No love for fixed 50mm fans with APS cameras

9 years 10 months ago #383595 by Kid Prodigy
Now why hasn't there been a fixed 50mm APS camera?  Seems most are around 28 and 35mm. Considering the focal length 50mm has some aged roots in photography, wouldn't it make sense to have fixed 50mm APS camera?   

Canon EOS 7D|Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L USM |
Canon EF 50mm F/1.4 USM |
(2) Canon Speedlite 480EX II

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #383600 by KCook
Those roots are with full frame cameras.  Field of view is too narrow on a crop body for general use.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 10 months ago #383601 by Superman
Sigma DP2 ;)

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #383604 by gdbrekke
Agree with KCook. On APSC cams, a 50mm is equivalent to a 75-80mm lens, which is nice for portraits.

Most manufacturers make a a 35mm (or near 35mm) lens for APSC, which gives a 50mm equivalent on full frame.

I used to have Nikon's 35mm/1.8 DX lens on a D200. It was a really great lens. 
9 years 10 months ago #383610 by william_cpa

KCook wrote: Those roots are with full frame cameras.  Field of view is too narrow on a crop body for general use.

Kelly

+1 for that, 50mm used to be as close to normal for 35mm film to be the film version of a kit lens.

Although the current Canon 50mm 1.8 II is so cheap that it is hard to not recommend it to beginners who have kit lenses that are 10 times slower. $99 for 1.8 to 22 is very tempting.
9 years 10 months ago #383639 by Joves
Well a FF 35mm on a dx/1.5 sensor is 52mm, so it is close enough. Nikon does make their 40mm Micro which for all intents is also close enough as it is a normal view lens as well. 

9 years 10 months ago #383661 by william_cpa
Normal for APSC (dx) is 29mm. Normal for 35mm FF is 43mm.
9 years 10 months ago #383662 by Scotty
50mm is still 50mm on a crop or full frame cam.  Reach changes though.  

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #383667 by garyrhook
:agree:  

<math and geometry nazi>
What he said. Crop factor and sensor size have no affect on focal length, which is fixed.  There's no "equivalence".
</math and geometry nazi>

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #383669 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: :agree:  

<math and geometry nazi>
What he said. Crop factor and sensor size have no affect on focal length, which is fixed.  There's no "equivalence".

Technically correct, but people need a way of relating what they will get between different formats so call it what you want but  there is an equivalent.
9 years 10 months ago #383679 by garyrhook
Since there'a trend of late for taking threads in new directions,

Shadowfixer1 wrote: but people need a way of relating what they will get between different formats

Why?

And how often do people really need to compare behavior in formats?

Since focal length can not change, ever, and it was the marketing departments of the manufacturers that instigated this nonsense, why do we continue to propagate something that is technically incorrect? Especially when, mathematically, it is impossible to produce identical results with 2 differently sized sensors?

Boy, I hope I don't have to pull out my "Stand back, I'm going to use math" t-shirt.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago #383682 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

<math and geometry nazi>

Technically correct, but people need a way of relating what they will get between different formats so call it what you want but  there is an equivalent.

Agreed.  Everybody knows what you mean when you say it's this many mm's on crop. I'm just putting out information for education purposes.

I actually believe, (correct me if i'm wrong anybody), mm is measured by the distance between the rear element and the sensor?

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #383686 by hghlndr6

Scotty wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

<math and geometry nazi>

Agreed.  Everybody knows what you mean when you say it's this many mm's on crop. I'm just putting out information for education purposes.

I actually believe, (correct me if i'm wrong anybody), mm is measured by the distance between the rear element and the sensor?

According to Nikon, it's not a measured distance but a calculated one.  Didn't know that.

"Focal length, usually represented in millimeters (mm), is the basic description of a photographic lens. It is not a measurement of the actual length of a lens, but a calculation of an optical distance from the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image of an object to the digital sensor or 35mm film at the focal plane in the camera. The focal length of a lens is determined when the lens is focused at infinity.
The focal length tells us the angle of view—how much of the scene will be captured—and the magnification—how large individual elements will be. The longer the focal length, the narrower the angle of view and the higher the magnification. The shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view and the lower the magnification."

www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Ar...ng-focal-length.html
9 years 10 months ago #383689 by Scotty

hghlndr6 wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

<math and geometry nazi>

According to Nikon, it's not a measured distance but a calculated one.  Didn't know that.

"Focal length, usually represented in millimeters (mm), is the basic description of a photographic lens. It is not a measurement of the actual length of a lens, but a calculation of an optical distance from the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image of an object to the digital sensor or 35mm film at the focal plane in the camera. The focal length of a lens is determined when the lens is focused at infinity.
The focal length tells us the angle of view—how much of the scene will be captured—and the magnification—how large individual elements will be. The longer the focal length, the narrower the angle of view and the higher the magnification. The shorter the focal length, the wider the angle of view and the lower the magnification."

www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Ar...ng-focal-length.html

This is why I could never be an engineer.  Interesting stuff.

Photo Comments
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #383726 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: Since there'a trend of late for taking threads in new directions,

Shadowfixer1 wrote: but people need a way of relating what they will get between different formats

Why?

And how often do people really need to compare behavior in formats?

Since focal length can not change, ever, and it was the marketing departments of the manufacturers that instigated this nonsense, why do we continue to propagate something that is technically incorrect? Especially when, mathematically, it is impossible to produce identical results with 2 differently sized sensors?

Boy, I hope I don't have to pull out my "Stand back, I'm going to use math" t-shirt.

Why? Here's why. I just purchased a mirrorless camera. I wanted a Fuji because I like Fuji images. I've been using Nikons for years and for 95% of what I do, I use the 18-200 VR lens. The reason I didn't buy the Fuji was they didn't one lens to cover what my 18-200 does. Olympus did so that is the system I bought into. People always want to compare behavior in the different formats. In fact that's always the first question to come up when discussing different formats. Sorry you don't understand this but it is true. If you don't want to know the equivalency, fine, but I don't see the need to try and correct someone when they talk about equivalent focal lengths because in the groups I speak to, that's one of the very first questions asked. When digital first came out, it was always the first question asked. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just don't understand the soapbox on this issue. Why does it matter if someone wants to know.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024