The making of a perfect camera?

11 years 1 month ago #274950 by J Hemingway
If you could have influenced your camera's manufacture to add ONE feature to your camera from the factory to make your camera closer to being a perfect fit for you. What would it be?

I have a D800 and I'm baffeled that Nikon didn't add build in GPS :toetap: So that's my item I would have added.

How about you?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #274966 by hghlndr6
I'd go the other direction. There's a bunch of features on my cameras that I don't want, won't use. I'd have preferred a more streamlined, basic, option without all that stuff...

Video ... zero interest
GPS ... ditto
Auto, P, and most scene modes
In-camera retouching
Probably about half of the menu settings
11 years 1 month ago #274989 by effron

hghlndr6 wrote: I'd go the other direction. There's a bunch of features on my cameras that I don't want, won't use. I'd have preferred a more streamlined, basic, option without all that stuff...

Video ... zero interest
GPS ... ditto
In-camera retouching

That's about right. My D700 is almost perfect, D7000 doesn't have the dedicated back button focus, or easy ISO select. That's what I would add. Or, I'll just wait for the coming D400!!!! :cheer:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275057 by Joves

hghlndr6 wrote: I'd go the other direction. There's a bunch of features on my cameras that I don't want, won't use. I'd have preferred a more streamlined, basic, option without all that stuff...

Video ... zero interest
GPS ... ditto
In-camera retouching

:agree:
My idea for the perfect camera would be you buy a straight Plain Jane model. All it comes with the basic Firmware to run the camera. Then you have the option to download, and pay for extra Firmware Options. If you want video then you pay for it, it you want DNG as a RAW option, you can buy it. I think the being able to customize the camera to your needs would be ideal. Also and I know this sounds crazy, but interchangeable sensors. Say you wanted to use a lower resolution sensor with better High ISO capabilities, you would change it, or you wanted a high resolution with not so good High ISOs. It would be an easy thing to make really, all you would need is a socket like Ziff Socket for the AMD CPUs. It has a lever that releases, and holds the CPU in place, it would work the same for sensors. This would require different sensor profiles, but ah how hard would that be. Also it would not be for many people. To me being able to change you camera as needed would be perfect.

11 years 1 month ago #275125 by rmeyer7
If I could create the perfect Canon:

- Same AF as the 5Diii
- Low light/high ISO noise performance of the 5Diii
- No need for video
- No GPS or WiFi
- Only modes on the dial are M, Av and Tv. Maybe there could be a green square, but you couldn't actually select it...it would just be there to mess with people...

I guess you could say I want a camera that works like the 5D classic, with the sensor and AF of the 5Diii.

11 years 1 month ago #275129 by CWphotos
A perfect DSLR would be one that didn't allow dust onto the sensor filter...and this will happen when pigs fly! :lol:

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 1 month ago #275130 by CWphotos
Seriously though...and this is for Canon...I'd like to have an exterior, RAW button for when I am shooting in jpeg ( which I only do when taking snapshots of family, or recording memories of our campsite, etc. ). My Pentax K10 D has that feature, and I have often had the occasion to use it.

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
11 years 1 month ago #275194 by KCook
Don't need any additional features really. Just wish the existing features worked better.

Canon 50D - needs more flexible AutoISO

Olympus PL2 - needs the default JPG processing toned down

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 1 month ago #275313 by Augustin
Would it be to cliche to say price? Perfect camera would be one that would cost less.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275339 by Joves
:rofl:
Well that aint gonna happen. But in reality the price has actually been cheaper for the compared technology upgrade from the previous versions.

11 years 1 month ago #275556 by Moe
:agree: price drop would be nice, but if you compare cost of technology vs 5 years ago, prices have come down.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275770 by Dave Burburry
Longer battery life

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275797 by Uplander
The one that's in my camera bag :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275984 by Flash Steven
When you think about it, prices have been coming down on cameras. Price of top technology today, certainly is much less than top technology 5 or even 10 years ago.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024