Landscape and wildlife photographers, what hiking boots do you own?

11 years 2 months ago #265775 by Justin
I need a good pair of boots to keep my feet warm during hikes in the winter months. Normally I wear just my sneakers, but these don't cut it this time of year. Whats a good boot that goes above my ankle and is water proof? I don't want to spend more than $175.

:cheers:

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #265810 by Joves
I wear the New Balance Tacticals myself with the side zipper. To me they are nice light, and the most important part durable. Not all that water proof but I wear wool socks in the winter for warmth even when wet. They also have a sport and hiking line, but these are my preferred foot ware. Best thing is they are made here in the US.
www.newbalance.com/men/shoes/Boots/Work-...0000,default,sc.html

11 years 2 months ago #265836 by Scotty
http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-footwear/men-39-s-verbera-hiker-gtx.html?from=subCat

So comfy, waterproof, made for hiking for days. Acceptno substitutes.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #265908 by Happy Snapper

Scotty wrote: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-footwear/men-39-s-verbera-hiker-gtx.html?from=subCat

So comfy, waterproof, made for hiking for days. Acceptno substitutes.

Those look comfortable :judge:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #265950 by rmeyer7
I have a nice pair of Tevas for lighter hiking conditions as well as a heavy duty pair of waterproof boots made by Coleman. I think it's nice to have different shoes appropriate for different conditions.

I wouldn't recommend any particular brand or model because your foot is probably different from mine. Different widths, different arches, etc. So go to REI or anywhere else that has a good selection of nice boots, try out several and see what's comfortable for you. Then if you're anything like me you'll check online for the same pair at a better price. ;)

11 years 2 months ago #266042 by bhowdy
I spend a lot of time trekking thru woods, in the mountains .... across streams for my wildlife photography. For pure boots I am a believer in Danner boots. For hiking shoes I prefer Merrel products. And finally for those times that I know I will be standing in a creek for extended periods ... Muck boots (rubber)

Save money and buy the top footwear that you can the first time .... it will keep you rom buying several pairs in a couple of years ... and your feet will thank you!

www.basspro.com/Danner-Pathfinder-GTX-In...AP/product/10212561/

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

11 years 2 months ago #266118 by Sawyer
ECCO's have some nice boots :thumbsup:

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

The Nikon Zf is a retro-inspired full frame camera that offers modern technologies like a back-illuminated sensor and 4K/60p video capabilities. Is it worth the price, though? Let’s find out!

Feb 16, 2024

The Ricoh GR IIIx is a premium compact camera with capable photo and video specs and a size that makes it easy to carry. Is it the right option for you? Let’s find out!

Jan 24, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Learning how to shoot in manual mode can be scary, but with this straightforward tutorial, you'll learn the basics of manual mode - and fast!

Mar 18, 2024

The Panasonic Lumix GX9 is a compact camera loaded with features that have made it a favorite of travel and street photographers. What are some of those features? Let’s find out!

Mar 18, 2024

The client experience is key to building a successful photography brand - you need your clients to come back over and over again. Offering many types of prints will help you do that!

Mar 15, 2024

A camera bag is much more than a simple vessel for transporting your gear. Instead, it’s an item that protects your gear, keeps it organized, and helps you be better prepared for photoshoots.

Mar 13, 2024

There are many different steps to take to build a photography brand - from defining who you are as a photographer to building an online presence to getting physical prints for your clients.

Mar 13, 2024

The Nikon Z lens family has many different options for your photography needs. But if you had to pick just one all-around lens, it should be the 24-70mm f/2.8S. Why? Let’s find out!

Mar 06, 2024

Travel photography often involves a healthy dose of selfies, especially if you’re traveling solo. But there are many other portrait ideas you can try to capture the essence of your travels!

Mar 06, 2024

With proper outdoor photography lighting, you can create incredible portraits with the right balance between shadows and highlights. And with Hobolite, you can do so in inclement weather, too!

Mar 05, 2024