So, here's an interesting question (at least to me anyways!)

7 years 4 months ago #269621 by John37
My 10 year son has a project for school. It's a 3 parter, with one of the parts being a presentation of some sort. So he and I talked about it and he's decided to do a demonstration about photography. One of the cool things is that he can either do the presentation live in the classroom, or video record it at home and present it to the class. My first thoughts were to touch on the exposure triangle, then show some examples of bokeh, and how to achieve it. Are these too much for a bunch of 5th graders? I don't think it is. Is there anything else he should include in his presentation? I was also thinking about adding the definition of "exposure", and the rule of 3rds. Either way it's going to be fun! Oh, I was also thinking about buying him a 10D (about $80 here) for his presentation and as his main camera. Advice welcomed as always! :thumbsup:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 4 months ago #269624 by KCook
That would be the nuts-and-bolts approach, which is a classic. A more creative approach would be stuff like What Is Clutter? What Is Shadow? What Are Tones? Yet another approach would be historic - pinhole camera - box camera - press camera - 35mm camera - digital camera.

Instigator

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #269627 by icepics
I'm not up on what 5th graders know, but what about going thru the whole process of taking a picture - maybe start with picking a subject/scene, framing a shot, choosing/changing a vantage point/perspective, what happens when you use a shorter/longer lens, etc. - geared to their level which I suppose is whatever your son can understand and explain.

Maybe incl. bokeh along with exposure and how a camera records light (and how it looks with changes in aperture), rule of thirds along with basic aspects of composing an image like using balance, pattern, etc. Maybe you and your son could go out and take pictures that demo what he'll be talking about and he could show/talk about how he processed and got printed pictures from what he photographed.

Or depending on the time maybe he could even take a photo with or of his classmates and then show it on a computer in their classroom? Just a thought.

Sharon
Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #269628 by icepics
Yeah Kelly I'd like the historic approach, lots of different type cameras could be interesting for kids. I like cyanotypes, kits for doing sun prints only need the treated paper, sun, and water (and a place to let them dry). But with the time available I don't know how extensive this presentation could be. That might be for another project, another time...

Sharon
Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #269639 by Rob pix4u2
I like both Kelly and Sharons' approach to the project - a bit of history with how an image is made along with a demo of modern picture technology

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

7 years 4 months ago #269647 by John37
These are really great ideas. Thank you! I should probably mention that the presentation is only going to be about 3-4 minutes in length. The other 2 parts are predetermined subjects and not related to photography. But kids talk fast when they're in front of a group, so there's more room than ya might think. :lol:

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"

7 years 4 months ago #269653 by KCook
Rapid fire eh? Roll in a couple of monolights and blind them all :dry:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 4 months ago #269656 by Henry Peach
Why do you and your son enjoy photography? What makes it so popular?

Important uses of photography: journalism, science, medicine, art....

A brief history of recent photographic technology: film and digital.

It depends on the kids, but I find it better to start with why stuff is fun and exciting, and get to the technical stuff later if you have time. Five minutes isn't enough time to worry about technical stuff. Get them excited about photography, and they will be asking about "how to" soon enough.

7 years 4 months ago #269657 by John Landolfi
DOF control is used a lot in movies these days, so these kids would recall having seen examples of it. How about using two images, two portraits your son could take of you,say, one at f/11 and the other wide open, and then discuss the reasons one may want to use the technique :cheers: .

Photo Comments

7 years 4 months ago #269660 by KCook

Henry Peach wrote: Why do you and your son enjoy photography? What makes it so popular?

Important uses of photography: journalism, science, medicine, art....

A brief history of recent photographic technology: film and digital.

It depends on the kids, but I find it better to start with why stuff is fun and exciting, and get to the technical stuff later if you have time. Five minutes isn't enough time to worry about technical stuff. Get them excited about photography, and they will be asking about "how to" soon enough.

:agree: :goodpost:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Camera cages offer tons of flexibility and versatility when using a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video. In this tutorial, learn how to use a camera cage.

May 18, 2020