Are you keeping a backup camera with you on jobs? P&S, iPhone or mirrorless?

7 years 2 months ago #293551 by Rawley Photos
I don't know why I listed the iPhone, that's not exactly what I would call a good backup. But a good point and shoot, mirrorless or even a second body. Do you have one with you on jobs? I need to get something for backup. I don't have the budget for another DSLR body, or at least a new one. But I was thinking about getting a good P&S or mirrorless. I kind of like the Sony NEX line up.

What are you using?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 2 months ago #293566 by John Landolfi
I shoot with a D3s, and recently upgraded my backup from a D200 to a D7100. Although I use a Canon G11, and have managed some decent captures with it, It's easier to work with the DSLRs for me.

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #293570 by KCook
My mirrorless camera is an Olympus PEN. Certainly a fun camera for my own use. But I cannot image using it on a professional job, except maybe a night club scene.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 2 months ago #293574 by Hassner
"Cannot afford another SLR."
Remember, it is a back-up.
It does not have to be new.
Some second hand SLRs are far cheaper than mirrorless or Compact.
Chances are you will not use it in the next two years.
It has to be only good enough to last the repair time of the first body.

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #293643 by tCampbell
I have a Canon G12 with me too, but it doesn't get used often.

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #293735 by Jon Carson
Lately I've been getting into shooting more with my iPhone

7 years 2 months ago #293748 by TvPhotos
No back up just my slr.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

7 years 2 months ago #293813 by Studio Queen
Although I have never used my iPhone for a backup on a job, I have used it many times as substitute for photos when out with family.

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #293859 by Baydream
I kept my old XSi when I got my 60D. I hope to get a 70D this winter and the 60D will be my backup.
Just this past weekend, I used both with different lenses (18-200 and 100-400) to save lens changes. Tiny bit awkward but worth it.
Shooting the meteor showers last month, I had both cameras mounted on tripods and firing to catch as many as possible.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #294013 by rmeyer7
I used to shoot with a 5D as my main camera and a Rebel XTi for a backup. For absolute emergency backup purposes, I kept my G12 with me as well. Since I sold my Canon DSLR gear and bought a Nikon, now all I have for a backup at the moment is the G12. Eventually I'll pick up another Nikon DSLR for a backup, but it's not in the budget right now.

7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #294034 by Stealthy Ninja
Fuji X-pro 1 (a mirrorless camera) will do in a pinch.

iPhone... I'd rather give up and give the client their money back or reschedule or something similar than use an iPhone.

I'd use a 5D III for back up if I could afford to buy one.

7 years 2 months ago #294045 by John Landolfi

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Fuji X-pro 1 (a mirrorless camera) will do in a pinch.

iPhone... I'd rather give up and give the client their money back or reschedule or something similar than use an iPhone.

I'd use a 5D III for back up if I could afford to buy one.

:goodpost: +1 on the phone camera idea!

Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #294067 by Don Fischer
This backup camera, is it for paying job's in case your main camera fails? Can't imagine doing this for a living and not having a decent backup. I have one and it goes with me, use it once in a while. Main camera is a D5000, would like to up grade it to a D7000/D7100. Backup camera is a D70.

7 years 2 months ago #294184 by Alex
Now I'm not pro, or work for hire. So for me, when I'm out and needed extra shots of something, I'm nabbing them with my iPhone.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

7 years 2 months ago #294250 by Craig Stone
Doesn't the new Samsung Galaxy have a 10mp camera? Heck these phone cameras are getting pretty high tech these days!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The GoPro Hero 8 Black has since been replaced with the Hero 9 Black, but it's still a feature-rich action camera with plenty of mods to make it a great camera for you.

Nov 16, 2020

The Sony a9 II is a feature-rich full frame camera with superb image quality and video performance. In this review, learn all about its specs and capabilities.

Nov 12, 2020

In this Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 review, we'll look at the specs, features, build quality, price and more of this affordable camera for vloggers.

Nov 11, 2020

Is the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV the right camera for you? Or should you opt for the cheaper Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III? Find out in this review!

Nov 09, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you need some stocking stuffer ideas for your photography friends (or non-photography friends, for that matter...) check out this list of awesome Holdfast products.

Nov 23, 2020

With these holiday promo ideas for photographers, you'll get some solid ideas for boosting business as 2020 comes to a close.

Nov 23, 2020

Learning how to use a slider should begin with some basic slider techniques. Get some tips, tricks, and insights on simple slider shots in this quick tutorial.

Nov 23, 2020

Acrylic prints can be a beautiful addition to your home. But if you've never bought one, you probably have acrylic print questions. Get the answers you need in this buyer's guide.

Nov 20, 2020

To stabilize a camera doesn't always mean having a tripod. Instead, there are many tripod alternatives and makeshift tripods you can use to stabilize your camera.

Nov 20, 2020

What is focal length? How does it differ from effective focal length? In this tutorial, we'll shed light on the differences between the two.

Nov 17, 2020

These underused Photoshop tools can help you unlock your creativity and create more impactful images.

Nov 17, 2020

Search no more for the best laptops for photographers under $1000. This list includes five of the top picks based on specs, features, and price.

Nov 16, 2020