Sweet sixteen photos

9 years 11 months ago #375256 by butterflygirl921
I did a sweet sixteen party two weeks ago here are some of the formal pictures i took let me know what you guys think 

9 years 11 months ago #375264 by MYoung
Beautiful photos.  How precious! 

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375314 by Roy Wilson
Look like it was a nice venue.  Good job on the shot

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375333 by butterflygirl921
Thank you guys they rented out a who wedding hall for this sweet sixteen 

9 years 11 months ago #375340 by Ottis
You captured the magic!  I have photographed only one sweet sixteen and must say your model is much more photogenic than mine was.  I mean to say, yours looks like she is thrilled to be there.  Mine hated the venue and didn't want to be there, and her photos showed.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375396 by Richard Taylor
Well done on getting the moment.  I would cool the white balance just a smidge.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375398 by Lila Gelmann
I like the outdoor one the most.  Better lighting for my taste :)

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375401 by KCook
Technically they are Ok.  But for composition, next time really, really start watching out for distracting backgrounds!  For the flash shots try getting the flash off camera on a stand with an umbrella.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #375418 by Alan Nunez

KCook wrote: Technically they are Ok.  But for composition, next time really, really start watching out for distracting backgrounds!  For the flash shots try getting the flash off camera on a stand with an umbrella.

Kelly

I would agree. The photos look nice and I am sure the client will be happy but watch your backgrounds. The image where she is stilling on the stairs could have been composed better to position the subject so the hall and chandeliers  are framed better behind the subject. and the one where she is sitting on the dance floor has a chair growing out of her head.

...All meant as constructive feedback.

9 years 11 months ago #375430 by butterflygirl921

Alan Nunez wrote:

KCook wrote: Technically they are Ok.  But for composition, next time really, really start watching out for distracting backgrounds!  For the flash shots try getting the flash off camera on a stand with an umbrella.

Kelly

I would agree. The photos look nice and I am sure the client will be happy but watch your backgrounds. The image where she is stilling on the stairs could have been composed better to position the subject so the hall and chandeliers  are framed better behind the subject. and the one where she is sitting on the dance floor has a chair growing out of her head.

...All meant as constructive feedback.

I know and i appreciate it i wish i could of got her more centered on the stairs the family had another photographer that the family hired to do the formal pictures and he kept pushing me out of the way i was doing the "zaps" that went on the big screens during the party and i didnt even realize there was a chair growing out of her head lol i am def going to be watching my backgrounds for now on i did like the outside photos better the venue was very busy with all the candles between shots i kept having to chase staff members and the party people out from the background 
I do need to get a stand for my flash i never thought of doing that thats a good idea kelly :D thank you guys for the feed back its always welcomed i learn from it 

9 years 11 months ago #375438 by KCook
OOPS!  I was not aware that you were not the official photographer.  He likely would frown on a casual photographer showing up with their own light stand . . .

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 11 months ago #375484 by garyrhook

butterflygirl921 wrote: the family had another photographer that the family hired to do the formal pictures and he kept pushing me out of the way i was doing the "zaps" that went on the big screens during the party and i didnt even realize there was a chair growing out of her head lol i am def going to be watching my backgrounds for now on i did like the outside photos better the venue was very busy with all the candles between shots i kept having to chase staff members and the party people out from the background 

(Lack of punctuation aside...)

He ostensibly did the right thing. One guesses that you were completely cooperative, right? Even if he was less than professional/polite?

For casual shots these are fine. Only if you have permission to intercede should you disrupt the workflow of the hired guy. If you were both "hired" then the working relationship should be clarified: who has priority? And if you're not the primary photographer (paid or not) I would never show up with a lightstand. Ever.

I would suggest a 70-200 for events like this, so can get your shots from (relatively)  far away. I also prefer a fairly tight crop since you are never going to have total control over your background. And moving around to try different angles doesn't always work if you need to "get the shot", right?

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375496 by butterflygirl921
We were both hired the only difference was mine had to be perfect to go on the dj screens he had time to edit them theres this new thing called zaps that dj's are offering for sweet sixteens.  The other guy would block my way for the formals the family wanted for the screens and then change the pose and i would have to like stomp my foot to get his attention lol. (i didn't literally stomp my foot)

9 years 11 months ago #375500 by NickSano
Well, regardless who took the photos, it's hard to dislike such a cheery face like that.  I would have adjusted the white balance to be cooler on the inside shots, but that's all minor.  

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375516 by butterflygirl921

NickSano wrote: Well, regardless who took the photos, it's hard to dislike such a cheery face like that.  I would have adjusted the white balance to be cooler on the inside shots, but that's all minor.  

By cooler do you mean whiter or less? 
Thank you :D

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024