DSLR owners, When do you actually use your compact camera?

10 years 11 months ago #282412 by Number 7
I don't know about you, but when I go out and take photos I always take my DSLR and my compact camera stays in my bag unused most of the time. Honestly I think I've used it twice in the last six months. And that was just for the sake of using it and not with purpose.

I'd really like to know if other DSLR owners are getting any use from their compact cameras and when?

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282423 by James Rados
I use mine when I'm traveling and when we head out on the town and I don't want a bulky camera with me.

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282425 by Leilanee
If I were ever to get a compact camera, it would be for the stuff I want to take pictures of but don't really care to be artistic about, like social events. That's the only reason I've ever considered buying one (for stuff like parties and get-togethers) but I still haven't gotten one because here's always someone taking pictures anyway.

10 years 11 months ago #282439 by Sawyer
Mine doesn't get used that often either

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282554 by Stealthy Ninja
I use my Fuji X-pro1 more than my DSLR.

The reason I bought it was to have a lightweight solution for family holidays - which you Americans call a "vacation" for some reason - (where I know I won't be shooting anything great, but just hanging out with the family) and as a daily camera I can bring around with me everywhere.

The 1Dx with 24-70/70-200/35 1.4 is used for work

AND

I use my fuji when shooting events as a second camera so I can grab quick "hey can you take a photo of us" pics (which people never seem to ask for later) and if I need a wider angle when I'm using the 70-200.

The quality is quite good for wider angle stuff. Just as good as a 7D would be (though the AF isn't as good).

I am considering buying a 5Diii as a medium weight solution for times where I want a nice camera but not need to lug around a 1Dx.
10 years 11 months ago #282592 by Roy Wilson

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I use my Fuji X-pro1 more than my DSLR.

The reason I bought it was to have a lightweight solution for family holidays - which you Americans call a "vacation" for some reason - (where I know I won't be shooting anything great, but just hanging out with the family) and as a daily camera I can bring around with me everywhere.

AND

I use my fuji when shooting events as a second camera so I can grab quick "hey can you take a photo of us" pics (which people never seem to ask for later) and if I need a wider angle when I'm using the 70-200.

The quality is quite good for wider angle stuff. Just as good as a 7D would be (though the AF isn't as good).

I am considering buying a 5Diii as a medium weight solution for times where I want a nice camera but not need to lug around a 1Dx.

That Fuji is a really nice camera, would love to see a range of photos from it!

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282780 by Vahrenkamp
I would say I use mine 2 or 3 times a week. When we go on our walks at night, I always have with me.

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282804 by Rob pix4u2
I use mine as a " capture the cats" camera and a Family camera. The Nikon P510 is a great little camera for those occasions when I don't want to worry about changing lenses ( it has a great focal length range ) or carrying a bag with extra gear. here are some pics that I have taken with it.

Again just a neat little camera so that when I don't feel like carrying a DSLR I have a capable camera with me.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
10 years 11 months ago #282810 by Moossmann
Mines always in my lunch box, so when I need it I have it

Photo Comments
10 years 11 months ago #282973 by Stealthy Ninja

Roy Wilson wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: I use my Fuji X-pro1 more than my DSLR.

AND

That Fuji is a really nice camera, would love to see a range of photos from it!

Most of them are family pics. I haven't really had time to edit any. Will put some up eventually. :)
10 years 11 months ago #283315 by Crammer
Mine mainly get's used when we travel and also when we go on our boat rides.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024