Gone for 11 years, now back and need help picking photo gear

9 years 3 months ago #419832 by Jakov Barnes
13 years ago, I started photography as a hobby, bought all this new camera gear and unfortunately 2 years after starting was laid off from my job and had a tough time getting a new job quickly.  We had only 5 months of savings at the time. I unfortunately had to sell my photography gear to make my mortgage payment.   Luckily I picked up a job (and I'm still there) shortly after this!  Now nearly 11 years has gone by and I'm ready to get back into photography.  However so much has changed (in terms of gear).  

When I was shooting, I loved photographing people, landscapes and when my wife and I traveled.  I have $5000 to spend and I would like to get as much as I could with this.  If you were in my shoes and knowing what you do, how would you spend that $5000?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419860 by KCook
This could be a fun topic!  My dream team would be a Canon 70D + Fujifilm X100T + Sony RX100 (original).  Which would leave lots of $$ left over for lenses, tripod, and studio gear.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #419872 by effron
Five grand would get me over halfway to the af-s 600 f/4 I've been craving......How would you spend it? I've no idea.....:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419883 by Eric A
Why not go with a Nikon D810, a used 70-200mm, 24-70mm and a 50mm

Welcome back!  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419908 by John Landolfi
What kind of photography will you want to do, at lest, initially? What will you do with your captures? Are you going to print, and, if so, what size? Are you mainly going to shoot for yourself? Will you need very long or very wide lenses? Just a few questions to help direct your search.
A good initial choice might be the Nikon D7100, which produces good sized files, has a very good color palette and resolution, and accepts a very wide range of Nikon lenses, including some excellent MF ones which can be bought inexpensively. Since you'd probably want to print at some level, you might look at some of the very good, not expensive Epson printers now available. And you should leave room for some software, minimally Lightroom, to process your RAW (please!) captures. Good luck, and let us know what you wind up getting!:cheers:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419923 by Frost Photography

John Landolfi wrote: What kind of photography will you want to do, at lest, initially? What will you do with your captures? Are you going to print, and, if so, what size? Are you mainly going to shoot for yourself? Will you need very long or very wide lenses? Just a few questions to help direct your search.
A good initial choice might be the Nikon D7100, which produces good sized files, has a very good color palette and resolution, and accepts a very wide range of Nikon lenses, including some excellent MF ones which can be bought inexpensively. Since you'd probably want to print at some level, you might look at some of the very good, not expensive Epson printers now available. And you should leave room for some software, minimally Lightroom, to process your RAW (please!) captures. Good luck, and let us know what you wind up getting!:cheers:

OP made comment about that - "When I was shooting, I loved photographing people, landscapes and when my wife and I traveled"

I agree with John about the D7100, good camera!

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419949 by SJM
Sony A7 or Panasonic GH4 

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419957 by garyrhook

Eric A wrote: Why not go with a Nikon D810, a used 70-200mm, 24-70mm and a 50mm

Where I live a new D810 + 70-200 will put you over $5K already.

He's an amateur: A D610 is likely adequate, and it's on sale right now.

And screw the 50mm. I'd suggest the current D750 + 24-120 f/4 (on sale still, I think) and find a used 85 f/1.8 D. You'd have $1500 left over towards a 16-24 f/2.8 super wide angle, which is only a bit more than that.

If you don't want gear that high end, +1 on the D7100.

Congrats on your success in your current position, BTW.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #419958 by garyrhook

SJM wrote: Sony A7 or Panasonic GH4 

:rofl:

I think the OP was asking a serious question.  :whistle:

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420026 by Jakov Barnes
Good morning and thank you all for these answers.  What a pleasant surprise this morning.  

I'm not looking for the absolute best gear, it's been a few years, so I'll need to work back into the groove.  I am however looking for gear that will last me a least a few years before I start wanting to upgrade.  Now I notice most of you are recommending Nikon.  How does Canon models line up to these that you have recommended?  

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420035 by KCook
For a full frame DSLR, I could be talked into a Nikon.  But for the crop body models I much prefer Canon ergonomics.  Of course this a personal call, D7100 fans may strongly disagree :evil:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 3 months ago #420036 by John Landolfi
I'm recommending what I use. The D7100 is my backup body (D3s is the main), and I have used it to produce prints that have been sold. I also have several MF Nikon lenses I use with it with excellent results. I have not used any Canon products, except for my G11 P&S, and I am very satisfied with its capabilities. You likely won't go wrong with any camera from Canon or Sony, etc. at the D7100 level.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420045 by Don Fischer
I would say look to B&H refurbished camera's. Completely gone through by Nikon and sold as refurbished in the used camera section. Last time I looked a refurbished D7000 was under $700! Doesn't have the Nikon warranty but does have, I think, a one year B&H warranty. I have bought some reburbished Len's and no trouble with them and couldn't tell them from new. If you don't want to go the refurbished route, I'd look at the Nikon D5300. It's only about $15 more than an entry level D3300, The D5300 new from B&H is $796.95. I would use the rest of the money on a few good lens. A Nikon 80-200 f2.8 runs about $1000. The 70-200 runs about $1400. A new 70-300 Tamron could be had for $450 or the 70-300 Ninon for $587. Not a lot of difference in the price of the two. For about $3000 you can have a very nice camera and couple good len's and the other $2000 can be saved for down the road when you've a better idea of what you want. Come to think of it, you might get an 18-200 lens for a walk around lens. Caan pick one up for between $400 and $600.

Recently I have started using my old D70, forgot how much I really liked it! The only problem with it was resolution, 6mp made some very nice photo but to be able to crop more, 6mp let me down. I upgraded to a D5000, i think it's 10 or 12 mp. Hard to believe how much I can crop now and still get good photo's. My own next camera will be probably a D7100, faster focusing on moving dog's. I also held one in town a couple years ago, maybe it was the D7000 and it felt very good in my hands. Bit bigger body like my D70. 

I don't have a Tameron len's any more but had one years ago that got stolen. Was very nice as I recall. Tamron per on 24hr campfire, in the phoography section, shoot's their len's and post's them there, the Tamron len's impressed me a great deal. I do still have a couple Sigma len's and while I get good photo's with them, they feel inexpensive! I have the 28-200, 70-300 and 170-500. The 170-500 barrel will slide down when I point the camera down, otherwise I'm happy with it.

9 years 3 months ago #420166 by garyrhook
I suggest Nikon because I shoot Nikon. The suggestions should give you an idea of what to look at for features and price. And what you can afford with your budget (which is very generous, by the way; you don't really need to spend that much to get started).

Now it's up to you to go do your homework and compare the brands. Although Nikon and Canon are the only ones that will make that difficult. The 2nd tier brands don't have as many choices to consider.

You also really need to hold the camera in your hand. Most folks find they have a preference for a particular body style, which drives their decision-making. Don't buy a camera that isn't comfortable.

And also look at the interface and controls. Don't buy a camera that doesn't make sense. Your choice now will most likely lock you into a path that becomes expensive to change. Not impossible, just expensive.

+1 on considering refurbished gear. Another way to save money and wade in gently.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420256 by Flash Steven
Canon 60D will be a good option for you.  The body alone will cost you just under $1000 at B&H or Adorama.  Leaving you most of your budget for the glass:

I would go used with all the glass to save some bucks.  There are a few places I would suggest for buying used: KEH, B&H, Usedphotopro.com, and if you are lucky there are some deals on eBay. 

70-200mm
100mm
16-35mm
24-70mm

You might even have some left over for flash and tripod. 

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024