Photographing a skyline at night with full moon in focus?

9 years 3 months ago #420639 by Blake Vogt
If I wanted to take a photo a skyline and still have the moon in focus, what is the best way of doing this?  If I lock focus on the skyline, I'm thinking the moon would be just a white dot.  Alternatively if I focus on the moon, then the skyline becomes blurry.  What's the trick to getting a shot like this? 

I can't imaging trying to focus between the two?  Then neither would be completely sharp? 

9 years 3 months ago #420655 by garyrhook
If you are far enough away to get a skyline, your focus will be set at infinity. The trick will be exposure due to varying light levels, and your focal length.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420668 by John Landolfi
:agree: . One way is to shoot two images, each of which will be properly exposed, and, using the right lenses, the moon will be large enough to matter in the final, combined  image

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420671 by garyrhook

John Landolfi wrote: :agree: . One way is to shoot two images, each of which will be properly exposed, and, using the right lenses, the moon will be large enough to matter in the final, combined  image

In other words, "cheat" and composite in post.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420736 by John Landolfi
Why "cheat?" Do you know how to get the moon to a decent size in one shot? doing cosmetic surgery in PP doesn't count...:)

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420753 by Don Fischer
How come using Photoshop is cheating here but not on other photo's?

9 years 3 months ago #420808 by garyrhook

Don Fischer wrote: How come using Photoshop is cheating here but not on other photo's?

That was a (not very subtle) dig and reference to another thread, wherein someone recently railed at the use of PS to process images.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420809 by garyrhook

John Landolfi wrote: Why "cheat?" Do you know how to get the moon to a decent size in one shot? doing cosmetic surgery in PP doesn't count...:)

Well, a rather long lens, and a landscape that allows you to get far enough back to compose and capture what you want in the shot. That's not easy to do (sometimes impossible depending upon the subject matter) so a composite may make sense for some folks.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420812 by JeremyS
My method of approach would be a composite approach. I'm more comfortable with that tactic now that I do my own hdr blends too. 

As for the moon thing, I'd be fine with putting the moon in, just please dear god don't make the moon stupidly big. I can't stand that when people oversize the moon and make it absolutely ridiculous in size. That bugs me lol.

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420837 by PT Talker
I don't think focus is going to be your problem with that type of shot. You can get decent sharpness on the moon and closer objects by using a narrow aperture. IMO, the challenges with a shot like you're describing are exposure and focal length. Exposing for a night skyline is probably going to overexpose the moon. You're probably going to need to use a fairly wide angle to get the skyline, which is going to make the moon appear small.

That's why (again, IMO) you'll see a lot of composites like that, and I completely agree that there's a huge tendency to make the moon too big. I seem to remember that this video covers shooting for composites:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/tips-and-t...-photograph-the-moon

Also, for what it's worth, composites were made long before the advent of Photoshop and the moon was a common subject for them then, too. It just wasn't as easy to do in the darkroom.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #420855 by garyrhook
Let's play "how to / how not to". Here's my favorite bad moon image (as a URL):

So what's wrong here?
  1. The moon is far too large
  2. The moon is apparently a vampire: it has no reflection
  3. This view is looking northward / northwest-ward
I can't even enjoy any artistic aspect of something this wrong. Not that I think it's any good on any level.

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #420898 by effron

You also need to come to terms with "completely", or "acceptably" sharp.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421019 by John Landolfi
Here's what I meant:

Single exposure, to include the moon as well as a cityscape:

Seattle-2012-II-From-Queen-Anne-No2 by gianbur , on Flickr

Composite, where I chose to feature the space Needle:

Seattle-2012-II-Nightscapes-As-it-should-be by gianbur , on Flickr

Photo Comments
9 years 3 months ago #421366 by Blake Vogt
Ahhhhhhhh much better, thank you 

9 years 3 months ago #421369 by John Landolfi
Post what you get!:cheers:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024