Workflow/process that software could solve

9 years 8 months ago #394298 by [email protected]
I was wondering that with technology being able to make anything easier these days (i.e. "There's an app for that"), what is missing from the photography world? 

What types of workflow, processes, manual tasks do you have that some piece of software could solve or at least make easier? Some sort of iPad/mobile app, a website, standalone software...

Thoughts?

9 years 8 months ago #394346 by Howard T
I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for? 

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #394402 by [email protected]
I was just wondering about technology in general in relation to photography. There's so many cool apps and tools out there that make our lives easier. Yet there's still many things we still do manually or takes time.

One thing I think would be nice is a good app/site that can manage my business better. Tailored to photographers. One that tracks clients, orders, income/expenses, current gear, wishlist gear...you name it. 

9 years 8 months ago #394410 by cod

RickWalterPhotography wrote: One thing I think would be nice is a good app/site that can manage my business better. Tailored to photographers. One that tracks clients, orders, income/expenses, current gear, wishlist gear...you name it. 

This kind of thing ?  There are others also. I haven't used any of them to comment further.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

9 years 8 months ago #394621 by [email protected]
Nice! I'll look into that one!

9 years 8 months ago #394802 by Ido
I'm very much fine with using Lightroom, so I'm not sure if my statements here will qualify, but really all I want is some improvements to Lightroom. As I use that software to manage my photo library, and it is my workflow basically, I wish I could stay within its walls more.

I wish Lightroom could detect sequences of shots for panorama upon import, and automatically stitch them using Photoshop's Photomerge default settings (or let me choose the settings on import). I wish it also did the same thing with sequences for HDR, and automatically combine them to 32-bit files, as Photoshop does. Then it should hide the sequences (for both panoramas and HDR), but not yet delete them.

Content-Aware Fill inside of Lightroom would be nice, to fill in the blanks in stitched panoramas, but that might be a bit far-fetched. Still, this discussion is for hypothetical "wishes", isn't it? :)

And last but not least - a Publish Services plug-in for Instagram! Yup, I do share some photos there. As long as it's available without the awful "filters", I'll be happy.

9 years 8 months ago #395001 by garyrhook

Ido wrote:  wish Lightroom could detect sequences of shots for panorama upon import, and automatically stitch them using Photoshop's Photomerge default settings (or let me choose the settings on import). I wish it also did the same thing with sequences for HDR, and automatically combine them to 32-bit files, as Photoshop does. Then it should hide the sequences (for both panoramas and HDR), but not yet delete them.

Um, no. Panorama construction in particular is very intensive; I don't any anything deciding for me that it's time to put one together. Also, with too many images, even PS can get confused and not do a proper job. (Well, PS CS5, anyway.)

Additionally, I do initial processing of my pieces in LR first, then take them to PS for construction. It's quite easy to select the pieces, send them to PS, and stack them together in a group that will contain the produced .PSD file.

Content-Aware Fill inside of Lightroom would be nice, to fill in the blanks in stitched panoramas, but that might be a bit far-fetched. Still, this discussion is for hypothetical "wishes", isn't it? :)

And last but not least - a Publish Services plug-in for Instagram! Yup, I do share some photos there. As long as it's available without the awful "filters", I'll be happy.

The healing brush in LR is somewhat content aware.

Instagram requires a mobile phone to post, doesn't it? I don't think there's any other way to do so. I'd like to be able to post from my browser instead having to send photos to my phone, save them, then upload them. But that's an IG issue that no one else can resolve.

Photo Comments
9 years 8 months ago #395012 by Ido

garyrhook wrote: Um, no. Panorama construction in particular is very intensive; I don't any anything deciding for me that it's time to put one together. Also, with too many images, even PS can get confused and not do a proper job. (Well, PS CS5, anyway.)

Additionally, I do initial processing of my pieces in LR first, then take them to PS for construction. It's quite easy to select the pieces, send them to PS, and stack them together in a group that will contain the produced .PSD file.

The healing brush in LR is somewhat content aware.

Instagram requires a mobile phone to post, doesn't it? I don't think there's any other way to do so. I'd like to be able to post from my browser instead having to send photos to my phone, save them, then upload them. But that's an IG issue that no one else can resolve.

I get what you're saying, and it makes sense.
There's only one type of editing I do to the RAW files, before merging them to a TIFF / PSD panorama - highlight and shadow recovery. I'd rather work on the image as a whole than make one part of the image look as I want it to, and then sync the changes to all parts. Doing the highlight-shadow recovery during the RAW processing ensures I have as much information to work with as I possibly can, because the TIFF file doesn't contain all of the RAW file's versatility.
As for the stitching being an intensive process - it usually doesn't take more than a minute to complete on my PC (though it's largely dependent on the number of images to stitch), and it's not even that powerful of a PC. And even if it took 5 minutes, I'd rather have it done automatically while I'm waiting on the RAW files to be converted to DNG and copied to my hard drive (that's my workflow, I'm pretty patient I guess), than have to slow down my editing process while I'm already working on images, just to let Photoshop creating another file for me to work on.

I guess Lightroom's healing brush does inherent some of the Content-Aware healing brush in Photoshop, but what I meant was Content-Aware Fill, to fill the blank areas that were left behind in the stitching. In Photoshop, it works so well most of the time that I barely have to crop, even if I shot the panorama handheld.

Yes, Instagram only allows uploading from a smartphone.

9 years 8 months ago #395079 by garyrhook

Ido wrote: As for the stitching being an intensive process - it usually doesn't take more than a minute to complete on my PC (though it's largely dependent on the number of images to stitch), and it's not even that powerful of a PC. And even if it took 5 minutes, I'd rather have it done automatically while I'm waiting on the RAW files to be converted to DNG and copied to my hard drive (that's my workflow, I'm pretty patient I guess), than have to slow down my editing process while I'm already working on images, just to let Photoshop creating another file for me to work on.

I'm not really intending to hijack this thread, so I'll keep this short. I understand what you're saying, although a current effort to combine 10 16MB RAW images is bringing my i5 with 12GB of memory to its knees. That's my reference point.

But I still don't see how LR (or any software, for that matter) is supposed to know what your intent is re: combining images.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ido
9 years 8 months ago #395082 by Ido

garyrhook wrote: I'm not really intending to hijack this thread, so I'll keep this short. I understand what you're saying, although a current effort to combine 10 16MB RAW images is bringing my i5 with 12GB of memory to its knees. That's my reference point.

But I still don't see how LR (or any software, for that matter) is supposed to know what your intent is re: combining images.

Never said my wishes are supposed to be practical right now. Maybe creating some sort of a reference point while shooting can go a long way towards making that wish come true. :drool:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024