Would you do this deal?

9 years 2 months ago #422652 by Rawley Photos
I have a prospect who wants me to photograph their corporate event.  I'll spare you the details of the job other than it's a complete full day job from 8am to 6pm.  Here's where things get interesting, they want to give me a "Semi used" Canon 1DX in exchange for the rate I would normally charge.  From what I gather this camera was a company camera that someone thought they would learn how to use and never got around to it.  

Oh, and I'm an Nikon shooter, so would mean I would have to convert to Canon.  

Would you go for this?  

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #422668 by EOS Man
Does it come with any glass?  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #422675 by effron
Semi used? If the camera was in good condition, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Also, why restrict yourself to one system?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #422690 by garyrhook
The lowest price I see on Amazon for a used body is $4,000, and it goes up from there. No used bodies on eBay.

I don't know what your day rate is (which is what I would charge, so something around $2000, or more, for me) but that's the price point under discussion. Have you looked at the body? Is it in good condition cosmetically? Does it work properly? You can always take the body and either use it or resell it. Nothing says you have to change systems. You could always trade the body in at a camera store for other equipment, too.

All that said: get everything in writing, including commitments about the body in its current condtiion. I would write up a contract that specified my normal charges and deliverables, then add a clause about the swap as compensation, so that they know what value they are getting.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #422795 by Joves

garyrhook wrote: The lowest price I see on Amazon for a used body is $4,000, and it goes up from there. No used bodies on eBay.

I don't know what your day rate is (which is what I would charge, so something around $2000, or more, for me) but that's the price point under discussion. Have you looked at the body? Is it in good condition cosmetically? Does it work properly? You can always take the body and either use it or resell it. Nothing says you have to change systems. You could always trade the body in at a camera store for other equipment, too.

All that said: get everything in writing, including commitments about the body in its current condtiion. I would write up a contract that specified my normal charges and deliverables, then add a clause about the swap as compensation, so that they know what value they are getting.

:agree:
Yeah pretty much what he said. Carry a card, take a shot, and get a roundabout idea on the shutter count. You can shoot both systems with no problem, and remember that you can use your Nikon glass on the Canon body with an adapter. So as I see it, if this is legit, then it is a win. 

9 years 2 months ago #422824 by Karen Comella
Yes and I would name my next kid after them :woohoo:

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #422985 by icepics
Do you need the camera? or really want it? It would be possible to accept compensation other than payment, but I'd want to get paid for my work, not have to take a camera I didn't want or have to sell it to get paid for the work I did. 

Do they just not want to pay you? why don't they just sell the camera themselves if they bought it and hardly used it if they think it has that much value?

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423004 by Screamin Scott
Sure, I'd do it.... Check it out first though. If they bought it to use but never did, I'd suspect it had at least one lens with it...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423105 by Happy Snapper
Now assuming it's working and is like new condition, Yes.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423171 by Flash Steven
OH yes, that's a good deal.  I would jump on that one too. 

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423291 by Ben Vanderbilt
With out thinking about it... yes.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423415 by Ottis
How many times has the shutter been fired?

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423510 by garyrhook

Ottis wrote: How many times has the shutter been fired?

Somewhat irrelevant. Shutter replacement is inexpensive. What matters is the condition of the camera body, and whether it works at all.

Photo Comments
9 years 2 months ago #423582 by Jakov Barnes
OH yes, in a heart beat

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #424156 by Mark Saunder
With out question.  The only doubt I have is if this offer would even be offered to be considering my relatively new experience in the industry.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024