Question about having a site mobile friendly?

9 years 5 months ago #409239 by Meskill
I'm having a new site built and I was asked if I want it mobile friendly.  Of course there was an additional fee associated with a 'yes' answer.  It's about a 29% increase in price.

Do you find many of your clients accessing your site from a mobile site?  I'm trying to decide if it's good money spent here.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409254 by garyrhook
The sad reality is that more and more people look at websites on tiny, inadequate screens. A site needs to be mobile adequate in some way.

The question you need to answer for yourself is, what will your customers and potential customers need to do on your website? Browse a small portfolio that shows your skills? Read about you and your services? Review portfolios and images before making purchases?

I think that these are some of the questions you have to be able to answer before you decide what you need.

Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409367 by Flash Steven
Absolutely, that is good investment there.  As Gary pointed out, mobile is becoming a must have.  I think in the next few years, this will continue to become of greater importance to site owners. 

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409409 by Drew Fletcher
+1 go for it.  Think about it, how much more have you accessed various websites on your smart phone in the last few years?  

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
9 years 5 months ago #409426 by cod
I think you would be foolish not to have a mobile friendly web site.  A few years ago you could predict with reasonable accuracy what size/resolution screens your visitors would likely be using and design a web site with a fixed width that would work on most monitors.  The rapid growth of mobile devices has changed all that.  There is no longer just a few standard screen sizes out there.  Sites need to adapt to different sizes and orientations.  Responsive web design is the big thing in the design community in recent years.

There are several ways to achieve mobile friendly sites.  One way, not particularly recommended, is to essentially create 2 different sites, with the appropriate one being served up according to the device requesting the web page.  A better way is fluid or responsive sites.  Here the content rearranges and resizes itself based on the size and orientation of the screen.

The growth of mobile devices and touch screens has also changed the way people interact with web pages.  Modern web design is leaning towards more scrolling and less clicking, simpler designs, clever use of white space to allow for scrolling space and separation of elements, and other trends. 

For me, responsive/mobile friendly is a no-brainer.  The more important questions are the ones Gary asked earlier about the purpose of the site.  Then use a designer who understands responsive and can make the visitor experience the best it can be.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024