Matte or Gloss?

7 years 5 months ago #264615 by Fiona
Is Matte finish the new gloss? :P I have a couple prints I'm ordering and on the fence about the finish of the paper. These are B&W portraits I've done. I will be framing both and putting behind glass. Now that I'm typing this I'm leaning towards the matte finish, just to have some texture. What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 5 months ago #264622 by internetchick
I've never been a fan of gloss.

7 years 5 months ago #264625 by Darrell
I use to be a fan of matte finish, until a photographer showed be two pictures side by side, the colour depth with the gloss was amazing. I now use gloss 90% of the time.... B&W could very well look better with matte....

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

7 years 5 months ago #264626 by crystal
Is matte finish the new gloss??? Well that is your opinion if that is how you feel. If you want matte, go with matte, if you want gloss go with gloss.

7 years 5 months ago #264632 by icepics
I've always liked gloss better, especially with my B&W; I think it can enhance the sharpness and depth. But I suppose it's really personal preference.

Sharon
Photo Comments

7 years 5 months ago #264683 by blinden
For b/w I like a matte surface like Smooth Fine Art or for added wow, Finestra Silver Metallic or Pearl.

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

7 years 5 months ago #264706 by Ben Mayer

blinden wrote: For b/w I like a matte surface like Smooth Fine Art or for added wow, Finestra Silver Metallic or Pearl.

:iagree: matte :thumbsup:

7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #264737 by Henry Peach
I've always preferred semi-matte. Like luster, pearl, type E surface, glossy fiber baryta papers, etc...

7 years 5 months ago #264751 by Joves
Well to me it really depends on what the subjects are that you are printing as well. I too if I am going towards the duller finish stay with the pearls and luster papers over a straight matte.

7 years 5 months ago #264888 by NickSano
I don't care for gloss finish to much myself. I'm more into the flat finishes. If you want a gloss look, you can always put the print behind glass.

Photo Comments

7 years 5 months ago #264891 by Darrell
Have to disagree with Nick, not on what he likes ....but a gloss print is not the same as a matte finish behind glass. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.

7 years 5 months ago #264894 by Joves
Well glossy does have its place. For example when I was using grainy B&W film, glossy was the paper of choice. The flatter papers took away the edginess of the effect. Then there are subjects you want a hard edge on, and that is where glossy is perfect.

7 years 5 months ago #264896 by Darrell
:agree:

7 years 5 months ago #264897 by boriqua latina
yup i agree too with joves answer...

7 years 5 months ago #264921 by icepics
I discovered ferrotype plates not too long ago and have started using those after I run prints thru the fixer to get a shiny glossy finish (w/traditional photo paper that is). I have been trying out various inkjet papers with different finishes and I agree, it depends on the subject and your style/preference.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020