What would you do about this?

10 years 2 months ago #339135 by Monster
I bought a used Nikon D700 from a Craigslist buyer today.  When I called him, he said the camera had 37,847 shutter clicks on it.  He also said he was first owner.  When I got home from picking up the camera, I took a couple shots and uploaded one to check the shutter clicks.  It said 54,031!  I called and left the person a message on the number he gave me.  I also went back on Craigslist and the ad had been removed before I could print it out.  This is nearly 20,000 difference!  I'm so angry, but not sure what I can do here. 

Anyone?  Help please. 

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #339143 by Jon Carson
Look at your computers history to see if there is a cached copy of that Craigslist ad.  That's the problem with buying from Craigslist, some people might not be giving you the most accurate information. 

10 years 2 months ago #339209 by effron
Probably nothing you can do. I'll offer this advice: If the camera works well, use it and forget about the difference in actuations. Even fifty thousand clicks is low for a camera of that age. Its still a GREAT "picture takin' device"....
I hope you got a good deal.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #339243 by KENT MELTON
Hopefully it wasn't intentionally told to you wrong.  Mistakes happen, they could have skipped and just guessed?  Who knows, sorry to hear this.   

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #339543 by StephanieW
Craigslist is risky. I consider anything bought off craigslist as an "as is" situation. That said, if I was super concerned about something like this I would have check before handing over the cash. Test it out and see if it works. I feel like that's the most important part.

10 years 2 months ago #339663 by Tuscan Muse
I'm sorry this happened.  But, you have a nice camera even with the higher count.
10 years 1 month ago #339747 by Mike Ayrouth
Well that sucks, any luck reaching the seller?  I hate buying used for that exact reason, you just never know what you are really getting!

Getting BETTER one photo at a time!
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #339937 by I shoot RAW
That is unfortunate.  Good luck!

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #339939 by Stealthy Ninja
On the flip side.

I sold my D3s to some guy and I had put on the ad that it had less than 10k clicks. HOWEVER I found out later how to check and it had about 23k clicks.

I tried to change the ad and let people know who asked about the camera there was a mistake, but it didn't change the buyer acting like a... jerk... about it and leaving a negative comment on the selling site. I sold him a well looked after camera and made an honest mistake.

Oh well.
10 years 1 month ago #340179 by Joves
When buying on the used market there is always a risk. Personally I never buy used bodies from CL, well unless they are film bodies with a lens that I may want. With digital bodies I would only consider used from a reputable dealer like KEH,B&H, ect. I prefer to beat up my bodies from new, not to get someone else's beat, or used one.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024