Tripods are useless?

11 years 2 months ago #269349 by Lightpuller
I was wondering how many of you actually use your tripods? I read here:
www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm

...that with digital tripods are becoming less and less needed. I do own a Manfrotto tripod which I use occasionally when I want to do some landscape photos or something, but honestly with good high ISO, image stabilizers and other widgets. I don't feel the need to use my tripod much at all.

Along with that? Apart from sports photographers, who really needs a monopod?

I think in the future no one will use a tripod or monopod because the cameras will have perfect image stabilization and auto mode will be good enough for everything.

11 years 2 months ago #269350 by Scotty

Lightpuller wrote: I was wondering how many of you actually use your tripods? I read here:

...that with digital tripods are becoming less and less needed. I do own a Manfrotto tripod which I use occasionally when I want to do some landscape photos or something, but honestly with good high ISO, image stabilizers and other widgets. I don't feel the need to use my tripod much at all.

I think in the future no one will use a tripod or monopod because the cameras will have perfect image stabilization and auto mode will be good enough for everything.

Sure. Do a 5 minute exposure hand held. Good luck.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269351 by Lightpuller

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote: I was wondering how many of you actually use your tripods? I read here:

Just put the ISO number higher.

11 years 2 months ago #269352 by Scotty

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

lol that won't help. Doing that makes your shutter speed faster. You want the exposure to be locked in at 5 minutes. It's impossible to do without a tripod.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269353 by Lightpuller

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

lol that won't help. Doing that makes your shutter speed faster. You want the exposure to be locked in at 5 minutes. It's impossible to do without a tripod.

Why would you want to do that?! Any movement from the camera would make it look terrible.

11 years 2 months ago #269354 by Scotty

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Why would you want to do that?! Any movement from the camera would make it look terrible.

You are correct. Hence the tripod to stabilize it.

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269355 by Lightpuller

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Just use a faster shutter speed. It's pretty obvious.

11 years 2 months ago #269359 by Stealthy Ninja

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

What if you want to blur things deliberately? Like the ocean or something to make it look like it's all glassy smooth, or a river or waterfall for that silky effect?
11 years 2 months ago #269360 by Lightpuller

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Lightpuller wrote:

Scotty wrote:

What if you want to blur things deliberately? Like the ocean or something to make it look like it's all glassy smooth, or a river or waterfall for that silky effect?

Then why would you worry about the cameras shake making everything blurry when you want everything too look blurry anyway? Also you can use image stabilization to make everything sharp because that's what it's there for. If you need help keeping you camera still you can lean against a wall or rest it on a rock or something. I still can't really think of a time where I couldn't take a shot hand held. I usually shoot landscapes at f/2.8 or faster so I can get enough shutter speed anyway. If I need to I'll shoot at 12,800 iso too.

11 years 2 months ago #269367 by Rob pix4u2
Image stabilization isn't everything. I shoot sports and with a 300mm lens handheld gets pretty tiring during a 3 hour game hence the monopod. Besides the sharpness factor when shooting a fast moving sport like hockey. Shooting wide open means there is less room for error and upping the ISO introduces more noise and grain into the equation most of the time.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 2 months ago #269371 by Lightpuller

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Image stabilization isn't everything. I shoot sports and with a 300mm lens handheld gets pretty tiring during a 3 hour game hence the monopod. Besides the sharpness factor when shooting a fast moving sport like hockey. Shooting wide open means there is less room for error and upping the ISO introduces more noise and grain into the equation most of the time.

Yes exactly. Apart from sports there's no need for monopod. With these modern cameras even the highest ISO is still ok. I don't worry about that.

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269372 by KCook

Then why would you worry about the cameras shake making everything blurry when you want everything too look blurry anyway? Also you can use image stabilization to make everything sharp because that's what it's there for.

Mostly true for snapshots (a simple record of what the scene looked like). But very wrong for interpretive photography (artsy). The time exposure is not for the purpose of making everything blurry, only for making the moving elements within the scene blurry. While the stationary parts of the scene stay completely sharp. Also, IS is not miraculous. It averages out the scene movement. Where different parts of the scene are moving in different ways, then some of the scene will still be blurry, even with IS. BTW, if your camera always gives great results at f/2.8 and ISO 12000 then it really spanks my Canon EOS 50D (which does have IS, at least with some lenses).

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lightpuller
11 years 2 months ago #269380 by Lightpuller
The 50D is pretty old now. I think you should buy a 5D mark III.

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269391 by effron
You should sell your tripod. They DO suck. I use one whenever I have the chance to set it up, and I carry one where ever I go.... however I'm stuck in the past. You don't need it if you're okay with limited photography....
Wish we could do stuff like this hand held...... :whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269399 by Henry Peach

This is one of the articles that is commonly cited when people are going on about Ken Rockwell being a goof. :)

If you don't need or want to use a tripod then don't. You are correct, with today's excellent high ISO quality it is very possible to hand hold in low light, or to use very high shutter speeds in bright light. I definitely shoot hand held in many situations where I would have brought out the tripod in the past. A tripod is a simple tool: it holds a camera. Simple tools rarely become obsolete. Most photographers don't use tripods most of the time, but that's been true for over 50 years now.

In my own work I can usually see a sharpness difference between hand held shots, even at fast shutter speeds, and shots taken using a tripod, MLU, and cable release. Particularly with longer, larger lenses. People can't tell the difference between my 20"x30" prints from my 20D and my 5DII. They ask me what lens I used. I used all my lenses. The tripod is the secret. If I know I want a large, maximum sharply detailed print, like for my landscape photography, I try to use a tripod, because for me it tends to increase image quality somewhat. I can do very well without it, but if it's reasonable to carry and use I know it adds a bit.

When I shot film I used my tripod at every wedding. Now I only use it to hold my light (it's more stable in wind than a light stand). In that situation mobility and speed is an advantage, and the tripod slows me down. When I go out to shoot landscapes I operate much in the same way I did when I was shooting 4x5 film. I carry the tripod, and since I'm carrying 1/4th the camera gear (compared to 4x5), it still seems like less to haul The tripod slows me down, but in this situation I find that to be an advantage. I like being able to walk away from the camera to look at the scene.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024