So, here's an interesting question (at least to me anyways!)

11 years 2 months ago #269621 by John37
My 10 year son has a project for school. It's a 3 parter, with one of the parts being a presentation of some sort. So he and I talked about it and he's decided to do a demonstration about photography. One of the cool things is that he can either do the presentation live in the classroom, or video record it at home and present it to the class. My first thoughts were to touch on the exposure triangle, then show some examples of bokeh, and how to achieve it. Are these too much for a bunch of 5th graders? I don't think it is. Is there anything else he should include in his presentation? I was also thinking about adding the definition of "exposure", and the rule of 3rds. Either way it's going to be fun! Oh, I was also thinking about buying him a 10D (about $80 here) for his presentation and as his main camera. Advice welcomed as always! :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 2 months ago #269624 by KCook
That would be the nuts-and-bolts approach, which is a classic. A more creative approach would be stuff like What Is Clutter? What Is Shadow? What Are Tones? Yet another approach would be historic - pinhole camera - box camera - press camera - 35mm camera - digital camera.

Instigator

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #269627 by icepics
I'm not up on what 5th graders know, but what about going thru the whole process of taking a picture - maybe start with picking a subject/scene, framing a shot, choosing/changing a vantage point/perspective, what happens when you use a shorter/longer lens, etc. - geared to their level which I suppose is whatever your son can understand and explain.

Maybe incl. bokeh along with exposure and how a camera records light (and how it looks with changes in aperture), rule of thirds along with basic aspects of composing an image like using balance, pattern, etc. Maybe you and your son could go out and take pictures that demo what he'll be talking about and he could show/talk about how he processed and got printed pictures from what he photographed.

Or depending on the time maybe he could even take a photo with or of his classmates and then show it on a computer in their classroom? Just a thought.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269628 by icepics
Yeah Kelly I'd like the historic approach, lots of different type cameras could be interesting for kids. I like cyanotypes, kits for doing sun prints only need the treated paper, sun, and water (and a place to let them dry). But with the time available I don't know how extensive this presentation could be. That might be for another project, another time...

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269639 by Rob pix4u2
I like both Kelly and Sharons' approach to the project - a bit of history with how an image is made along with a demo of modern picture technology

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 2 months ago #269647 by John37
These are really great ideas. Thank you! I should probably mention that the presentation is only going to be about 3-4 minutes in length. The other 2 parts are predetermined subjects and not related to photography. But kids talk fast when they're in front of a group, so there's more room than ya might think. :lol:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
11 years 2 months ago #269653 by KCook
Rapid fire eh? Roll in a couple of monolights and blind them all :dry:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #269656 by Henry Peach
Why do you and your son enjoy photography? What makes it so popular?

Important uses of photography: journalism, science, medicine, art....

A brief history of recent photographic technology: film and digital.

It depends on the kids, but I find it better to start with why stuff is fun and exciting, and get to the technical stuff later if you have time. Five minutes isn't enough time to worry about technical stuff. Get them excited about photography, and they will be asking about "how to" soon enough.
11 years 2 months ago #269657 by John Landolfi
DOF control is used a lot in movies these days, so these kids would recall having seen examples of it. How about using two images, two portraits your son could take of you,say, one at f/11 and the other wide open, and then discuss the reasons one may want to use the technique :cheers: .

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #269660 by KCook

Henry Peach wrote: Why do you and your son enjoy photography? What makes it so popular?

Important uses of photography: journalism, science, medicine, art....

A brief history of recent photographic technology: film and digital.

It depends on the kids, but I find it better to start with why stuff is fun and exciting, and get to the technical stuff later if you have time. Five minutes isn't enough time to worry about technical stuff. Get them excited about photography, and they will be asking about "how to" soon enough.

:agree: :goodpost:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024