ok for themselves and get to travel about a lot. They also get some pretty nice jobs for other companies because of the Nat Geo title.

I've worked with one once (not naming names). He was bit arrogant at first, assumed I lacked any knowledge of photography because I didn't instantly know how to work HIS tripod and I put his camera body in his bag for him with the lens still attached... he changed later when I pointed out why his camera was distorting on the edges... still "jerk" behaviour is "jerk" behaviour. But I did learn that he gets assignments all over the place from companies such as Disney and so on. Get's paid a LOT too. Still he didn't strike me as particularly rich... despite him having connections at the best/most expensive hotel in Hong Kong, he stayed in the YMCA (the YMCA of Hong Kong is a quite nice Hotel, but it's hardly 5 star).
11 years 3 months ago #265601 by Julie Staas

Joves wrote:

Preston wrote: About the the fine art photographers who sell their prints for over $500,000 (like that tricycle!)

But the catch here is you have to get noticed by the right people in the art world. For regular steady work it is as Scotty said, commercial, and then wedding as Mom said. Though the second is much like getting art gallery gigs compared to the commercial. And you better know someone to get into that, or get lucky. Which is why most photogs free lance more than anything, this includes for rags like Nat Geo. Then in that case you need to be a writer as well.

:agree:

Country Girl out for a stroll
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #266157 by Ben Howen
Well either way, a ways away for me. But good to know where the bulls eye is!

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #266169 by Scotty

Ben Howen wrote: Well either way, a ways away for me. But good to know where the bulls eye is!

Food photography when you get a high end client base built you can make $200,000-$300,000 easily. You need a whole staff and design team though. Commercial on average makes the most with Wedding right behind it. Wedding you can make a killing but you have to be highly skilled and consistent. Photography has a lot of money in it, but it's all about the business and marketing end like others have discussed.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #266417 by Henry Peach
The most profitable job in photography is selling stuff to photographers. Come up with some sort of gizmo we all think we can't live without, and you'll be a millionaire.
11 years 3 months ago #266446 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: The most profitable job in photography is selling stuff to photographers. Come up with some sort of gizmo we all think we can't live without, and you'll be a millionaire.

:rofl:
Yeah that is a fact. You do not even have to make it a live without item, just make it ultra cool and you are good to go as well.

7 years 6 months ago #498454 by CateLewitt
I work as a freelance photographer and the highest paying photography jobs I've ever taken are here . This freelance job board has very high rates and is commission free.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024

In the great Canon R6 vs R6 Mark II, which one is best? Is it the original, groundbreaking R6 or the mildly updated and newer R6 Mark II? Let’s dive in and find out!

Apr 03, 2024