How are you mounting photos for display?

9 years 1 month ago #427494 by Don Granger
You mind me asking what you are using to mount your printed photos?  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427498 by Hassner
It depends for what purpose.
If it is for an exhibition, it depends on my budget.
One I had 40 reusable frames made up. Some I sold framed, the rest I used for years afterwards.
Another exhibition was against cloth. I just window-framed the prints with mount board and stuck Velcro on the back. I put up the 50-print exhibition in 15 minutes.

If it is numbered art prints, it becomes more complicated with quality materials used for lifetime guarantee.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427500 by Don Granger
I'm going to be buying an new photo printer (not sure which one yet), as I have a number of my new shots that I really want to mount. This will be for my own home.  I don't have much mounting experience, so wanted to see what others here might be using.  

Certainly appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks!

Don

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427522 by icepics
I buy mats and frames; I know some people cut their own mats. I typically print 8x10 or 8 1/2x11 size images and mat and frame in 11x14 size. I've done my own and for exhibition.

I use hinging tape to adhere the prints to the mat. If you look up Lumiere Photo in Rochester NY they did have a video tutorial on how to use the hinging tape (which they sell). The self adhesive kind is pretty quick and easy to use.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427529 by stuartsbarbie
Since I print a lot of my work, I go to the dollar store and buy cheap certificate frames.  They are 8.5 x 11 and since I print boarder less it works well.  I have this 2-3 inch molding that the previous owner had put up in the hall and I change my pictures every couple of months.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427549 by garyrhook
3M adhesive on mat board (acid-free, if it matters for the print, otherwise the cheap stuff) then framed. I will put 16x24" prints on single-layer foam board and use 3M Control to stick it to the wall.

You can have Hobby Lobby or Michaels mount a print for you; it's not an unreasonable expense.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427559 by hghlndr6
Spray Mount adhesive to the back of the print & affix to mat board, or foam board, if I'm not going to mat it.  If I'm going to mat it, then I tape it to the back of the mat, along the top edge only.
9 years 1 month ago #427585 by Don Granger
Valuable tips, thank you everyone.  You mind me asking where you are buying your supplies?  I'm thinking hobby stores like Michaels should have some of this stuff right?  I'd like to try to pick up some stuff today.  

Let me know.   Thank you in advance!

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427632 by Don Fischer
I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is putting a great photo in a poorly made mat mat or a cheap frame. Premium cars would not sell well with rattle can paint jobs. The whole product you display is going to reflect on you! Print extra copies but put the display one in a nice frame/mat. Had a guy clean some lens for me years and he told me to frame everything I wanted to sell then ask a lot of money for it. ie, have a really good job of framing and mating done and offer it for say, 16x20, $450. If someone is willing to pay it, you sell it. Most people that really are buyer's don't realize what framing cost's so you also offer just the print for $90. They go for that thinking framing doesn't cost that much. If I remember he said a $400 framed print makes a print alone worth $90!

9 years 1 month ago #427655 by hghlndr6

Don Granger wrote: Valuable tips, thank you everyone.  You mind me asking where you are buying your supplies?  I'm thinking hobby stores like Michaels should have some of this stuff right?  I'd like to try to pick up some stuff today.  

Let me know.   Thank you in advance!

Yep, Michaels should have everything you need.
9 years 1 month ago #427691 by Jessa Layton
To be honest, the few photos of mine that I have framed were done by a shop near by my home. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427709 by Alan Nunez
These are my 3 favourite mounting options:

1. Reverse mounted acrylic
2. 20mm foam core
3. Professional Matt and frame.

9 years 1 month ago #427735 by Happy Snapper
With the exception of one in my office on foam board, all mine have been professionally mounted.   

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427801 by Nancy Hait

Don Fischer wrote: I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is putting a great photo in a poorly made mat mat or a cheap frame. Premium cars would not sell well with rattle can paint jobs. The whole product you display is going to reflect on you! Print extra copies but put the display one in a nice frame/mat. Had a guy clean some lens for me years and he told me to frame everything I wanted to sell then ask a lot of money for it. ie, have a really good job of framing and mating done and offer it for say, 16x20, $450. If someone is willing to pay it, you sell it. Most people that really are buyer's don't realize what framing cost's so you also offer just the print for $90. They go for that thinking framing doesn't cost that much. If I remember he said a $400 framed print makes a print alone worth $90!

This is so true.  I had a shot that was originally placed in an expensive frame, just for the sake of having a frame.  When it was finally installed in a nice frame, it made a world of difference.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #427890 by Happy-pixel
Well it depends on where the image is going to be displayed.  Most of the time, it will be a nice frame that I had a shop do for me. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024