Will a canvas print be OK to hang in bathroom?

10 years 2 months ago #346705 by Todd Knight
Or will the fabric in the canvas absorb moisture from the shower and mold after time?  

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #346715 by Baydream
You might want to look into clear acrylic sprays to seal the ink. Check with the printer - it may be available from them.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #346739 by tejbon
I wouldn't, any fabric will most likely start to mildew after time

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #346789 by Vahrenkamp
If you must, go with a metal print, acrylic or something that isn't fabric   

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #346807 by Glen Martin
Would the ink bubble in high moisture like bathroom?

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #346979 by Scott Klubeck
Yep, mildew will surely ruin your print if in bathroom for long time.  Unless this is half bath with no shower, or it's just a huge room with plenty of air flow

Photo Comments
10 years 2 months ago #347087 by Frost Photography
I would check with a reputable canvas shop, there might be a coating they can spray on the canvas for something like this.  

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #351399 by P2CDude
Sure... we print canvases that go in bathrooms all the time. We've even done commissions for yachts.

Lets consider this. Most bathrooms get used once or twice a day for showers. (This is the only time you're going to get large amounts of moisture in the air). If I live in Florida, the humidity is likely in the 40-60% for weeks on end for much of the year. Heck, it rains at my folks house there almost every day during the summer at least for a few minutes.

Where I live in Las Vegas, the humidity is next to nil. So which is more of a concern. A canvas hanging in a living room in Florida, or a canvas hanging in my bathroom in Vegas.

Now, We've done canvas prints for "hot yoga" studios which tend to get very humid. we double coat the front (and the back) in these extreme situations. But beyond that, I've never had an issue of moisture or mildew on any prints over the past decade while we've been around.

The one thing I would recommend is that with our prints (and any hung art work in a bathroom) make sure there is a space for airflow at the back of the piece. Moisture can get trapped if the piece lays flush to the wall. That's the only thing I would be worried about.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
10 years 1 month ago #351595 by Todd Knight
Good information, well that answers that. Thanks for all the advise. 

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #351677 by boriqua latina
hey what about insects creeping in there, living and dying in there .. so u got the moisture, mildew,  and the dead insects , and mosquitoes, then the canvas gets dirty after ages,  hey if it was me i wouldnt take a chance and not put my canvas in the bathroom..

10 years 1 month ago #351699 by P2CDude
Mildew and mold come from long term exposure to moisture. Not a shower. As to the insects etc, i would recommend shutting the window over the toilet after you've lit a match.

As to the open back of the canvas, we at P2C cover the backs of all our canvas prints to avoid anything from getting in there and the coatings we use on the front of the canvas allow it to be cleaned with a damp moist lint free cloth. Most other canvas companies offer this type of protection as well.

While Alive...Live....If you Love It...Print it!
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #351909 by Don Fischer
I assume your gonna put it in a frame? Why not just seal the frame front and back?  

4 years 11 months ago #644548 by Barbara Fite
Is that a coating that is applied to the canvas before it's applied to the frame?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024