Annoyed with taking self portrait

10 years 7 months ago #295752 by JB
I think I have some warped sense of perception when it comes to my self portrait. I have been trying to get a good self portrait for some time, I can get the lighting I'm after, but I can never get the look that I want. Frustrated about this. As a photographer, have you taken a self portrait that you are content with?

I can't be the only one in this boat.

10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #295758 by hghlndr6
Content with!

<< - - - - -
10 years 7 months ago #295768 by tejbon
I prefer to be on the taking side of the photo. Although I have a couple ok self portraits, I'm pretty private when it comes to my personal shots.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295780 by KCook
I'm too lazy to put a lot of effort into a selfie. I just used an old snapshot that my wife took.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 7 months ago #295796 by garyrhook
I like doing selfies, but more seriously than what can be done with a mobile phone. I just put a new one on LinkedIn. My avatar here is one of a series I did last year after getting a mohawk.

Got another 'hawk coming next weekend, too. Thinking about more shots.

On a more serious note, treat yourself like a subject. What would you tell someone that you were shooting?

Also, get feedback from others. You may not be in the best position to assess your own image.

Or, like so many others, hold a DSLR in front of your face.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295902 by Mike Ayrouth
Camera and selfies don't work for me. I just don't see myself as a photogenic sort of guy. My wife will say I'm just breaking the camera :rofl: like we haven't heard that one before. Truth is, in all the flash shots we take as a couple, 95% of the time, my eyes are always closed. :rofl:

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295961 by Conner
There's a reason why I don't have my portrait for my avatar :rofl: I'm not good looking! I'm OK with that, some people are born with looks and others are born with the brains. If I had to pick between the two, I'll take the brain any day of the week.

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #295967 by garyrhook
I've made it my sort-of mission to capture portraits of folks that don't like having pictures taken, and produce an image that is flattering and satisfying. I'd love to work with both of you (Conner and Mike).

However, as that is unlikely to happen, I'll just address Conner's suggestion that some have looks, some have brains. I'm happy I didn't have to choose :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #296032 by Kid Prodigy
Doesn't bother me, I just don't take any. All my photos are with my wife or friends.

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #296035 by Leilanee
^ Being a portrait photographer, every time someone is shy or insecure about their looks in front of my camera, I always remark: "I can make anyone beautiful".

That said, I'm too unphotogenic to be photographed by anyone BUT me. :lol:
Seriously, I know my good angles; I seem to be the only person who can manage taking a decent shot of me... even compared to other photographers.

10 years 7 months ago #296088 by Roblane
Not at all, my wife and I have photos of ourselves all over the house. I prefer the goofy funny shots over the more serious nature of my wife

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #296118 by Joves
I have never done a selfie. Fact is I have never been interested in myself enough to do one. I find many other things far more photographable than me.

10 years 7 months ago #296122 by garyrhook

Joves wrote: I have never done a selfie. Fact is I have never been interested in myself enough to do one. I find many other things far more photographable than me.

Besides, you have that adorable cat with the chainmail helmet to use in your avatar. ;)

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #296133 by tCampbell
I've been known to pop off a self portrait here and there. I think it's a great medium of expression and just old fashion fun. My wife will say different :rofl:

Photo Comments
10 years 7 months ago #296415 by Paris Gal
I have a few self portraits, but mostly photos that others have taken of me

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024