Whats your process for scouting new locations to shoot?

9 years 8 months ago #392608 by Tim Dordeck
Ever sense I picked up a camera, it seems I'm constantly looking for new places to photograph.  I've even jumped on Google maps with street view to 'walk around' a certain area to find possible cool locations.  I was at one point trying to find deserted buildings, but had a tough time with that. 

Anyone have some tips or just share your process of finding new spots in general? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392624 by Tuscan Muse
First, I decide what subject matter interests me.  Then, I scout locations and visit them during different times of day, seeing when the light is best.
9 years 8 months ago #392693 by Damon
I drive around, but most time I just make mental notes when I'm heading to and from places. 

9 years 8 months ago #392723 by effron
I use google Earth to find my way, as I can find photo subjects anywhere I go....;)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392755 by Jennifer Krueger
As with others, I first look on Google with a variety of key word searches for my area.  Then I also ask other photographers at clubs I belong to.  When we go on walks or drives I'm also always scanning for interesting things I might want to photography when the hubby isn't with me. 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392835 by hillbilly4rent
I second Google Earth, I'm most of the time in rough terrain so scouting ahead with GE and a topo map. When I get to an area I just set my eyes in the back of my head and try to see the forest through the trees.

9 years 8 months ago #392845 by Sawyer
+1 Google is your friend on many levels

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392874 by Alex
 I'm all about Googles resources too.  I run and go mountain biking a lot so, during these times I'm always looking for those spots that might have some potential.  I'll make note of those spots in "notes" on my iPhone. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #392940 by Sandy Smith Photos
+1  Google street view 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #393089 by Joves
I just drive around, and make mental notes, or stop and shoot. I do not use google anything. :P

9 years 8 months ago #393152 by Robert Chen
All of the above 

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #393245 by [email protected]
It does depend on what I want to shoot. I've been obsessed with sunsets lately and living in Chicago makes it tough to find a nice clean place to get a horizon shot. So I'll drive SW of Chicago to get to "back roads" (quoted because you have to go WAY away from Chicago to find true back roads and farms) and then as I see good spots, I'll jot down the location in Evernote on my phone for later.  

I just wish Chicago was on the East side of Lake Michigan so sunsets over the water would be possible! Some one once told me there's an equivalent to sunsets though. Something called "sunrises" or something. I've yet to experience this mystical thing though.

9 years 8 months ago #393349 by tCampbell

Joves wrote: I just drive around, and make mental notes, or stop and shoot. I do not use google anything. :P

:agree: except  for the Google statement :silly:

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #396719 by Ben Vanderbilt
I go on daily walks and always have a note pad of paper with me.  If I find someplace worth revisiting, I'll come back with my camera.  This principle works the same when I'm driving around, although it seems most of my spots have been found on my walks.  

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #397055 by photographyelement
I don't know how many times I've wished for the same thing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024