Why wouldn't you use a camera strap?

11 years 2 months ago #267645 by Little Kate
Sometimes I get annoyed with my camera strap and want to take it off. I've been thinking about getting one of those hand straps instead. Are there any times that you take your strap off and just go 'free'?

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267646 by steveheap
I did just that - I now have a tripod plate on the bottom of the camera with an eyelet for a leather handstrap and it works great. The tripod plate also has a threaded hole for one of those over the shoulder straps from Black Rapid where the camera sits by your hip and slides into position for the shot. If I am doing a lot of walking I use that - for studio and just tourist type shots I use the handstrap.

No complaints at all

steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

11 years 2 months ago #267650 by icepics
I don't think I've ever NOT used some type of camera strap. For my mechanical heavy metal cameras I use wider straps; for my digital camera I got one styled similar to the old 'eveready' cases. Depends on the camera and where I'd be likely to go with it, or if I'd carry it on the shoulder or wear it cross-body, what type strap works best.

I just find without a strap there's some time where I just need to have a way to hang onto it other than trying to just hold the camera body.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267655 by KCook
I've found the hand straps to be about as annoying as the neck straps. The most versatile setup I've tried is a L-shaped flash bracket. But with the bracket swung around to other side, so the "grip" part of the L-bracket is right next to the camera's grip, with a gap between just wide enough for your hand. Hard to let go of a camera with the grip doubled up! Of course there is a down side, you have to remove the L-grip to change batteries. But that is also true for many hand grip designs.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #267660 by effron
I have some arthritis and my hands don't work like they used to. I have Optech quick change type neck straps on both of my cameras, and I wouldn't leave home without them. I keep them around my neck until the camera is firmly on tripod, or in the camera bag. They have more than paid for themselves on a few occasions. I had a hand strap a few years ago and hated it, but some people swear by them.... :)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267661 by Joves
Yeah they can be a pain at times. When my camera is mounted on support then it is off the camera. But I sling mine across my body when I carry it on my left side. While inconvenient they do serve a purpose.

11 years 2 months ago #267670 by Nakean
I only take mine off for video work. My strap is my strap and I feel I use it more often than not. I don't like to be too tethered to my tripod or put my camera down and I would match rather have it on my hop than in my hand, (much harder to manipulate lights with a camera attached to my hand!
11 years 2 months ago #267677 by Baydream
I bought neoprene straps for my cameras with quick release connectors (like the Op-Tech) mentioned above. The neoprene is slightly flexible and causes less stress on the neck. Once on the tripod, two quick snaps and the strap is off.
They cost only about $15 each and have been a great investment in comfort and functionality.
(I am using one of my OEM straps to carry my Sigma 50-500 case).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267680 by cod
I often don't use a strap. I hate neck straps and tried hand straps and didn't like them. My preferred arrangement when I do use one is a Black Rapid strap with an Arca-Swiss style clamp attached. I keep an L-plate on my camera all the time so moving between strap and tripod is quick and easy. I find this arrangement very comfortable. I also find a holster bag very useful. When using a holster I don't bother with a camera strap.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

11 years 2 months ago #267694 by garyrhook
I would never not use a strap. Don't trust myself. But I don't like neck straps. So I went with UpStrap Pro, the bandelier and a wrist strap. Easily interchangeable. The great part about the wrist strap is it's not a sissy strap. I can drop the camera with confidence and use my hand without thinking about it. The bandelier is great for carrying on my hip.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267795 by Henry Peach
I always use the neck strap with my DSLRs. I just use a wrist loop for my compact cameras.
11 years 2 months ago #267801 by icepics
I don't wear the neck straps around my neck, I either wear them cross body or on the shoulder (just like I do with a purse, which of course doesn't work for the guys!). Guess it's a matter of finding what works best however you want to carry it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267807 by Wyrick Photography
Same here, camera would feel naked with out camera strap used.

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267826 by Alex
I never take my strap off. When I do time lapse, it get's in the way if you don't tie it up.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #267833 by Jeff_56
I wouldn't think of not using a strap. As soon as I didn't use one my camera would no doubt hit the ground. I know me. I've dropped cameras before on concrete no less. I was lucky enough to just get my foot under it to break the fall or it would have been bye bye to a camera I had about 3 days at the time. I scratched it as it was but that didn't bother me much. Not having a camera I just paid for would have bothered me.

I do have a hand strap on a couple of cameras. I use them more to steady the camera than to protect against being stupid (which is the main role of my neck straps). They can be helpful in a lot of situations but my hand gets a visit from little Arthur every time I use a hand strap for long.

Heck I sometimes tie my camera off when it's on the tripod so the strap will catch the camera and the tripod if I knock the tripod over. I've never done that but I've had kids run between me and my tripod at weddings. So if I can tie off to something solid without affecting my work I will do it. I like straps with quick detach clips for that reason.

I'm really not that clumsy either. I did drop that one camera but other than that I haven't had any problems in a lot of years. I just like being secure.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024