I need help cleaning my camera

9 years 10 months ago #379891 by Sara Jacobson
I have managed to get a piece of hair or lint inside my viewfinder.  I have sprayed it with a can of air, but that didn't work.  How in the world does this get in there to begin with?

Help please.

9 years 10 months ago #379894 by garyrhook
What camera model?  Are you positive it's in the viewfinder? As in, have you removed the lens and looked inside to see what you can see?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379910 by effron
What Gary said, and NEVER spray canned air into your camera......:ohmy:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379914 by Sara Jacobson
Oh dear.  Well it's a Nikon D3200.  I thought canned air was good for all electronics.  That's what I did, I took off the lens and sprayed in side.  But the spot still is on my photos.  Actually it looks worse.  :(  

P.S.  You ever get the bad feeling that you did something wrong?  That's what I feel right now.  :(  

9 years 10 months ago #379926 by garyrhook
Well, canned air isn't helpful to DSLRs; the manufacturers suggest that it not be used.

That said...

You say viewfinder, but then say there's something in the images. Dirt in the viewfinder will not translater to the image, unless it's something on the lens.

If you didn't lock the mirror up, the sensor was somewhat protected from the canned air, so that's helpful. Therefore: have you locked the mirror up and looked at the sensor? There may be a hair in there that can be easily removed.

What you want is a puffer, like a Rocket Blaster, for blowing air into the camera. Same as your breath, but without moisture.

Also, remove the lens from the body and take a picture. Still there? If so, then there's probably something on the sensor and it's time to learn to clean your sensor.

Above all, Don't Panic.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379988 by Sawyer
Good advice from Gary  :agree:

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #379997 by Alan Nunez
+1 what Gary said. If you are not comfortable cleaning your sensor then take it to Nikon & they will do it for you.

9 years 10 months ago #380025 by Flash Steven
That's correct, from what I understand (I'm Canon) Nikon has a good service department that can take care of you.  That might be a good option here.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380059 by effron
Send it to Nikon for a CLA. It usually costs forty bucks or so and they clean, lube, adjust and upgrade any firmware needed. It will return as new....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380165 by Frost Photography

effron wrote: What Gary said, and NEVER spray canned air into your camera......:ohmy:

+2 canned air will only make a mess of things 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380170 by Joves
And if now you have spots that you see in the VF is from the compressed air. Those cans of air are notoriously dirty with oils. I do not even use them on my PC boards. If the spots are not showing up in your images then you can either live with seeing them, or not. If you cannot then get it serviced somewhere reputable. 

9 years 10 months ago #380275 by Luca
:agree:    I just learned about that too! 

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #380327 by Blake Vogt
I just made a post about lens cleaning too.  Note to self, don't spray directly on glass! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024