Nature photography requires 90% patience, 8% luck and 2% skill

10 years 1 month ago #351961 by Tim Kelley
I've been spending more time, looking for those shots that count and have come to the conclusion that good nature photography is all about patience and luck.   I would say skill is the low one on this requirement list.  When I'm out taking landscape photos, I can at least listen to my music as a way to pass time.  With nature, I need to hear what is going on too.  So you really become aware of how slow time gets.  How do you hard core nature photographers do this with out going completely mad?  :silly:

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #351983 by Zeberk
Isn't this the truth!

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #352003 by effron
It helps to be mostly "mad" to begin with. I don't agree with the skill ratio though. I'd put the skill requirement much higher.....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #352041 by Jennifer Krueger
Skill should be at least 5% :lol:

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #352063 by boriqua latina
i dont sweat it, just go with the flow ! I dont believe in luck either...

10 years 3 weeks ago #352269 by Joves

effron wrote: It helps to be mostly "mad" to begin with. I don't agree with the skill ratio though. I'd put the skill requirement much higher.....;)

:rofl: :agree:
Granted it takes a good amount of patience, but I think about 50%. The other 50 is skill at 48. Luck only comes into play for a money shot, but you can get some close to wow shots without it. When shooting nature/wild life the skill comes in scouting out areas to be able to have chance to shoot. Also knowing an animals behavior is another skill you need. Then there is knowing how to hide, and move if need be to get in closer, or to a better vantage point, without being seen. All of this is a set of skills most people today do not possess. Also I see patience as a whole skill set on its own, I know I was not born with it, being part Irish, but it is something I have developed. 
As far af time going by slowly. I like to watch things change with the light shifting. I also like to watch what is going on around me with the common birds mostly doing their thing as I wait for my intended target. I also at times work on ideas in my head while I am in the quite time. It really depends on your mindset as to how well you will do with nature photography, because not everyone has what it takes to do it, like any other subject you shoot.

10 years 3 weeks ago #352447 by TedReichner
I would go with 70% patience, 20% skill, 5% equipment (long lens), 5% luck 

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #352683 by Adam Nagle
I think you took the words from my mouth Ted

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #352813 by Alex
"The right place at the right time", the term started somewhere.  I do think patience plays a large role, however I do believe that skill should be much higher.  Honestly I think patience is a close cousin to "luck" in this example.  So they blend together.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #353237 by StephanieW
I tend to not have the patience to wait on something for a long time. I don't go into nature looking for a specific shot. I just take pictures of what I encounter. But I don't claim to be a nature photographer lol. At all. Landscapes and architecture for me.

10 years 3 weeks ago #353489 by effron
I believe it was Ben Hogan that was accused by Sam Snead following a sudden death loss as  "The luckiest SOB I've ever seen". Hogan's response was,  "yup, the more I practice, the luckier I get".
Fortune favors the prepared, and I don't see a lot of luck in photography, or much else for that matter.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024