Good reasons to never lend out your camera, even to family!

10 years 7 months ago #293753 by TvPhotos
That's rough. Send it in to get cleaned and send him the bill.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
10 years 7 months ago #293766 by josephmahlonty
An easier escape would have been to lend him a 10MP or even higher P&S camera. Easy to handle and carry. Could also be disposable and easily replaced.

10 years 7 months ago #293840 by Overread
Yep, I would be disappointed.

Photo Comments
10 years 5 months ago #303365 by MazeRunner
I let my brother borrow my D5100 and a 35/1.8G, and after him treating them well over the course of a few months, he started getting slightly more interested, playing around with my 24/1.4G. I didn't want to lend him that, so I lent him my Sigma 35/1.4. After less than 2 weeks, he got a couple of scratches on it and some really really nasty oil smears on the back element.

Now, I can clean lenses and sensors pretty quickly... but after cleaning the back element, I saw a scratch! I wouldn't mind if he offered to pay for it, but he just blamed his girlfriend's cousin!

Now he doesn't get to touch any of my glass.

Don't lend out gear unless you're currently there also and the other person is a good photographer! Because your insurance might not even cover it!

10 years 5 months ago #303405 by StephanieW
I let my cousin borrow my camera to shoot in her backyard while I was in the house watching her kid. That's about the extent I'm willing to loan my camera to someone. I gave her some brief lessons before letting her go that far and stressed to her how important the camera was and that if she dropped it she owed me a new one. I'm very protective of it.

10 years 5 months ago #303503 by Moe
Never lend your gear!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024