Can someone make you delete photos from your camera?

10 years 9 months ago #286612 by neal1977
We were walking around town last night and like always I have my camera with me. We decided to walk into an art gallery and while in there I took a few photos of some amazing paintings and then the clerk came up to me and said I wasn't supposed to be taking photos and that I needed to delete the photos I had taken. I refused and said she had no right to make me delete what I had on my cameras memory card. She pointed to a small sign in the window that said "No Flash photography". First off, I didn't use a flash, second the sign was half covered by another sign, it even took her a moment to find the sign with all the clutter in their window!

She ended up calling security in who then tried to take my camera. I told them I was going to call my lawyer and motioned to behavior that would resemble dialing a number on my phone as I walked out the door. I hung up (I think I dialed Pizza Hut :rofl: ) and kept walking.

So sign or no sign. Can someone make you delete your photos?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #286615 by garyrhook

neal1977 wrote: So sign or no sign. Can someone make you delete your photos?

In the US? You were out of line, and technically trespassed.

On public property one is allowed to take pictures of anything that doesn't require special equipment. On private property, however, the owner/landlord has the right to control what happens on their property. When it comes to photography, one usually asks first.

There are plenty of threads on this forum discussing photography in malls, etc. The net is, regardless of how unreasonable a rent-a-cop might be, that private property means you don't get to make the rules. Usually, in places like that (jewelry stores, bridal boutiques, etc) pictures are not allowed because they are used to steal IP (i.e. violate copyrights). The images of whatever was in the gallery are property, and one does not simply walk in and capture an image without permission.

Refusing to listen and understand your violation of their rights only compounds the problem. No, they can't take your camera, but they should have called the police and requested a return of their property before you left the premises. I.e. a deletion of the photos you took. One might now suggest that you also owe them an apology. Having the signs slightly obscured is irrelevant; it was their store.

I bet that's not the response you were expecting, is it?

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #286628 by hghlndr6
:agree:
Good answer. All correct, imo.
10 years 9 months ago #286649 by Flash Steven
I'm going to agree with Gary also, regardless if the sign was partially covered, it's a gallery and owned by someone. So I would have asked if OK to take snap. You never know, they might have said yes if you asked. But seeing that you did not, it sent the wrong message automatically.

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #286659 by Screamin Scott
As has been stated, you were in the wrong...Permission is always needed at private places...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 9 months ago #286660 by Darrell
I agree!!

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
10 years 9 months ago #286685 by Leilanee
:agree:
On top of the technicalities and legal issues with the scenario, think of it ethically.
If YOU took some awesome photos, were super proud of them and displayed them in a gallery [for sale or just for exposure, regardless] I feel like you'd be pretty miffed if some stranger with a camera barged in and started snapping photos of your work. Yes, you could take it as a compliment (as in, "Hey this is awesome! I want to keep a picture so I can see it more often") but if you are someone who values your own work, you'd probably be demanding payment for the photos the person took or telling them to delete them. Especially because you have no idea if those people are going to go ahead and falsely present that art as their own or just make a print of one of those photos and hang it on their wall - something you should be making money for. They basically stole your art, whether they are falsely tacking their own name on it or just making a print.

Especially if you were taking pictures of paintings, that's something that the artist deserves payment for.
Next time buy a painting or take a business card, don't steal things you don't have rights to.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024