Sorting through photos after the event is the worse!

11 years 6 months ago #253393 by Studio Queen
I've shot a couple weddings last weekend and had a corporate event last night that I shoot as well. I have nearly 4,000 photos I need to sort out. Ehhhhhhh I would really be curious how much time others are soaking into sorting out photos? What sort of tools are you using to speed up the flow of things?

Photo Comments
11 years 6 months ago #253432 by Rob pix4u2
I routinely shoot 900-1100 frames per game and on a busy week that works out to about 4000 shots to edit.. I just slog through each one and save the keepers. It generally takes 4 hours per game so about 16 hours for 4000. It becomes a full time job just to do the editing then I have to write up a game article to go with the pix. yes it is labor intensive but overall it is worth it in the end.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 6 months ago #253462 by Solstar
I've found that Lightroom helps a lot since I can tag filter and categorize as I go, but it's still a lot of time.

11 years 6 months ago #253463 by Darrell
I put a pot of coffee on, some music or podcast, may take the laptop out on my deck, get comfortable and start sorting than editing. When i get tired I stop for another day. I may spend 8 hours working on an event that only lasted 2 or 3 hours.....

My first step is to rate each image than I only work with the 4&5 star rated pictures

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 6 months ago #253619 by Henry Peach
2 to 4 hours editing and processing per hour shooting.
11 years 6 months ago #253702 by Joves
Even when you do not shoot events, and fill up cards it is a pain to sort through them. I can easily spend a couple of hours doing it. But it is still better than doing film, and having to develop, and make contact sheets on a few rolls.

11 years 6 months ago #253704 by effron

Joves wrote: Even when you do not shoot events, and fill up cards it is a pain to sort through them. I can easily spend a couple of hours doing it. But it is still better than doing film, and having to develop, and make contact sheets on a few rolls.

This is the gospel. I shoot ten times more photos, maybe more than in the film days. I don't miss the working all night one bit. Or the smell....... :angry: :)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #253826 by Henry Peach

Sorting through photos after the event is the worse!

It can be tedious. Especially if you have a lot of similar photos. I found it inspired me to be more selective when shooting. Obviously I don't know the details, but 4000 photos for one event sounds a bit much to me. How many photos are you delivering? How many is the client going to use? 75 really good photos is better than 500 good photos most of the time. For me an all day event usually results in about 1000-1200 exposures, and that still takes me days to edit and process.
11 years 5 months ago #253829 by Stealthy Ninja
Only 4000. What were you doing slacking off so much?! :p
11 years 5 months ago #254250 by Studio Queen
So are most of you using Lightroom?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #254257 by garyrhook
LR totally rocks.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #254333 by Happy-pixel
Lightroom is your friend :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #254408 by Moe
Yeah I would rather be out behind the camera too, but it needs to be done. Lucky for us there is Lightroom!

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #254610 by Cathy Kadolph
Lightroom is such a great tool for this. I remember pre-lightroom days for me and organizing photos was a nightmare!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #254626 by BrandyMaeD
I find the sorting my least favorite part of photography. While looked at them the first time, I go ahead and delete the ones that I know I won't be using. That way, I can narrow them down from the start and not spend additional time messing with the ones, or oragnizing the ones, that I know I can't use. Organizing with Lightroom has come in handy for me too. I would suggest giving that a shot.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024