Using step up rings with larger filters on smaller lens openings

11 years 2 months ago #270148 by Jim Photo
I just found out that there are step up rings that will allow you to use your 77mm filter on lenses with thread openings of 52mm, 62mm and 72mm. Is this correct and if so, who makes such a step up ring. Are there any negatives to using something like this vs individual filters for each lens?

To me this sounds like a cost saving tip if I heard correct?

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #270150 by effron
Adorama and B&H carry them. I have a bunch in different sizes, and they work great!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #270156 by KCook
Likely THE most common lens accessory. Everybody sells them, and they are usually very low priced. Maybe a few brand names you have not run into before - Adorama, Bower, Fotodiox, Goja, Kalt, Kenko, Marumi, ProMaster, Rainbowimaging, Schneider, Tiffen, UltraPro.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #270165 by Joves
The only draw back is you will have to take off you lens hood. Which is not really a problem for the most part, but you can get glancing light on them causing reflection. But for the most part they are a great way to optimize your filter from larger lenses.

11 years 2 months ago #270166 by McBeth Photography
They work great, be sure to get a couple of filter wrenches too. When the step-up rings are new they can be a little sticky....

It is what it is.
11 years 2 months ago #270200 by KCook
:goodpost:
Though I never got the wrench. I simply take care not to screw them on very tight in the first place.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #270217 by Baydream
Depending on the filter vs lens size, if you use several step up rings instead of one, you MAY get a bit of vignetting at wide open apertures. With a single step up for each size (less than $10 each) that should ne be an issue.
You may even find a flexible hood that will hold on the 77mm. That is a MAYBE.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #270267 by john_m
I have a 72 to 77 step up if you need it. I dont since I no longer have a lens with that filter diameter. But yeah they work great. You can get the GOJA ones off of amazon for $3 shipped (thats what I use). But 2 things, as Barry said, these things can get stuck on there (especially if your using a CP or a varibale ND)...I know this through experience lol. 2nd thing is lens caps. If your going to leave a filter on throughout the day and want to use a lens cap, youll need to buy one for that size filter.

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024