APS-C vs Four-Thirds mirrorless cameras

9 years 9 months ago #380073 by FunnyGuy
My D90 is close to the end  of it's life and I'm researching for a new camera and was noticing that APS-C and Four-Thirds mirrorless seem to be close to the same size.  However considering the sensor is larger on the APS-C, what is the attraction to four-thirds cameras?  

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #380075 by MajorMagee
Four Thirds cameras are basically the same size and weight as APS-C because they're not mirrorless.

Micro Four Thirds cameras are mirrorless and are typically smaller and lighter than the equivalent APS-C.
They also tend to have much lighter lenses.

www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/...ghbIuLRqjHq2bo_D_BwE

shop.panasonic.com/shop/cameras-and-camc...electedTopNavId=nav4

9 years 9 months ago #380215 by william_cpa
Four Thirds are lighter and less intimidating for some. The smaller sensor will limit your ability to achieve a shallow depth of field and you will not have worldwide access to a vast array of spectacularly good lenses
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #380220 by MajorMagee
cache.olympusamerica.com/static/getolymp...les/lens_roadmap.pdf

photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/...nic-lens-roadmap.png

and then there are third party manufacturers...

But if I were you, I'd probably just stick with another Nikon and those lenses assuming you have a few good ones already.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #380221 by MajorMagee
Yes, getting a shallow depth of field with micro four thirds requires trick photography.

9 years 9 months ago #380344 by Blake Vogt
Why is shallow depth of field with micro four thirds tricky? 

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #380354 by MajorMagee
Here's a good explanation of all the issues.

www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digi...mera-sensor-size.htm

There is a Depth of Field Calculator about half way down the page. For example a Micro Four Thirds camera with a 45mm lens at f/1.8 (a very popular lens) will produce the same angle of view and depth of field as an APS-C 56mm at f/2.3. It's the same concern of what you're giving up (or gaining) as going from Full Frame to APS-C.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #380369 by KCook

Blake Vogt wrote: Why is shallow depth of field with micro four thirds tricky? 

Nuttin tricky about it.  But, to get the same background blur as APS-C, you need to get the camera closer to the foreground subject.  Which may or may not be considered a difficulty.

When I want max background blur, I still use my APS-C DSLR.  APS-C choices for mirrorless are very tricky (unless you are already a fan of Canon EOS M, Fujifilm, Samsung, or Sony).  To wit -
  • Canon EOS M - No EVF model, extremely limited native lens selection
  • Fujifilm - Just plain expensive (at least in the USA market), limited zoom lens selection.
  • Samsung - Uhhh, right.  Samsung has never caught on in the USA market.  Lenses actually aren't bad, not so confident of the bodies.
  • Sony - Early NEX were very consumer focused, which started NEX off on the wrong foot.  Latest models are much improved, native lens selection is still hit-and-miss.
M4/3 is much simpler - Olympus rocks!  (Sorry Panny)

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #380379 by william_cpa

MajorMagee wrote: cache.olympusamerica.com/static/getolymp...les/lens_roadmap.pdf

photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/...nic-lens-roadmap.png

and then there are third party manufacturers...

But if I were you, I'd probably just stick with another Nikon and those lenses assuming you have a few good ones already.

This would be ideal for anyone wishing to buy the full range of lenses available. For those of us who rent equipment when needed, there are not too many bricks and mortar rental departments worldwide that stock these lenses. That would be an important factor for some when considering the purchase of a micro four thirds camera.
8 years 6 months ago #453312 by KCook
I rented a Canon 760D and Oly E-M10 to make my own comparisons for IQ.  Here is a link to my findings for the more common Landscape modes -

Canon 760D vs Olympus E-M10: Landscape controls 

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 6 months ago #453315 by Shadowfixer1
I have been shooting m43 since July of 2014 and have come to realize that the "you can't get decent background blur" to largely be BS. The same principles apply. Isolate your subject and make sure the background is a good distance away and you will get good isolation results. The size and weight advantage is a major factor in choosing m43. I have a Nikon D200 and I haven't used it since buying my Olympus EM-10. The range of lenses available are very good and generally much cheaper than other lenses. The big limitation is in very long lenses. There are some scheduled to come out but at the moment the ones available are pretty good consumer grade lenses. I'm talking about lenses over 300mm. The Oly Pro 40-150 with the available convertor will get you out to 420mm with superb quality but it is pricey. I just purchased the 75mm 1.8 Oly lens and all I can say is WOW. It's one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen.

I had the urge the last couple of weeks to go with a Sony full frame. The only one I looked at was the Sony A7. It is the original and the cheapest. I went to Best Buy and they let me shoot some with my card in it. I processed the images and knew right then that I was staying with my OLY. The difference was nearly undetectable and in some instances, the Oly outperformed the A7 in my eyes. I have no doubt the newer A7's would do much better but the cost and limited lens choice at this time makes the Sony a no go for me.  The m43 system is a dang good system. The largest drawback to mirrorless at this time is focusing for action shots. The more expensive cameras are capable but not quite up to DSLR's yet. I have yet to try action shots with my EM-10 yet, but plan on a trip to the skateboard park very soon to see what it will do. Good luck in your choice.
8 years 6 months ago #453316 by Shadowfixer1
I'll add one more thing. The "what you see is what you get" image in the viewfinder is a MAJOR advantage over DSLR's. You know what the exposure will look like before you snap it and can adjust accordingly.
8 years 6 months ago #453324 by KCook
THANK YOU for the A7 comparison :cheers:

The A7 also tempted me, a little.  But my thinking is that by the time Sony finally gets the A7, and lens lineup, squared away Canon or Nikon will likely get serious about mirrorless.  And all of today's fine calculations will be out the window!

I just took two E-M5s with 4 lenses on a scenic vacation.  This made a sweet setup, with less lens changing thanks to the 2nd body (rented).  No way I would have lugged that much gear along in the DSLR size.

oldbones

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024