Learning Photography: Another Sidebar Miss

9 years 11 months ago #363481 by DSRay
I am another who went through the formal schooling process at a small junior college in the mid-west and actually finished the program.  Unlike Sidebar, my instructors took great pains in relating art history to the practice of photography; a common assignment was to recreate a masterpiece and it teaches appreciation.

But the biggest reason I loved my time at school was that it afforded me experiences that were just not available to me in any other situation.  I bought a brand new 35mm Minolta for school but I didn't have to set up a darkroom or buy an enlarger or chemistry.  I was exposed to all areas of photography from the zone system to glass on a table-top.  I was second shooter for the department head's sideline weddings.  I was using professional level strobes in an actual studio in 1978.  I had access to equipment I couldn't hope to have anywhere else, like learning to use a 4x5 view camera and a color lab.

A lack of business savvy is epidemic to the education system but seems to changing. In my case I learned as a second shooter and the college actually had clients that would give students assignments. Second year students could take independent studies and end up shooting actual jobs.

A formal education will (should) give you a broad appreciation for, and exposure to, the entire realm of photography, not just how to snap a photograph. It will challenge you and provide opportunities that would not otherwise be available.  A formal program is not for everyone but it should not be outright dismissed.

9 years 11 months ago #363615 by KCook

Unlike Sidebar . . .

I keep seeing mention of this "Sidebar".  Wut is "Sidebar"?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #363619 by DSRay
The stuff over there in the sidebar  ==========>  ==========>  ==========>

9 years 11 months ago #363659 by KCook
But ... there is nothing preventing your old school from advertising on the sidebar!  Or izz "sidebar" the new hip term for "online"?

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #363677 by DSRay

KCook wrote: But ... there is nothing preventing your old school from advertising on the sidebar!  Or izz "sidebar" the new hip term for "online"?

And you're asking me what's hip? :lol:

Sidebar is the term website builders/designers use for stuff over on the side of the main content typically consisting of advertising or other related filler.  In this case someone writes those little snippets of wisdom and I just find some humorous in their brevity and UN-insightfulness.  It's just a knee jerk reaction to being fed crap.

I'm sure my old school could advertise there but the last time I visited, there had been a serious decline in both instructors and capability.  The department head makes all the difference is these cases and he left years ago and the program shortly thereafter.  I wouldn't suggest that program to anybody now.

9 years 11 months ago #363711 by KCook
Yeah, Wordpress already taught me the technical definition of sidebar.  I can never make up my mind on whether the darned thing belongs on the left side or the right side of my blog.

Crap is what funds the Internet.  Wish I could attract some to my blog, the income would be nice.

Back in the '60s I visited both the LA Art Institute and Brooks, but did not enroll in either one.  So most of my photography was DIY plus a little OJT.  There are a whole lot more options for training these days, but I'm also living in the past.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #363747 by Joves
Well I do not have a sidebar when I am on this site. :lol:
Also I haver went to school even to learn developing, and printing. I was fortunate in that both my grandfather, and my one aunt  did their own, and taught me. I did not learn any of that till I was 12 though. and then when my grandfather moved I lost my access to a lab. The formal school thing never worked for me. But I was taught old school by my family. Hell I still even on occasion take notes of shots, and what I did.
Business has always been lacking in the Liberal Arts as a general rule. But as you said that is changing to some extent. The business end is, and always has been the death of many of the great photographers.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024