Downside to using a battery grip

10 years 7 months ago #294715 by Meskill
I'm weighing options on getting a battery grip for my Nikon D300. Flashpoint makes one and I've seen one from Nikon too. Just wondering are there any downsides to using one of these?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #294782 by cod
The downside for me is cost. I’ve handled cameras with battery grips and I like the improved handling but I don’t find not having a grip to be a problem so it’s hard to justify the cost for my purposes.

If I had one I would tend to keep it on the camera all the time and as I use Arca-Swiss style quick releases that means buying a new L-bracket which can be costly. The D300 grip also gives a slight increase in frames per second but only with an additional battery that is a different model from the standard D300 battery – more cost.

I’ve hardly ever run down the camera battery even on long shoots and I carry a spare for those rare times it’s needed so I don’t really need a grip for extended battery life.

The way I use my camera the cost is too much for me. The “cool” factor is attractive and one day I might succumb.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

10 years 7 months ago #294794 by Tristan R
Did you ever have errors coming up because the connection was poor between the battery grip and camera?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #294815 by TvPhotos
The only downside is the extra weight. I love the way the battery grip balances the camera in my hands, but if I'm shooting an all day festival the extra weight becomes tiresome. I've never had a error occur while shooting though.

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
10 years 7 months ago #294863 by J Hemingway
Your camera looks bigger, therefor you must be a pro :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #294882 by TvPhotos

J Hemingway wrote: Your camera looks bigger, therefor you must be a pro :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's sad some people really think that.

10 years 7 months ago #294935 by Joves

Tristan R wrote: Did you ever have errors coming up because the connection was poor between the battery grip and camera?

Not with the Nikon grip. The only time I had a problem is when the contacts were dirty when I put the grip on, which was due to user error, in that I forgot to put the protector back on. That happens when you get old, you get distracted easily at the wrong times. The weight as Ty pointed out as well, when you will be shooting a lot, or carrying your camera for long periods.

10 years 7 months ago #294962 by Maverick V

TvPhotos wrote:

J Hemingway wrote: Your camera looks bigger, therefor you must be a pro :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's sad some people really think that.

:agree: I know someone he flat out told me that too. "potential clients will think I'm a better photographer because my camera looks more like a professional camera". :pinch:

10 years 7 months ago #294972 by robbie
The only downside is when my camera battery needs charging but that`s not to often because my grip comes with a long lasting battery and I bought two of them so I can change them out without removing them.The D7000 is small but with the grip is feels just right.

10 years 7 months ago #294996 by Happy Snapper

robbie wrote: The only downside is when my camera battery needs charging but that`s not to often because my grip comes with a long lasting battery and I bought two of them so I can change them out without removing them.The D7000 is small but with the grip is feels just right.

:agree:

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295234 by KenMan
Don't you get a quicker burst rate with using one?

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295304 by TvPhotos
I only buy equipment I need to make my job easier. I don't buy equipment that makes me look more professional. Hopefully my images and people skills will do that for me.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024