How are you keeping your sensor clean?

11 years 4 months ago #261686 by April77
I need to find something that works here. I just got back from shooting an event and all the photos have these annoying dust dots. How are you all keeping your sensor clean?

11 years 4 months ago #261700 by effron
I don't keep my sensor clean, however I'll make the attempt soon, I have some Eclipse and pec pads ready to give my D700 a once over. Seems every couple years if I'm planning on keeping a body, I ship it off to Nikon repair for a CLA. Usually comes back looking pretty good.... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #261708 by Henry Peach
I used to have a fairly regular sensor cleaning routine. Once a month I'd blow the cameras out, and once a year I'd wet clean with Sensor Swabs and Eclipse. More often if I was noticing problem dust. My newer cameras all have some sort of vibration cleaning feature, and it seems to work pretty well. I only get out my blower when I see a problem speck, and I don't think I've wet cleaned any of them. The majority of my photographs are shot at f/4 or faster though. My sensor could be a mess, and I'd never see it in the pics.

Sensor Swabs work great. I sort of balked at the price at first, but if you aren't wet cleaning often then a box will last years.
11 years 4 months ago #261742 by Joves
Rocket blower for the most part, and not that often. If there is something that will not come off with that then the wet cleaning with the Pecpads, and Eclipse Drops. Wet cleaning should always be the last resort, and used only when something will not come off with a blower.

11 years 4 months ago #261771 by Stealthy Ninja
I keep it clean by changing lenses a fast as possible. Today my friend changed a lens on my camera and he took one lens off, carefully put that on the ground after carefully putting on the caps etc. (all the while dust is floating into my camera). Then he carefully picks up the other lens and carefully puts it on. Sheesh. My camera was open for 15-30 seconds.

Me, I get the lenses ready and the actual swapping process is less than a 1/2 second.

I sure hope my friend didn't get dust on my sensor. Lucky for me he had the sense to hold the body face down and the room was pretty clean etc.
11 years 4 months ago #261783 by Camera Diva
True, but if you try to break land speed records swapping out a lens only leaves room for dropping a lens.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #261785 by effron

Camera Diva wrote: True, but if you try to break land speed records swapping out a lens only leaves room for dropping a lens.

I hear that. I don't care how fast you can swap out a lens, if you do dust will get into the camera. It must be cleaned sometimes, and its a good idea to know how...... ;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago #261807 by Stanly
Rocket Blower is OK, but regular service is the best IMO. Have a pro clean your camera up good for you.

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #261817 by Stealthy Ninja

effron wrote:

Camera Diva wrote: True, but if you try to break land speed records swapping out a lens only leaves room for dropping a lens.

I hear that. I don't care how fast you can swap out a lens, if you do dust will get into the camera. It must be cleaned sometimes, and its a good idea to know how...... ;)

You can drop a lens many ways. I've changed lenses this way hundreds of times and never dropped it.

You can feel free to have your sensor open to dust. I've never had to clean mine.

I do sell bodies semi fast though. ;)
11 years 4 months ago #261824 by Henry Peach
I do my best to avoid leaving cameras laying around without a lens or body cap, but I don't worry too much about dust. Once again digital makes the problem so much easier to deal with. I only have to spot one print instead of each print. 35mm film is so grainy that dust is hidden, but as bigger format film is used it becomes more apparent. A view camera (and an enlarger) is basically a large air bellows; it's almost impossible to avoid dust. The marks made by dust specks and lint threads embedded in the neg emulsion of 4x5 film leap out. Some people were good enough to spot the neg, but most of us had to do each print.

www.largeformatphotography.info/dust-spotting.html

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024