Why the big fuss over electronic view finders?

9 years 6 months ago #401460 by Athena
In the last week I have found a couple of peoples remarks to be negative about electronic viewfinders.  I have been shopping for a mirrorless camera and they all use electronic viewfinders.  I sent an PM to one of the people who had made such remarks about why they didn't like it.  I have not heard back. 

Do you have an opinion on electronic view finders?  If so, please share it. Would this opinion rock your boat from buying a camera with this technology getting used? 

Thank you

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #401530 by TCooper
There's only major difference I can think of is looking at one of these at night, it's not as sharp as looking in normal view finder. 

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #401533 by Shadowfixer1
The bad is there is still some lag time in EVF's but not as bad as in years past. The good thing about them is you see what you get exposure wise. Try ro get focus peaking or zebras with an OVF. LOL
9 years 6 months ago #401558 by MajorMagee
They've been working perfectly for me since 2011.

9 years 6 months ago #401592 by Moe
Speaking of electronic  view finders which Camera maker makes the best?

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #401605 by MajorMagee
Sony uses OLED so it's described as the best, but the latest Olympus OM-D E-M1 has a 1.48X magnification viewfinder with  1776 x 1332 resolution (2.36 million dots) that runs at 34.5 frames per second (29 milli-second response time) and +2 to -4 diopter adjustment.

9 years 6 months ago #401682 by KCook
I see this as a quality issue.  I would rather have a good quality OVF than a poor EVF, and vice versa.  For me the best thing about an OVF is zero battery drain.  I can quickly check the scene in the viewfinder without waiting for the camera to power up.

In my view the really sweet viewfinders were on classic 35mm rangefinder cameras.  The better ones (Leica, etc) had a bright frame to show the lens coverage, so some of the scene beyond the edge of the image could be seen.  Which was nice for acquiring moving subjects.  DSLR viewfinders have never had that advantage.

oldschool

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 6 months ago #402206 by MajorMagee
They just updated the E-M1 to run at 62.5 frames per second (16 milli-second response time)!

9 years 6 months ago #402447 by Athena
Ok, well that answers that.  I guess sooner or later with the direction of technology, we all might be looking through one of these.  

Photo Comments
9 years 6 months ago #402701 by Joves

Athena wrote: Ok, well that answers that.  I guess sooner or later with the direction of technology, we all might be looking through one of these.  

That is not necessarily true, at least in the US. The US is the smallest market for the EVF cameras. The only time I get fussy over the whole EVF garbage is when someone makes the statement of how they are the death of the OVF cameras. Or the statements that the OVF are inferior. It is a lot like when people claim phone cameras are superior, or will kill off the Dslr market. Otherwise I do not care what people shoot with, or prefer. 

9 years 6 months ago #402736 by Stealthy Ninja
I've had and tried a few cameras with EFV. Here's my experience... at first I did NOT like them... but they have gotten a lot better over the years. So here's my chronological experiences:

Sony NEX 6 and 7. Didn't like it. Laggy and too dark. Apparently you can adjust them to be better though.
Fuji Xpro1 it's ok, bit laggy though, usable. Fuji improved it a lot with firmware though.
Sony A7. Near perfect. Gain is added in low light (gain = iso for video) so it can get a bit grainy in low light, BUT it doesn't lag much and WYSIWYG which is nice. Just wish it was a bit bigger and they implemented manual focus modes a bit better
Fuji X-T1 This is THE BEST EVF I've used. It's HUGE and clear. I really like it. The side by side Manual focus assist mode is awesome...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024