This legal judgement against photographer makes you think twice about how to turn away business.

11 years 2 months ago #269520 by Soccer Mom
Another good example of the law getting all warped and twisted. So you can't say no to same sex clients anymore? I think that is pushing the law in the wrong area. Now I have gay friends and have nothing negative to say about gay people, but this is an idiot move on law makers. What's next? :toetap:

blog.speakupmovement.org/church/religiou...n-are-churches-next/

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269527 by Lightpuller
You have to be careful with the gays. Just say you're busy or something.

11 years 2 months ago #269550 by Soccer Mom
It's a shame that things need to get that ugly. Just because one gay couple get's a cheesy attorney to blow this out of proportion, now it brings unneeded attention to gay couples. Not only that, but a new line has been crossed. :evil:

Canon 7D, 18-55mm, 55-250mm, 70-200mm L f/2.8, 100mm and 17-55mm f/2.8
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269555 by hghlndr6
Shakespeare was right!
:beerbang:
11 years 2 months ago #269561 by effron
The saddest part is we can't remove lousy or stupid judges....... :angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269564 by john_m
What a bunch of crap

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269565 by garyrhook
What I don't get is, how did this ever become anything other than declining to provide services to a potential customer? And how can a court, regardless of the subject, attempt to force any group or business to conduct it's activities in a certain way? Absolutely mind boggling.

And let's remember that this is the state where a clumsy buffoon that spilled their coffee on themselves while driving successfully sued McDonald's for brewing coffee that was too hot.

At least there's precedent from the Supreme Court regarding the right to say "no."

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #269590 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: What I don't get is, how did this ever become anything other than declining to provide services to a potential customer? And how can a court, regardless of the subject, attempt to force any group or business to conduct it's activities in a certain way? Absolutely mind boggling.

And let's remember that this is the state where a clumsy buffoon that spilled their coffee on themselves while driving successfully sued McDonald's for brewing coffee that was too hot.

At least there's precedent from the Supreme Court regarding the right to say "no."

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Just more social engineering, and ultra special protections for certain classes of people. This is because some think that we have to accept anything that goes against our beliefs in order to have supposed social justice. I remember when this initially first came up, and then some in here were asking would you shoot a gay wedding, my answer was naturally no, because truthfully I find the idea abhorrent to me.
As far as the telling businesses what they can, or cannot do, just look at things such as bars. Local governments have banned smoking in them, even if you choose to make your bar into a private club. Clearly this is also an infringement upon the rights of people to run their business as they see fit. The old way of we have the right to refuse service to anyone is gone, in the name of social justice, or protecting the public. Now we even have some in Congress who want to expand the Discrimination Laws to include not hiring you, because of you and they have personality clashes. What is next? Do they say you cannot fire someone because they refuse to do their work? This is more of the nanny state telling you what is good for you, because quite frankly to them you are too stupid o know what is good for you. Rant off.

11 years 2 months ago #269626 by Danny Carson

john_m wrote: What a bunch of crap

+1 Rubbish if you ask me

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269641 by Rob pix4u2
AGREED

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269659 by Henry Peach
Prejudice is easy to get away with as long as you aren't a jerk about it. It happens all the time. This photographer didn't just decline, they did some preaching, and it bit them in the ass. Just say you are already booked or something came up, and refer them to one of the many photographers who don't have a problem with it. You can send them my way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pepper78
11 years 2 months ago #269688 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote: Prejudice is easy to get away with as long as you aren't a jerk about it. It happens all the time. This photographer didn't just decline, they did some preaching, and it bit them in the ass. Just say you are already booked or something came up, and refer them to one of the many photographers who don't have a problem with it. You can send them my way.

So what you are not allowed to express your reason for not taking a job. Seems like a freedom of speech issue to me. The client could have hung up or walked away, just because the were offended by the refusal is not grounds for a suit, or legal action.

11 years 2 months ago #269756 by garyrhook

Joves wrote:

Henry Peach wrote: Prejudice is easy to get away with as long as you aren't a jerk about it. It happens all the time. This photographer didn't just decline, they did some preaching, and it bit them in the ass. Just say you are already booked or something came up, and refer them to one of the many photographers who don't have a problem with it. You can send them my way.

So what you are not allowed to express your reason for not taking a job. Seems like a freedom of speech issue to me. The client could have hung up or walked away, just because the were offended by the refusal is not grounds for a suit, or legal action.

Well, agreed, but was there really any need to do so? You don't want a customer, you decline the job, end of story. I don't believe that freedom of speech (originally regarding criticism of the government) doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever you want whenever you want to (e.g. shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater). What exactly does providing an uninvited exposition on someone's choices accomplish?

[rant]
I will never understand why Christians (in particular) feel the need to proselytize at every opportunity, no matter how unnecessary that is. Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor"? These folks would have gotten so much more accomplished if they had simply declined the job (and there are many reasons they could have used, without lying and without lecturing) but conducted themselves in a kind and loving manner. I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a jerk about drawing a line in the sand.
[/rant]

That said, +1 on the government crapola.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago #269762 by Stealthy Ninja

garyrhook wrote:

Joves wrote:

Well, agreed, but was there really any need to do so? You don't want a customer, you decline the job, end of story. I don't believe that freedom of speech (originally regarding criticism of the government) doesn't give you carte blanche to say whatever you want whenever you want to (e.g. shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater). What exactly does providing an uninvited exposition on someone's choices accomplish?

[rant]
I will never understand why Christians (in particular) feel the need to proselytize at every opportunity, no matter how unnecessary that is. Whatever happened to "love thy neighbor"? These folks would have gotten so much more accomplished if they had simply declined the job (and there are many reasons they could have used, without lying and without lecturing) but conducted themselves in a kind and loving manner. I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a jerk about drawing a line in the sand.
[/rant]

That said, +1 on the government crapola.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Ever heard of the great commission?

I think the main reason why is we care if you go to hell. :)

Also some people are just jerks. Atheists can be equally annoying.
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #269838 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Ever heard of the great commission?

I think the main reason why is we care if you go to hell. :)

Also some people are just jerks. Atheists can be equally annoying.

At the risk of derailing this thread, I'll say "yes, yes, I have." But it's not clear that our commission equates to uninvited, alienating diatribes at the drop of a hat. At least, that's the way I see it. It's not my job to force Jesus upon someone (because I can't). It's my job to manage my walk as a believer in humility and submission.

At least, that's how I understand it.

And you're right. People are, sadly, people. That's not always a good thing.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024