Speaking with model on phone to set up shoot?

9 years 9 months ago #385872 by Kayce
I have always been interested in nature, wildlife and landscape and just now exploring portraiture.  I have just hired a model and we are meeting this Saturday.  I asked for her phone number so we can speak about the shoot and she replied with wanting to speak via email only.  She also indicated she doesn't give out her phone number.  Now I'm a woman myself so I partially understand the privacy issues with this.  But figured seeing the situation, and that this model is getting paid by me that there would be more communication options.  This is my first model I have hired, so don't have many expectations of how things should flow.  

What I would like to know is if there are any photographers out there that would set up a paid photo shoot with a model that you have never worked with before, without speaking to her prior?  Would you be good with just email communication?  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385897 by ubookoo
I am assuming you have already seen what she looks like and just want to speak with her directly. However, if she has the look you want and you have agreed upon compensation I can understand how you may want to build a rapport with her. Not so sure I would worry too much about that as long as she is willing to take direction and acts professionally.

If she doesn't want to give out her phone number, and If I really you want to speak with her the best way to do this is a video skype call.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your images!!

9 years 9 months ago #385898 by icepics
Do you have a website or a way for the model to confirm that you're a photographer and view your work? I don't do portraits or hire models but in general I'd think someone may not be comfortable giving out personal info. to someone they don't know. 

If you continue with portraits, or even now with your other types of photography, maybe you could develop a way for prospective models to find out more about you and be able to confirm that you're legit (as in - an actual photographer, not some nut with a camera! which is the case I'm sure but people might want a way to know that).

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385902 by william_cpa
I can understand that you are now the employer and should have normal access for times etc.
You are also now in the spectacularly flaky world that models inhabit. Unless you are paying large sums of money, working with models can often seem like trying to bounce a ball underwater.

Take what you get and have fun until you have established a sound working relationship with one or two models and things will get better. As an example, we were running some classes where we needed paid models. Easy money but not huge money. I contacted more than 100 models who were advertising themselves locally online. We ended up with 5 who bothered to return our emails or come to the school.

Good luck :cheer:
9 years 9 months ago #385911 by KCook
Funny post William :rofl:  :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to work up my courage to hire a model.  Though I'm thinking about attending one of those showcase meets by a local model group instead of doing it entirely online.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 9 months ago #385915 by Kayce
She doesn't have a website, but we have become friends on Facebook and she has sent a number of recent portraits of herself.  She has said a couple times these photos of her are from the last 6 months.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385922 by garyrhook
Meet for coffee.

Yes, they can be flaky, as can most folks. But that's just unprofessional, in my book.

I think one of the biggest problems, if you're dealing with a young person, is that they seem to think they do not need to adhere to business conventions, specifically regarding communication. I don't have time for that, and I would move on. Gimme your damn number or I'll find someone else that is interested in working with me.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, I can be curmudgeonly. But business is business. Deal with it, or find another job.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: IzzieK
9 years 9 months ago #385943 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: Meet for coffee.

Yes, they can be flaky, as can most folks. But that's just unprofessional, in my book.

I think one of the biggest problems, if you're dealing with a young person, is that they seem to think they do not need to adhere to business conventions, specifically regarding communication. I don't have time for that, and I would move on. Gimme your damn number or I'll find someone else that is interested in working with me.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, I can be curmudgeonly. But business is business. Deal with it, or find another job.

:agree: :goodpost:
I was going to suggest that as well. Meeting in a public place to break the ice essentially, is better to do before hand instead of the day of the shoot. If possible naturally.

9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #385963 by garyrhook
$0.02 more.

The problem here is that it sounds like the OP doesn't have much experience directing subjects for posing. So, find a model that (ideally) knows what they are doing. But what if they don't? What if you can generate chemistry? Sounds like an expensive lesson.

IMO if you have no history shooting people, find a willing victim (a friend; no offspring, especially teenagers, unless you enjoy pain) and practice with them first, for free.

I would rather trade pics for time with someone that I know than pay an unknown model. At least until I get a bit better at this.

[This just came by on FB:  fstoppers.com/editorial/communication-vi...-often-ignored-12518 ]

Again, just another $0.02.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #385973 by Kayce
WOW you guys are so helpful.  Gary you are right, I'm very new at this area of photograph.  I have been practicing with friends and family, but wanted a model with posing experience.  Hence hiring this one.  :P

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386060 by Howard T

Kayce wrote: WOW you guys are so helpful.  Gary you are right, I'm very new at this area of photograph.  I have been practicing with friends and family, but wanted a model with posing experience.  Hence hiring this one.  :P

Family and friends always line up at family functions, which make a great place to build free experience. 

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386081 by Hassner
I can understand the side of the model too. - 'You pay me for half a day for next week, but then you bother me every other day on my phone, even when I am working. I can not bill for these times. I will answer mails when it is convenient for me.'

I would have gone with a non-model as well. When you get a model that knows how to pose, you do not learn anything about directing the pose. You do get models that only pose on direction, but then rather get your pretty cousin for free and you both learn.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386097 by Roy Wilson

Hassner wrote: I can understand the side of the model too. - 'You pay me for half a day for next week, but then you bother me every other day on my phone, even when I am working. I can not bill for these times. I will answer mails when it is convenient for me.'

I would have gone with a non-model as well. When you get a model that knows how to pose, you do not learn anything about directing the pose. You do get models that only pose on direction, but then rather get your pretty cousin for free and you both learn.

:agree:     valid and good point

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #386117 by boriqua latina
Email her , tell her you want to meet and go through the photoshoot details with her in person , then set a date ...start with that first ...

9 years 9 months ago #386196 by Kayce
You all are so helpful, thank you for the continued help

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024