Can you make money with photography, and still have it be a hobby?

9 years 1 month ago #429718 by TGonzo
I've heard so many saying once they went full time with photography that it stopped being fun.  I've read that stock photography is no longer a viable way to make much of anything.  So my question today is:  Can you maintain a 'hobby' status, yet make money with photography?  I'm sure there is no easy answer to this, so feel free to leave a blunt answer.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429800 by effron
Yes.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429825 by Roger Lang
Nope, full timer these days 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #429871 by Jessa Layton
Sure, plenty of ways.  Just some are more lucrative then others.  I wouldn't go wagering on stock photography.  

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430045 by Joves
Depends on where you live. There are various ways to make money from it that will not burn you out. If you are in a tourist area then you could go with postcards, and greeting type of cards. Generally speaking you want photos that are of things that are obviously of your area, but not the usual photographed things. Or if they are of attractions, very good shots of them. This is where being a local has it advantages since you have time to get the money shot of it, as where the tourist do not. 
Also try to get prints in doctors offices, and other waiting areas. You offer free framed photos for their office, with maybe your business card somewhere in the office, directing people to you site for prints. Also offer to change out the photos every so often, something you would need to do for doctors offices, since it is for the locals for the most part. You can also try and get them in local coffee shops as well.
Now granted this will cost you initially, but pretty much everything does. And it is a risk as is anything you do when trying to make money at something, but you can never win, unless you have tired and lost along the line. You just have to think outside of the traditional business box.

9 years 1 month ago #430144 by One Wish
It's how I make my living, but still very fun.  It's all about separating the work from the play. 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430252 by TvPhotos
It can still be fun and a full-time job. 

There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish.
9 years 1 month ago #430272 by KENT MELTON
Why not? 

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430305 by Don Fischer
If you want to keep it a hobby, I wouldn't let the IRS know your selling anything. Soon as you start selling anything, if you sell enough, the IRS calls it income and I would think  photo contest's would classify you as a pro. It would probably be a good idea to sell enough that you could call it a business. Unless IRS rules have changed much in the past ten years, write offs can be huge.

9 years 1 month ago #430353 by icepics
I think it depends on how much you'd make. Where I live you have to make a certain amount a year before it's enough to be considered income. Selling an occasional print for example might keep you below that level but if you get into making enough and doing photography jobs for pay and handling other people's money (payments) that seems to get into becoming a business owner.

Try looking at the IRS site and the one for the Small Business Administration. Look up PPA or http://asmp.org for info. on photography as a business.

It can still be enjoyable doing photography as work but then may no longer be just a hobby.  

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #430436 by Overread
I've seen so many 'hobby' photographers transition to paid and for many it's a downward path of interest.  It becomes just a job and the spark is gone with them.  The true artist, the person who is continuously looking for that 'shot', is always stimulated with taking the shot, regardless whether it's for pay or for fun.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024