Do you consider photography a stressful job?

11 years 3 months ago #267532 by Crammer
Do you ever find it overwhelming at times? Just trying to get up to speed on all of this and get a name established in a competitive market is a chore! Those that have made it, do you consider photography a stressful job?

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #267542 by Jeff_56
I saw a report the other day listing the most stressful jobs. Photojournalist was one of the top 10. I think it was about #7 or so. Of course those people are often thrown into war time situations with nothing to defend themselves. Not all are war correspondents of course but just covering the local gang culture can heap stress on your life.

Then there's the wedding photographer. I've done enough of that to know I don't want to do any more. Brides in particular want everything perfect and who can blame them? It's something they have wanted all their lives in some cases and some have obsessed over it in fact. Obviously not all are like that but every one I've shot the bride was like that. I was doing video though. That may have made it worse because I had to consider how to get the audio right etc.. But mainly brides are harried to begin with, they want perfection because they expect the wedding to be a once in a lifetime event and often it is. They are stressed and they will stress you.

Other situations can cause stress too. I've run into it at almost every job I've done to be honest. Between trying to get setup when my crew doesn't show to wanting to get important historical events down well to just trying to get that good shot that covers all the action at a football game for example or even worse, basketball. It gets crowded in a gym and finding a spot to shoot that won't be obstructed at the exact wrong time is no easy matter.

But then again I was doing video of events and concerts and interviews. You have to keep getting it right with video. The still photographers around me always seemed a lot less stressed than I was. But I would bet that some of them were up against it in one way or another especially at weddings. Digital cameras have made still shot coverage of events much easier though. You can shoot so many photos you're bound to get some good shots.

11 years 3 months ago #267607 by effron
I "worked" in photography many years ago, in the film days, and I did let it get stressful. I learned to deal with it then, which is good. The time element should make it easier now, but the competition maybe otherwise..... :unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #267615 by Superman
I think any job is going to be stressful if you let it get to that point. I've been stressed taking out the trash :rofl:

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #267640 by Joves
If I relied on it as my sole income then sure it would be stressful. I do not know who made up that list, but what I have been doing for the past 13 years is way up there in the stress area. I work in two areas in the general labor area that are on top of the lists. First is I drive large commercial vehicles, second I operate a concretepump, which you might as well call a crane with pipes. The stress between the two amounts to a lot. Most of my mixer drivers say my job looks easy compared to theirs, well until they try it, then they ask me why I am not more of a wreck. Our industry has a very high attrition rate in the amount of people that last after training in the first six months.
Any job will be stressful, it is up to you as to how stressful you choose to make it.

11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #267675 by Nakean
I find it to be extremely stressful. Doesn't mean I don't love it! You have to be technically proficient while holding an interesting conversation that proves you're personable. You have to be court jester for the kids and an insightful and intelligent human being for the parents and young adults. During all of this you have to tap into the artist within and this doesn't even account to the business side of photography. Ya, I'd say it's stressful, but man do I love it!
11 years 3 months ago #267678 by blinden
I have to agree with Nakean. It can be very stressful and very rewarding and it's usually one but not both of those feelings at the same time. There are more challenges today as a photographer then ever before. The cost to enter the business is low so lots of competition and we've also got a bad economy where everyone is watching every penny and the first things cut are generally entertainment/non-essential items and photography is affected for sure.

That said, photography can be very rewarding and lucrative but be prepared for long hours and chanelling the left and right side of your brain. Taking pictures is the easy part but to be successful you must MASTER marketing and sales as well. There are lots of talented starving photographers out there and there are lots of rich mediocre photographers.

So I guess the moral is do what makes you happy and buy lots of Finestra Art paper :).

--
Bryan Linden
[email protected]
www.FinestraArt.com
www.facebook.com/FinestraArt

www.lindenphoto.net
[img]images/stories/finestraart_signature.jpg

11 years 3 months ago #267720 by Dave Burburry

Nakean wrote: I find it to be extremely stressful. Doesn't mean I don't love it! You have to be technically proficient while holding an interesting conversation that proves you're personable. You have to be court jester for the kids and an insightful and intelligent human being for the parents and young adults. During all of this you have to tap into the artist within and this doesn't even account to the business side of photography. Ya, I'd say it's stressful, but man do I love it!

:agree: I'm going to agree with you here!

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #267730 by Rob pix4u2
I used to be a Nurse and that was very stressful compared to photography. Now that I am a sports photojournalist the deadlines are stressful, getting the right shots to go with the articles is less stressful. I find the joy in the work- even weddings! I shoot happy events and find it to be joyful. The less stress that I put upon myself the better.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #267746 by icepics
Hey I recognize that arena - can't miss that green and yellow (have taken pictures there too). Nice group shot.

When I've done sports it was for marketing etc. so it wasn't too stressful without a deadline and I had plenty of opportunity to get the photos I needed. I would think it would be harder to get the shots you need when you're working within time constraints. I did find it more challenging on occasion trying to get a photo of a ceremony or presentation during the open or intermission when you have to get it done quick and get the hell off the ice before they drop the puck or the zamboni heads in your direction!

I've enjoyed photography as a sideline without the pressure of deadlines or having to depend on it as income.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #267865 by Sandy Smith Photos
Wedding day is 90% always stressful when you are being pulled in 5 directions :whistle:

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268165 by Farestad
When Bridezilla is roaming around, absolutely yes!

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
11 years 3 months ago #268173 by Joves

Farestad wrote: When Bridezilla is roaming around, absolutely yes!

No certainly not!

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #268230 by Henry Peach
I get stressed about running the business. I get stressed when things are out of my control (subject is late). Once I'm shooting I'm not stressed.
11 years 3 months ago #268256 by Cathy Kadolph
OH I've had my share of those! :rofl:

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once you grow up." Pablo Picasso
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024