Is anyone else bothered with the word 'Shoot' when talking about photography

11 years 1 month ago #271120 by Melissa Zui
I use it often and it's pretty common with photographers. This word just irks me to know end, I feel like a hunter. :rofl: Is it me or do others feel awkward saying this word when referencing what your doing photography related?

11 years 1 month ago #271122 by Miscreant
I'm not that thin skinned. Shoot, I use the word all the time....

11 years 1 month ago #271125 by Ian Stone
There are some cases when it needs extra words just to play it safe or to use different wording completely:

Example:

"I'm going to shoot some birds this afternoon"

alternatively:

"I'm going to shoot photograph some birds this afternoon"

OR another way of saying this:

"I'm going to try to find some birds to photograph, but likely will end up at Starbucks surfing the web" :rofl:

I guess it depends on who you're talking to also. If it's a photographer and you're already discussing photography the word "shoot" is common and flows vs you talking to a regular Joe about something non photography related, then you out of the blue bring up "I'm going to shoot some birds this afternoon", yeah that could be taken the wrong way.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271132 by effron
Its just plain getting silly..... :angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271135 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot people, I shoot hockey, I am a shooter - doesn't bother me a bit -

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

11 years 1 month ago #271136 by digiphoto
If you have camera in hand and say "Im going to shoot some birds"...im betting its pretty much obvious what is being talked about. And if folks know you as a photographer....well it becomes self explantory...now if youre a hunter & photographer & its hunting season then some more clarification might be in order.. :)

Tim W.
TA Wilson Photography

11 years 1 month ago #271141 by Flash Steven

Ian Stone wrote: There are some cases when it needs extra words just to play it safe or to use different wording completely:

Example:

"I'm going to shoot some birds this afternoon"

alternatively:

"I'm going to shoot photograph some birds this afternoon"

OR another way of saying this:

"I'm going to try to find some birds to photograph, but likely will end up at Starbucks surfing the web" :rofl:

I guess it depends on who you're talking to also. If it's a photographer and you're already discussing photography the word "shoot" is common and flows vs you talking to a regular Joe about something non photography related, then you out of the blue bring up "I'm going to shoot some birds this afternoon", yeah that could be taken the wrong way.

+1

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271143 by John Landolfi

effron wrote: Its just plain getting silly..... :angry:

:agree: :goodpost: :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271146 by Dori
I could care less if someone gets their panties in a bunch when I use the word 'shoot'.

A couple of months ago my Boss was in my store doing inventory. A customer who is a Photographer came in and I asked him if he had been out shooting. I mentioned that I had found a couple of spiders to shoot. He left and my Boss asked me what I 'shot' spiders with. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 1 month ago #271150 by Screamin Scott
Shoot, I use that word all the time ....LOL

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271162 by BenjaminJ

Dori wrote: I could care less if someone gets their panties in a bunch when I use the word 'shoot'.

A couple of months ago my Boss was in my store doing inventory. A customer who is a Photographer came in and I asked him if he had been out shooting. I mentioned that I had found a couple of spiders to shoot. He left and my Boss asked me what I 'shot' spiders with. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Did you tell him a .45?

11 years 1 month ago #271204 by Vahrenkamp
Saying photograph seems so stuffy all the time vs shoot.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271213 by McBeth Photography

John Landolfi wrote:

:agree: :blink:

It is what it is.
11 years 1 month ago #271219 by Vespista

McBeth Photography wrote:

John Landolfi wrote:

:agree: :blink:

me too. Hunters should come up with a new term.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #271244 by hghlndr6
I used to shoot bullets. Shooting nowadays is a lot more comfortable. ;)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024