Could video kill photography?

9 years 1 month ago #427196 by W Cage
Is it me or do you notice more and more buzz about video these days?  Not only with the manufactures, the media as well as more videographers popping up on YouTube and such.  If a camera doesn't have video, it just doesn't have that media spark that others do have.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427218 by Don Fischer
I don't think so. Ever seen a video framed and hanging on the wall? How about magazines and news Be hard to put a video in a newspaper or magazine.

9 years 1 month ago #427219 by KCook
Digital frames have been around for years.  No reason why these should not eventually replace "organic" frames, and a digital frame has no problem displaying video.

So, yeah, video could eventually replace still photography.  Just like color replaced black-and-white.  B&W is still with us, just does not dominate the way it did 75 years ago.  Ditto for still photography in the future.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #427231 by effron
Maybe replace it some, but it won't "kill" it. There has been video for well over a century and still photography has flourished in that time. From an art standpoint, I see video as less imaginative. I have video on my two most recent cameras and still haven't used it.....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427239 by Glen Martin
:agree: exactly, video is hot right now, but no way is it going to take over still photographs.   

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427253 by garyrhook
*sigh*  Apples and oranges. Why conflate?

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427292 by Roman Omell
Well because the manufactures are have done so.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427297 by ubookoo
Well....Video Killed The Radio Star!

JK...old song for you that remember.

I don't see that happening in the near future. If you look at how the popular app Snapchat is used, although there is a video option, 99% of every snap chat created by a user is a single image and not a video.

Having said that, I do believe that video is ultimately more powerful and engaging and will continue to gain popularity along side single image options.

9 years 1 month ago #427300 by dragosticu
Hello!

Don't think so!
One image could be much more stronger than a three minutes video... An image will tell a story immediatelly while a video will tell a story after 3-5 minutes.

9 years 1 month ago #427311 by David Mckeegan
Not a chance in hell

The only reason camera manufacturers are pushing video in cameras is so they appeal to more people, making an alternative to be big camcorders for videographers and is more appealing to the general public, hence why phones have cameras built into them now as well, its just a handy tool to have

But will video kill photography - Nope because they serve two very different purposes
Videos are good for developing a story and its characters but it can never match the instant impact you get from a good photograph

9 years 1 month ago #427356 by KCook

Videos are good for developing a story and its characters but it can never match the instant impact you get from a good photograph

However, a "photograph" that includes some motion (think GIF here) could have even more impact.  And once you add that motion, it is no longer a still image, it's a subtle video instead.  This is already a common technique in advertising.  It will eventually become more accessible to the public, just as color imaging did.

<fade in>Kelly<scroll down>

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 1 month ago #427382 by Janos
Gain traction yes, take over, doubtful 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427433 by Ryan O
Interesting thought, but not possible on a variety of levels.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427577 by Colorado Mike
Good one Ubookoo!  "Video killed the radio star" was my line for this thread :rofl:

Seriously, think about all the places you use photos and see if you can insert a video.  That's your answer. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427608 by KCook

Colorado Mike wrote: Good one Ubookoo!  "Video killed the radio star" was my line for this thread :rofl:

Seriously, think about all the places you use photos and see if you can insert a video.  That's your answer. 

Very true, for today.  But the OP was asking about the future.  Digital media may eventually replace paper altogether.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024